Field Target near Wellington NZ?

curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Field Target near Wellington NZ?

Post by curan »

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if there is a range shooting Field Target near Wellington?

I know it's just an off chance, but it looks like I could be in Wellington on Sunday in 4 weeks (11 May) and if there happens to be a Field Target match nearby, I would love to roll up and see how it is shot.

Any info is most welcome........

cheers, curan
uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

Re: Field Target near Wellington NZ?

Post by uncakikki »

Curan,

Sure is mate, the WFTF World Championships are being held there later this year. PM "Greyskull" aka Adam Welsh as he is one of the organisers or the event and a forum member and see if he can fill you in.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Thanks for that Uncakiki, I've sent him a PM.
greyskull
Favourite Cartridge: JSB EXACT 4.52mm

Post by greyskull »

Hi guys.

Ngaio rifle club usually has the Grenada North FT range open most Sundays by default. The only wrinkle being the weather. If its blowing a gale or cold and rainy its unpleasant to be there.

I've asked the question of the range officer and await the reply which I expect to be what I have already said, depending on weather, but open by default.

Curan you would be welcome to drop by, might even get a few shots with some members rifles.

Only thing is Grenada North is not typical of what we do here with FT. It is a "make the most of it" shooting ground so doesn't reflect what FT is supposed to be, but has a good set of members who compete Nationally. Good equipment on show too.

Best bet keep me up to date on your movements (PM sends an email to my inbox) and I will tie up something if possible.

http://nzairgun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1016.15

kind regards
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Hi Greyskull,

I can confirm I will be in Wellington on Sunday 11th May.

However there may be another fly in the ointment apart from the possibility of bad weather.....that day is Mother's day in Oz.

Not sure what day you fellas do Mother's day on, and I don't know if that would stop you shooting (I know my local range has no programmed events on Mother's Day).

Anyway, I'll send you a PM......

cheers, curan
greyskull

Post by greyskull »

I've been in contact with the club. Seems the only reason it won't be active that day is if the weather is really bad, as it is an exposed hillside area.

If it ends up with nothing doing, first you will probably know is when you get to call or txt me when you dock. Its a bit of a travel for me, so if its cancelled due to weather I won't make the trip down, but if its open I will make the trip and take you there for as long as you have time for, and then take you back to the floating hotel.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

That is a very kind offer Greyskull.

I've just sent a PM to you.....

regards, curan
greyskull

Post by greyskull »

We'll look after you that day.

A couple of us are already looking forward past September, and asking why we should not travel across there for a shoot one weekend. Maybe we shall have a chat about it.

With the "Europeanization" of the northern block FT shooting countries, its time we got our collective southern heads together for a southern competition series.

Once we get our heads around the paperwork requirements, there's no real financial barrier to use coming over for a weekend or longer.

cheers
Adam
greyskull

Post by greyskull »

Well I met Wayne off the "lurve boat" at around 9am this morning.

After a bit of a wait for things to open up (it is NZ on a weekend you know) we got to the range and chinwagged quite a lot about this and that.

Wayne had a good day I reckon, got to shoot a bit on a day he got permission to go out and play.......many others wouldn't have.

Lovely clear skies if a bit cold, but I think we treated Wayne to a nice Kiwi day out.

Wayne: it was a real pleasure to meet you, I hope you got a sense of what we are about, and you enjoyed playing with a couple of things out of my toybox. You are a real top bloke, and thanks for taking the time to seek us out and spending it with us.

Fellas, Wayne has a couple of interesting pics to show you when he gets back.

kind regards
Adam
Last edited by greyskull on Mon May 12, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Good onya for taking the time to help a bloke out.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good work Skull. :D
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

When you were in NZ did you have a shot of anybody's "sex point five" or were they using "30 oh sex's"?
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Knackers wrote:When you were in NZ did you have a shot of anybody's "sex point five" or were they using "30 oh sex's"?
Neh brew, neh sintarfieyah, jis ehyer riffles. Wen sivin sivin. :lol:

All jokes aside though, I got to shoot a few very nice air rifles, and could not have been made more welcome by our mates across the ditch. Very very hospitable, and they didn't razz me up too badly either!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

curan wrote:
Knackers wrote:When you were in NZ did you have a shot of anybody's "sex point five" or were they using "30 oh sex's"?
Neh brew, neh sintarfieyah, jis ehyer riffles. Wen sivin sivin. :lol:

All jokes aside though, I got to shoot a few very nice air rifles, and could not have been made more welcome by our mates across the ditch. Very very hospitable, and they didn't razz me up too badly either!
Hell that took some reading LOL, I'm hearing you on the hospitable line. :wink: