Re: 308 air rifle vs fox Skull

Post by curan »

Thanks for that Stinkitup.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

It is a shame the didn't test a 35ft lb 22 that 30 has some punch how's the availability of pellets?
Thanks for sharing.
Ol 55
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I think they said the 308 was putting out about 77 ft.lbs so a little more than the 22 doing 35. 50 gr pellet I think. I have read if foxes and cats shot in the head with a r9 so 9nly about 15 ft.lb so your 22 should do it Gary.

To rub it in I think both of those were suppressed.
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

If you can call a fox in within 25 metres, 35 FT lbs in .22 should bowl them over with a Noggin shot.

Just make sure its a fairly heavy slug.
Ol 55 wrote:It is a shame the didn't test a 35ft lb 22 that 30 has some punch how's the availability of pellets?
Thanks for sharing.
Ol 55
Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Post by Yrrah »

[quote="stinkitup"]Interesting comparison on you tube.

7 years ago I was banned from a Brit forum for daring to mention shooting foxes and ridiculed for writing of the sub MOA accuracy of my .22 Excalibre. Note our Chris Thomas had shot the first 100 metre sub inch groups 5 years earlier.

So now we have the UK gurus discovering what we and now thousands of shooters around the world have known and been doing for many years. They will now lend legitimacy to these things as they discover them; the next stage is to re-write history. The Brits really do live in a parochial world of their own.

I, and I know others, can assure that over the whistle a .22 of 25 fpe will lay any Brer fox low.
My brother cleanly killed a fox from near range at his fowl yard with a head shot from a Gecado .177 and the old Wasp pellet.
My brother has been at rest now for 20 years, bless him. He was a better bush shot than I ever was or ever will be ....
Stink, I may drop by at Mulbring? some day for a cuppa. ... Kind regards, Harry.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Yrrah wrote:
stinkitup wrote:Interesting comparison on you tube.

7 years ago I was banned from a Brit forum for daring to mention shooting foxes and ridiculed for writing of the sub MOA accuracy of my .22 Excalibre. Note our Chris Thomas had shot the first 100 metre sub inch groups 5 years earlier.

So now we have the UK gurus discovering what we and now thousands of shooters around the world have known and been doing for many years. They will now lend legitimacy to these things as they discover them; the next stage is to re-write history. The Brits really do live in a parochial world of their own.

I, and I know others, can assure that over the whistle a .22 of 25 fpe will lay any Brer fox low.
My brother cleanly killed a fox from near range at his fowl yard with a head shot from a Gecado .177 and the old Wasp pellet.
My brother has been at rest now for 20 years, bless him. He was a better bush shot than I ever was or ever will be ....
Stink, I may drop by at Mulbring? some day for a cuppa. ... Kind regards, Harry.
Harry, I've been waiting for your next post. Been a while. I have been lucky enough to meet Lewis, and one day it will be you. I agree with everything you have posted, as I've never seen anything to the contrary that's been worth it. More strength to you my friend!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Harry your welcome any time for a cuppa ....might even have a glass of vino :)

Ryan
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Harry, I've been waiting for your next post. Been a while. I have been lucky enough to meet Lewis, and one day it will be you. I agree with everything you have posted, as I've never seen anything to the contrary that's been worth it. More strength to you my friend![/quote]

Well I did get close when you were in western Qld. The bush fires stopped us from driving right in. I was quite disappointed but it was the right decision at the time. ... We are so thinly spread around this huge land that face to face is hard. ... But I have been doing interesting stuff, just not writing so much about it which you may understand .

40 metres, 300 grain pellet, 280 fps, 52 fpe, (maximum range measured 461 yards) :

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kyogle/ ... f.mp4.html

3 at 40 metres:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/ ... 181516.jpg

Kind regards, H.
Last edited by Yrrah on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

stinkitup wrote:Harry your welcome any time for a cuppa ....might even have a glass of vino :)

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. ... Best R, H.