Treevort,DrG and Ogre

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Treevort,DrG and Ogre

Post by MISSED »

Pat I thought all Win m 70`s were 1 in 10. But I googled twist rates for m 70`s and found that they come in 3 twists,1-9 which is very rare the "normal" 1-10 and the Varminters had a 1-12.So I did the cleaning rod trick and came up with 1-12.This sort of makes sense as most blokes would be pushing varmint weight projies in a varminter.

Pat you are more than welcome to come up and give the old girl a run :D

Marco I am no expert in wood mate but the SIL thought it was American Oak
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

MISSED wrote:Pat I thought all Win m 70`s were 1 in 10. But I googled twist rates for m 70`s and found that they come in 3 twists,1-9 which is very rare the "normal" 1-10 and the Varminters had a 1-12.So I did the cleaning rod trick and came up with 1-12.This sort of makes sense as most blokes would be pushing varmint weight projies in a varminter.

Pat you are more than welcome to come up and give the old girl a run :D
Never knew that- cool

The Remington factory 100's must be quite forgiving then because they grouped well enough to be considered as a pig or goat load if i ever decided to take the m70 after them-
but
I had a few 6.5x55's at that time so the M70 never got a run on big ferals
I originally got it to burn up the barrel on ferals/permit culls and turn it into another 6.5x55 and off load some of the M96's taking up safe space.

I was over at David Kerrs of Melbourne for some other work and I showed him the M70 and asked his opinion on it.
I knew that Winchesters QA was a bit hit and miss for a decade or so there.
DK did some measurements on the action and said it was one of the good one's.
So I got him to accurise the action, de-burr and polish the feed, put everything on center, re-crown with a target crown, pillar bed, float and smooth the trigger-

I wanted it to be accurate for purpose- but not BR accuracy- what I asked DK to do was make it reliable- so that it worked day in day out more so than the screw the last "tenth of a MOA" out of it.
I knew what sort of life I expected her to have- a working gun under the light
but
It didn't turn out like that- I didn't have to burn the barrel- DK did such a good job misses under the light were rare

Much more than 50% of the time using a reduced load I filled the permit quota without a miss- and she was patched out warm and given a spray of wipeout and put in the gunbag ready for the propper clean in the morning

Missed health permitting I would love to take you up on that offer

I went to the garage this morning looking for an old loading diary- the load pages for that old girl have been ripped out- sorry.

Have any of you guys heard of a BR shooter from NSW (sydney) with the last name Warwick? Barry is a possible first name but dont know......
He makes 66 and 68 or 69 BR projectiles- or at least he used to
I used to use his "seconds"- the projectiles that came off the line before the dies warmed up- in the model 70 with a medium load of 2209 as a cheap culling round as well
I used his heavy weight projectile seconds if I remember correctly
They grouped equally as well as the 70 TNT and were $20/100 and skippy on permit didn't know the difference when one entered his brain box- lights out- as it should be

I downloaded these culling loads to allow me self spot off the roof of the ute. It was a few of grains down from max and under the light it made SFA to the distance we could hit them at- or the end result.
200-220 yards is (was) a long shot under the light most shots were a lot less than that

hope these ramblings of a very brain fucked previous owner help in some way

P
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Nice finish Missed, no matter how old it is or how hard a life a timber stock has endured, a good piece of walnut will oil up up a treat with proper care. Old timber displays a patina and ambience not surpassed by modern synthetics.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

ogre6br wrote:.....Have any of you guys heard of a BR shooter from NSW (sydney) with the last name Warwick? Barry is a possible first name but dont know......
He makes 66 and 68 or 69 BR projectiles- or at least he used to
I used to use his "seconds"- the projectiles that came off the line before the dies warmed up- in the model 70 with a medium load of 2209 as a cheap culling round as well
I used his heavy weight projectile seconds if I remember correctly
They grouped equally as well as the 70 TNT and were $20/100 and skippy on permit didn't know the difference when one entered his brain box- lights out- as it should be. P
G'day Pat,

Yes, Barry is the big Chief RO out at Silverdale and is in the Hall of Fame-twice I think.

I only spoke to him about his 6mm projectiles last week-66.6 grn.

Andrew,

That is a good score, generally those who own Model 70's will not sell them and you would be hard pressed finding one on the shelves of any Gun store.

Regards

Sean
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

G'Day Andrew

Sorry for the late reply. I am out of the office at the moment and only have limited web access. I will put up a propper reply when I get back mate. I like the dark colour and I have some ideas for filling the open grain, will let you know

Dr G
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Yeah I think it was a good score as well Sean,but the other M70 in my safe was a better score.It had fired 100 shots before I bought it for $500 :wink:

Cheers Dr,I am looking forward to it
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Sorry for the delay mate

You have probably worked this out but what I do to fill the grain is to fully coat the stock with the oil/beeswax mix allow it so soak in then rub it back with steel wool I just keep doing this over and over again until it is getting hard to get the oil to soak in. At this point I just rub it back wioth a soft cloth then oil it and rub. after a while you just wont be able to add more oil.

By having tung oil in the mix you will see the number of coats needed reduced but you will get a darker colour. The other advantage is a slightly tacky finish which lends itself to good grip.

If you are chasing that london oil gun finish you will probably want to work down through the wet and dry paper first with metho and later with the oil as well but for me I like the look of the duller "bush finish" you get from just using steel wool.

Again sorry for taking so long. I have been out and about again but today I am laid up waiting for the dust storm to blow itself out. My world is orange at the moment visibility was down to about 4-500m earlier. :D

Dr G
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

MISSED wrote:Yeah I think it was a good score as well Sean,but the other M70 in my safe was a better score.It had fired 100 shots before I bought it for $500 :wink:

Cheers Dr,I am looking forward to it
:o thats a steal that rifle shot 55s to 87s beautifully while i had it!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

So this is where it all started Andrew?

Sounds like that old Mod70 had some stories to tell.

Marcus
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Yes Marcus the slippery slope.

I had done a few before this but had used Truoil and had never really been overly impressed

I do things a bit different now