AusVarminters Project 7/08

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

AusVarminters Project 7/08

Post by lowndsie »

Well Ive finally decided on the sites first project. Its going to be a tactical custom in 7mm/08. Its main use will be for long range varminting as well as picking off goats and pigs in open paddocks.

After much thought I've decided to use a remmy 700 action. I'll be buying a new remington sps in 308 and selling off the stock and barrel. This way I get a new action for bugger all dollars. I'll be sending off my pta shortly so I'll be able to pick the rifle up as soon as it arrives.
Still not sure on barrel and stock but it's looking like a HS Precision stock and MAB stainless heavy barrel.
I'll be posting all stages of the buildup on here as they happen, so any advice along the way will be much appreciated.
Last edited by lowndsie on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Can I suggest a more upmarket barrel for the project ? MAB make a good barrel but if I were looking for a tackholer I would look for something else.
Lilja or Kreiger springs to mind as two that are available without *too* much of a hassle. I also know a bloke who will true the the action for you at a fair price. He will also do the trigger if you ask nicely :D

Find a smithy with a tight neck / match reamer if you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy. Cases should be prepped carefully also. Including sorting by weight, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring and neck turning (if you manage to find a match reamer) and of course, neck size only until cases become tight to chamber.
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Not sure on the legalities of bringing in barels from the states??? I can imagine it would be quite hard as I remember having dramas getting a 303 heavy barel down from qld!! But I'll look into it for sure. I'll grab that contact off you once I have received the rifle. Thanx for the info!!!! :D
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Contact with kreiger will be slow as they are only taking enquiries from police / military dealers!!!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I've always been under the impression that MAB, MAddco & Tobler were some of the best barrel makers out there with the big ones in the states and I'd personally rather deal in Aus if doing something like this. Plenty of Bench rifles out there winning comps with barrels from these 3 makers!
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Certainly Maddco and Tobler tubes are world class and make appearances in the benchrest equipment lists regularly (Maddco more so) However, there is a long long waiting list for a Maddco and I would rather slam my fingers in a car door repeatedly than deal with Robert and Dennis Tobler after they made a mess of my 220 Swift. MAB also make an excellent tube but they seldom appear of top flight bench rifles.

There should be no need to import your own tube... The Victorian Rifle Association sell Kreigers and apparently Shane Clancy on 02 6959 9800 sells a smattering of Lilja's.

http://www.riflesa.asn.au/PriceList.htm
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Hey Guys,
Wiz is correct , i import Lilja, Shilen and Hart blank rifle barrels from the US.

Lilja is the most common barrel i import due to their quality and there flexability for barrel orders. Their time frame to produce my orders is around 10 weeks landed here to my shop. Which makes it very handy for building custom rifles in a reasonable time frame.

I also have a 7mm08 match reamer and a standard reamer as well as about 100 other chamberings.
So if i can be of help give me a call.
cheers,
Shane
Clancy's Gunsmithing
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Thats great news shane. Glad you joined up mate cause I could use as much advice as I can get on this project. Just roughly, what would a lilja target barel sell for??

I recon in a few weeks time I might be giving you a call.......
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Excellent Shane :)
Would you happen to have a 25 Souper Imp (40 deg) reamer? My last was cut by Alan Swann using a 243AI reamer and a 25 cal throater. Same rough price question as the camel jockey above for a SS tube. Profile undecided but it will be a light one!
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Ohh here we go.....bloody daniel's trying to hijack my thread with his 25 soup bowl crap!!!!
shane
Resident Gunsmith

Post by shane »

Lowndsie,
A ball park price on fitting up a stainless Lilja to a rem 700would be $900

This includes one blank barrel, Precision fitting of the barrel, basic action true ( square action face, sqaure bolt face, machine bolt nose (on rem), lap locking lugs), and bed into stock.
Barrel can be finished in a matte or polish finish or in Duracoat eg matte black.

For a more extensive action true i can also recut the action thread square to the bore line, bush the firing pin hole, sleeve the bolt to reduce excessive clearance between it and the reciever and time the action.
Some of these extras are far more important than others.

Also as for bedding i will bed almost any stock, especially the HS Precision.
Many people feel they dont need bedding due to the aluminium bedding block within the stock. This is very incorrect due to the fact that these stocks are mass prduced as are the actions that go into them therefore there is always a certain amount of missalignment and when the action screws are tightened they impart stress to the action and cause inaccuracy.

Depending on how much missalignment there is accuracy may be hindered a lot or a little. For this reason i always bed these stocks and ones like them.

Hope this gives you some idea of what i do when fitting a barrel.
cheers,
Shane
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Yeah thats great info shane....

That sounds very resonable to me and to be honest I was expecting the price to be alot more even in ballpark figures...

Will be ordering the rifle next week if not this week, so once I get it all together i'll be giving you call.....

:D :D :D
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Lowndsie..
Thats a bloody good price given that the basic Remington action is also copping a work over at the same time.

Mmmmmm Remmy actioned Lilja barreled lightweight 25 souper... You should be so lucky as to get so much class :P
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Well after seeing the new stainless sps today, I've decided to pay the extra and get a stainy one for this project. Will only set the project back by a week or two so I figured it'd be worth having a stainless action to match the barrel. Will be sending off my pta this week so the projects moving ahead!!! :D
shane
Resident Gunsmith

Post by shane »

Sorry Wiz i missed your question about the .25 souper.

Yes i can cut that chamber and most other ackley's as well.
cheers,
Shane