Remmy SPS

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Remmy SPS

Post by lowndsie »

My almost latest purchase was a remmy SPS in 30/06. I saw them in the gunshop for $800 and couldn’t help myself. I picked the cal because I was looking for a bit more whack in a pig and goat rifle. I’ve always liked using the largest cal I’m comfortable with and wanted something for big NT pigs for a trip later in the year. Anyway, I mounted it with a 3-9 leupold VX1 and sighted it in at the range using 180gr Winchester factory ammo. I wont go into all the details of the SPS as it’s all on their site.
Before I even had a chance to work up some handloads, I went away on a last minute trip to queensland. Once up there it didn’t take long to try it out. It shot and balanced great and shooting it offhand was a real dream…. The R3 recoil pad did an excellent job absorbing the kick and It booted no more than my old 303!!! It bowled a few small pigs over but it really shined when it hit a big one horned billy at about 250 meters. At first I thought I missed because he dissapeard, but when we got over there he had just fallen into a ditch and was stone dead. The rifle is a dream to carry around because of it’s light weight, and being a synthetic stock you don’t have to worry about denting or scratching it. Only one complaint I could think of and that’s the stock is slightly closer to the barrel on one side. No big deal as it’s free floated anyway. On the inside of the forend of the stock, there is four little raised bumps that are bedding the barrel. Once you remove them with a bit of sandpaper, the rest of the barrel is completely free floating. I had the trigger lightend to a very crisp 1.2kg, which I find is ideal for a hunting rifle. To be honest the factory adjustment of the trigger wasn’t all that bad with no detectable creep. I’ll be trying some handloads soon to see how it shoots so I’ll post how they go.