218Bee Martini Cadet

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

218Bee Martini Cadet

Post by lowndsie »

The 218Bee was given to me as a xmas present from my father inlaw. It’s based on the Martini single shot action. There’s a bit of history on it that makes you appreciate it a little bit more. The father in law sold it to a farmer when he was much younger. Apparently he needed the money and regretted selling it. Then one day he was at a customer’s house selling insurance and he noticed a rifle hanging on the wall. When he looked closer he realized it was the same rifle with same serial numbers!!! So he made the guy an offer that he couldn’t refuse and then he owned his 218Bee for a second time. He later found out that the farmer he sold it too, kept it for a while then sold it to a mate who sold it to the Johns customer!!! Tall story hey… but true never the less.
Anyway, I used it a bit when I first got my shooters permit and I guess John decided to pass it down to me. When I first got it, the bluing was worn off, the stock was badly scratched and dented, and it had a scope on it with a broken crosshair. So I reblued the barrel, re-finished the woodwork and brought a Gold Crown scope (all I could afford at that time) for it. When it was all finished, it was time to work out some handloads for it. It didn’t take long to work out that it liked 40gr Vmax’s and would consistently put them into less than an inch. That’s the only load that I use in it and its bagged more crows than I could count. Its doesn’t get used much these days but once in awhile I take it out spotlighting for bunnies. When the barrel eventually wears out, I might just get it re-barreled in 17 Bee! But time will tell. I’ll also get a Leupy 3-9 on it soon because I’ll want my daughter to learn how to shoot with it as I did. Being a 218Bee Improved (but not Mashburn), I get 2900fps out of the 40grainers. But anyway, here’s some pix. The one with the goat was the only one I could find from before I restored the rifle. With that rifle, I’ve taken my first several game species, including fox, rabbit, crow, cat and goat…