Stevens or a Mossberg???

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Stevens or a Mossberg???

Post by dave »

Anyone had any experience with either of them? Thinking of one as a cheap knock about in .308 or something similair. Was thinking or doing up an existing omark but need it sooner rather than later.

Cheers
Dave
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Stevens or a Mossberg???

Post by MISSED »

Dve check bages post in the for sale seem could be a cheap knockabout
Bages

Post by Bages »

Hi Dave

I have a Stevens 308, to be honest I havent really used it, so cant really comment on it compared to anything else, but before buying I did read lots of good reviews on the internet about them. Due to lack of use I currently have it for sale - check it out in the for sale section 8)
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

I owna stevens 200 in 223 rem and for the money it was pretty darn good value. The only let down is the trigger but it can be lightend by a gunsmith or I am ordering a replacement trigger from the US (sharp shooter supplies) for around $100au.

It is more than capable putting 5 shots into under an inch. I have shot a few groups where 4 shots will go into about .5 - i'm a fairly inexperienced shooter as well.

When i got it the first thing i dit was pull it all apart and sand down the seams on the stock because they where so sharp they could easily cut you, also made sure that the barrel was fully free floating (still need a little bit more taken out.

Other than that is feed well, bolt is pretty smooth as well.

I didn't look at the mossbergs when i bought mine but for a few hundred dollars more i was comparing it to howas etc and IMO the action felt better, smoother and not as much slop when cycling the bolt.

In one of the latest australian shooters i think it was QLD gun exchange that was offering the stevens for about $500
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Yeah seen them advertised for $455 and $480 so there pretty good value in my opinion. Have to work out what cal but im pretty sure it will be a .308
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

Dave i have a stevens 200 in .308 win and i love it. It shoots well, under an inch at 100m. Very smooth action for the price, feeds very well. the trigger is a bit heavy from the factory but shane could fix that pretty easily for a fair price im sure.

There is one downfall--------- it is farkin LIGHT which inturn makes it kick HARD but in saying that it is very comfortable to carry around the bush on your shoulder...

Im getting a wooden stock off a savage 110 for $100au from the states. And i may get a muzzle break from shane to lighten the boot.

Hope this helps

Cheers BB :hunting:

P.S dont get one in 300winmag or 338winmag cause your shoulder would divorce you...lol