A couple of unique Brnos - .250 Myra and .20 Extruder

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

A couple of unique Brnos - .250 Myra and .20 Extruder

Post by Branxhunter »

Over the last few months of his life Camel gave away some of his favourite rifles. He messaged me in February to say he wanted me to have his Brno 601 .250 Myra.

I was flabbergasted and honoured, and ring him to tell him so. I said I was happy to pay for it.

“NO!” (Many of us would know exactly his tone of voice). “it’s a gift”

I asked him why he chose to give me the Myra. “Well remember when I was asking you a few weeks ago about whether you kids were into shooting? I was planning to give them a couple of .22s. But you said that they hadn’t really shown any interest, so I have decided to give you the Myra, because I know you like weird shit”.

Cue my response “That’s why I like hanging around with you!”

He went on to explain where his other rifles were going. It was obvious that he had put some careful thought into it.

Mark wanted to hang onto the Myra for a few months to take it for a walk after some goats. Unfortunately I don’t think he ever hit the chance.

A couple of months later he blind-sided me again be telling me to also organise a PTA for his new toy - the Brno Model 2 in .20 Extruder.

PTAs were organised and after a convoluted process (the wrong Brno M2 was sent down initially, then like Trevort the messages from the NSW LGS didn’t seem to tally with what was happening) I was able to pick them up, albeit a few weeks apart.

The Myra turned up first. The barrel stamping:

Still has the peep sight:

Previous photos Camel had posted to Ausvarmint showed a different stock (I think this one was in his Brno 601 in 7-08) and a set trigger. I prefer the standard trigger so happy with the change:

The Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 was mounted in a Hillver bridge mount with stud style rings:

Some subtle grain in the butt. Humpy had done a nice job on the stock finish which feels buttery smooth in the hand:

The butt has a fair drop in it, and so I found some Hillver medium rings that sat the scope a bit lower over the action:

The Brno Mod 2 in .20 Extruder turned up with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 mounted in Hillver medium rings. I know Camel never got the opportunity to shoot it, I’m not sure he even got to play around with it as with the height of the rings the bolt couldn’t be fully retracted. I had an old steel tube Weaver K6 with a nice small ocular that fitted nicely and cleared the root of the bolt handle:

Barrel stamping:

The stock hasn’t been refinished and has bumps, bruises and stains, but might come up nicely with a bit of love:

Shooting report next.

Marcus
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Re: A couple of unique Brnos - .250 Myra and .20 Extruder

Post by Tackleberry »

Very 😎
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

Very nice. Old school cool!!!
Can't wait for the shooting report.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

I reckon that Camel couldn't have chosen a better new custodian.

We all know that they will receive the care they deserve.

Although if it we me the bumps and bruises would probably stay - they were well earned and show the life story.

Rabz
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Rabbitz wrote:I reckon that Camel couldn't have chosen a better new custodian.

We all know that they will receive the care they deserve.

Although if it we me the bumps and bruises would probably stay - they were well earned and show the life story.

Rabz
He put a bit of thought into where his favourite rifles went. He knew how much I hate Zastavas for instance…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

So in a box of goodies that came with the rifles there was mix of stuff Mark gifted with the Myra - loaded rounds, primed cases, projectiles, dies.

Myra head-stamped cases:

Some terrific looking dies:

Some interesting looking casties.

60gn:

80gn:

There is also some small ziplock bags with powder coated and gas checked projectiles, and Mark had also loaded some up for testing.

I was keen to see how Marks 70gn Sierra Blitzking load shot, and also how the 60gn casties would go, so in the name of science and discovery set up at my bench and shot between the drifting showers.

The 60gn casties were loaded with 3x rounds at 22.0, 22.5, 23.0 and 23.5gns AR2207. The 23.0gn load shot very well:

His casting gear, ingots, the moulds, powder coating stuff, gas checks, sizing die etc all came as part of the stash so I expect I might be reaching out to a few people to learn how to cast my own.

Mark’s 70gn Blitzking load also shot well, and a bit higher than the 21.0gn load:

I tried a few different loads through the Myra extruder - the Aguila and black box Winnie PowerPoints were the standouts:

Marcus
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

A couple of recent 70gn Blitzking test subjects:

Marcus
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Gatekeeper25 »