20/222

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

20/222

Post by MISSED »

I was able to do a deal with a chap for a Sako L461/A1 Bolt.

This is to replace the Butchered bolt that I have been running on my old 20 PPC all these years.

The Barrel on the Old Girl is Toast so with Cheetah barrels getting set up to do 20 cal barrels I think I will do a 20/222 this time around.

What I do need is a Seater die and of course sell the 20 Vartarg dies I have here
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Re: 20/222

Post by Tackleberry »

Calling camel
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Tackleberry wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:10 pm Calling camel
Nah, stuff him, the big lunatic is doing it on a Sarko :roll: Now if it was one of those classy Zastava actions. :wink: :lol:
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

But it is a rusty old Sako

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

So what are you trying to say, That Sakos really are worth pissing on ? :lol:
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

About on par with a Toyota :stir:
pepperC
Favourite Cartridge: 17 AH

Post by pepperC »

I am watching this post with interest (not because i am sako or zastava bias or because i enjoy your witty reparte) but because i am genuinly interested.
Does a ppc work on a 461 bolt or has it been opened up (hence butchered) so i assume its too much effort to build it bac up to 222 head size?
Im guessing you will use a 222 bushing die with a 20 cal bushing for resizing? Really where my interest kicks up as id like to do a 6mm on the 222
Anyway, have enjoyed your step by step builds and wood work and load development in the past. Will be watching keenly here
Go well
Charlie
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Hey Charlie the butchered bolt is a story within itself. :roll:

The bolt ended up convex thus my cases went concave after the second firing. :evil:

Bloody annoying especially considering the cost of Lapua cases. :twisted: :twisted:

So off to an excellent Gun Whisperer he fixed the face of the bolt and set the barrel back a couple of thou which fixed that problem.

This exposed another issue ,At sometime in that actions life, the Primary extraction cam had been filed down :shock:

This is the part that truely pissed me !.I had a welder build the cam back up and full length sizing everytime ,running a mildish load helped but still distracted from the joy of shooting that rifle.

The 20 PPC is so accurate and mild to shoot I built another on a S491 which with very little work feeds from the mag and while the trigger is not up to The Madco is not bad.

This left me with a rifle with a Madco Trigger,a Sako A1 Hunter Varmint stock, a worn barrel as well as a boogered bolt. Really worth Jack to sell :?

Now after picking up the Bolt and not needing another 20 PPC this was going to be built a 20 Vartarg

But after the years of Camels nagging as well as the Pics I keep receiving from a Bloke in Victoria`s South West :D (also I have 8 Bottles of 2219)

I have a 222 Redding "S" type die a change of Bush a 20 Cal seater stem and we are good to go.(also I have 8 Bottles of 2219).
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Old Norma 222 cased I had

MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

pepperC wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 pm I am watching this post with interest (not because i am sako or zastava bias or because i enjoy your witty reparte) but because i am genuinly interested.
Does a ppc work on a 461 bolt or has it been opened up (hence butchered) so i assume its too much effort to build it bac up to 222 head size?
Im guessing you will use a 222 bushing die with a 20 cal bushing for resizing? Really where my interest kicks up as id like to do a 6mm on the 222
Anyway, have enjoyed your step by step builds and wood work and load development in the past. Will be watching keenly here
Go well
Charlie
Hey Charlie, glad someone appreciates the not so subtle attempts at humor. :wink:

Your 6/222, or 243 Myra should be a good bit of gear, you could also do a 6/222 1/2 by running a 6/223 reamer in to 222 lengths, give you a bit more case capacity, but would defeat the advantage of the 222 case, i.e. the long neck. I reckon the original 222 just necked up is the go, dies, well I am sure that Simplex have them listed.

I have a heap of light 6mm projectiles available if you want to try them. Drop me a pm and I will dig them out and knock up a list of whats available. :D

Ooopsies, that was off topic, but hey, shit happens. :D
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Love the .20-222. Yours should be a cracker Andrew.

I also use a Redding bushing die for resizing, but don't use the button or decapping pin.

For depriming I use a Super Simplex press and a .17Rem sizing die with the decapping rod wound way down. The same press is used for priming, and for seating .20 cal projectiles using the .22 cal (or is it a .17 cal :? ) seating die.

Marcus
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

thumbs-up_1f44d.png
thumbs-up_1f44d.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 25132 times
Thanks Marcus but you know the old saying pics or it didn`t happen :roll:

Now I am getting excited just need Conrad (Cheetah Barrels) to get to and make the barrel for me.

Charlie I reckon the 6mm Myra would be an interesting choice I have no experience with it but have on occasion shot with a bloke who was using the 6mm/223.From what I have read the 6/223 origins are in short range benchrest where it was used to compete againist the 6mm PPC

Like THOD I have a range of 6mm pills if you would like a care package.
pepperC
Favourite Cartridge: 17 AH

Post by pepperC »

Thanks Camel and missed for the offer to try bullets but im not really good enough a shot to try too many components. Thought i might use a 55gn nosler. Just after a spotlighting gun for farm use and like something a little different
Camel your dead right on basing it off the 222, im not after a 6x45. 243 myra for me. Yep your correct simplex make dies, thanks
Sorry to hijack your thread missed!
Good to hear of the clever ways to form brass, branxhunter that is aussie genius at its best, those dies would never have crossed my mind
New bolt looks the goods. Hope the stock needs work i love seeing you guys bring them back to life. Yeah Branxshunter gun pics are particulary distressing for me too, not just cause they are nicer than mine but they are always out in knee high green grass!
My vartarg is best with 32gn pills and 35 gn really pulls it up. I would think one on the 222 would be able to use heavier pills and really have some serious smack.
Will you get a no neck turn chamber?
C