Sako 222mag

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Sako 222mag

Post by B4408 »

Its taken me over 40 years but I finally bought my first Sako. A Sako Vixen in 222mag. I was supposed to be making a few $ cleaning up the stock but after some purchase mentoring from Barry I ended up paying him.ImageImageImage.
Have fitted a Zeiss 4-14 Conquest.
It works.

BruceImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Sako 222mag

Post by Tony Z »

My first Sako was a Vixen 222 RM back in the early 80s. Even though i was a novice reloader back then, by some sheer luck it shot everything i loaded through it extremely well. Foolishly i sold it for some reason that i can't recall. Mine was the micro groove version where in later years they went to conventional rifling. Years later you still hear or read stories about the good and bad about those micro groove barrels, but my experience was nothing but positive.
The 222 Rem Mag is greatly underated and over looked in favor of the 2mm shorter cased 223. I laugh when i hear conversations about how it is an inferior cartridge to the 223 where if they stop and think for a moment, the 223 was derived from the 222 RM. Pressure for pressure, the two are virtually identical in performance, but my experince has been the 222 RMs are just a bit more accurate with the 40 to 55 grain range of pills primarily because of the 14 twist barrels the 222 RMs came with as standard from either Sako, Krico or Remington.
One day i will have another 222 RM. Still have the dies, cases and bullets. My favorite bullet in my Vixen was the Nosler 52 solid base match. In their day these bullets were as good as any custom match bullet.
Good to see that the 222 Rem Mag still has a few followers.
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Caption should read :
BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY. :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

barryb wrote:Caption should read :
BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY. :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:
Biased much?ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Welcome to the club Bruce!

Nice pick-up, and doing what it's made to do. Glad to see you found a small window of sunny weather for the photo :lol: :lol:

Marcus
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Tony thanks for some background info. This has the micro groove barrel, unfortunately there is a lot of pitting in a barrel that has not done much work. Shot ok for hunting with ammo it came with. Tried some 53gn vmax I loaded and they went through target sideways, 1:14 not fast enough twist. Loaded some 40gn vmax today and will see how they go. Mag length suits the lighter projectiles.
Using some 8208 but have 2207 any suggestions on powder for lighter projectiles?
Another member is sending some fire lapping projectiles which may smooth out the rough spots and reduce copper fouling.

Barry , glad you passed your bargain on. :D just think how I enabled you to get that 20prac. :lol:

Trev, bankers don't like to see a bargain get away.

Marcus, have I started down a slippery slope :lol: :lol:

Bruce
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

For the 4og and lighter pills in 222 mag 07 works but 2219 metres a hell of a lot better in a powder thrower both got very fast results .

Cheers TAC