One for Sedo and others!!

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

One for Sedo and others!!

Post by Gnome »

https://www.rbth.com/science-and-tech/3 ... -rifle/amp

It is set to be the longest-range special forces weapon in the world firing hypersonic bullets, and will serve all branches of the military.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: One for Sedo and others!!

Post by The Raven »

Will it still be Cat B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Single shot bolt action!
Yes cat B!

7km lonrange gun with a Harris bipod????

"A new type of powder-charge ammunition is being developed for the DXL-5, which will enable the bullet to fly at five or more times the speed of sound (greater than 1,500 m/s). ?????

What dose that mean??

Glenn
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

It's all well and good to fling lead five or six kilometres.

Having it impact where you intend is a whole different matter.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Glenn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:50 pm Single shot bolt action!
Yes cat B!

7km lonrange gun with a Harris bipod????

"A new type of powder-charge ammunition is being developed for the DXL-5, which will enable the bullet to fly at five or more times the speed of sound (greater than 1,500 m/s). ?????

What dose that mean??

Glenn
Yeah, I wondered that to.

Mach 5 = 1715m/s = 5626.64fps

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... t=9752cfae

According to the above link for 'standard' .408 Cheytac (which I assume is realistic) it's leaving the barrel at 3000fps and dropping to 1310fps at 2000yards. I'm no ballistics expert but I suspect the Russians will need some magic powder etc. to get it to 5000+fps and do anything meaningful at 6561yards (6Km).
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

I think they already have the magic powder!

That case size is the restriction.
We made it bigger for the powder we have access to, 2218 and run 172.0 grains for 3500fps with a 350SMK.

A case with 135 to 140 grain compacity is going to need to be a extremely special blend for 5000fps!

The powder is only one of issue the issues, what they are going to use for a case interests me.

Glenn
Gnome
.308 Winchester

Post by Gnome »

Glenn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 pm I think they already have the magic powder!

We made it bigger for the powder we have access to, 2218 and run 172.0 grains for 3500fps with a 350SMK.

A case with 135 to 140 grain compacity is going to need to be a extremely special blend for 5000fps!

The powder is only one of issue the issues, what they are going to use for a case interests me.

Glenn
1st... is this from your latest big rifle?

2nd... Magic powder asside, what case would you think they would use?

3rd... How far would it lift and drive a big ole samba sized beast at a given distance....say 3.5k away?
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Gnome wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 am
Glenn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 pm I think they already have the magic powder!

Glenn
1st... is this from your latest big rifle?

2nd... Magic powder asside, what case would you think they would use?

3rd... How far would it lift and drive a big ole samba sized beast at a given distance....say 3.5k away?
4th... How far would it lift and drive the operator attached to the buttplate?
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

Yeah the 375 Hellfire Gnome.

The case size is not the issue, it's how strong the case is!
The Hellfire case is made stronger for us!

Don't get me wrong if they can do it I will be the first to line up and buy one and their powder!

3500m is a long, long way, even at the speeds they are talking!
At a sambar, who knows what it would do!

Automated anti sniper guns have been doing this for years but with MUCH bigger rounds!

A well designed muzzle break tames the recoil down!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... oser=false

Glenn
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Do the "fair chase" rules apply at 7000m ? :wink:
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

That's funny. The bullets ability to hit a target at that distance has bugger all to do with velocity.

I also don't see how you can shoot anything out of a chaytac sized case at that velocity unless its a very light pill and that means low BC so it doesn't make sence.
Gnome
.308 Winchester

Post by Gnome »

Yeah I've seen that Helfire vid on FB Glenn and figured you would have an insight to this new beast.

Seddo, how light a pill and what sort of BC would you be talking?
Gnome
.308 Winchester

Post by Gnome »

frakka wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:54 pm Do the "fair chase" rules apply at 7000m ? :wink:
In war or conflict times one would assume so!
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Gnome wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:39 pm Yeah I've seen that Helfire vid on FB Glenn and figured you would have an insight to this new beast.

Seddo, how light a pill and what sort of BC would you be talking?
I’ve got 5000fps out of a 17ppc with a 20gr. If you scale up the ppc case to a cheytac sized case with a similar sized projie I’m sure something would be possible.

I did know a guy who’s mate was playing with a Flechette projectile out of a 308 sized case that claimed velocities close to the Russians but I didn’t see it in person.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

A stock issue 50 BMG round does around 5 miles at maximum flight distance which would be at 34 degrees launch angle on level ground. There are far better pills available than the standard issue 750 grainer and many of the CNC solids are achieving BCs well over 1.0 G1, so with them i would assume 7 to 8 miles maximum flight distance would be easily achievable.

On one of the many ranges in Hawaii in the 80s i engaged vehicle targets at 4 k plus with repeatable accuracy off a tripod mounted 50 BMG timed slow so it could be single shotted, so i see no reason that with a full long barreled bolt gun and a sleek mono it couldn't be repeated at extended ranges. If the 50 couldn't do it, the 20mm Vulcan, of which rifles have been around for a long while, (Anzio) certainly could and probably already does.
The limit on a 50 BMG is not the cartridge itself, it is the sighting system. Conventional scopes are very limited in elevation but adjustable inclined ramp rails would solve that to achieve shots beyond 2k.
Personally i think the 6 or 7 k hit is already achievable and has been for a long while. The only thing missing is whether there is enough justification to pursue a high value target with a 1% shot that really should be handed over to a higher percentage artillery or air strike. My way of thinking if i was still active is that your radio and codebook is your best weapon at that sort of range.