Cleavers - Ruger American 350 Legend

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Cleavers - Ruger American 350 Legend

Post by The Raven »

I received the latest specials email from Cleavers and noted the Ruger chambered for 350 Legend.

The 350 Legend seems to be rather new but does it really offer anything new or is it likely to be the next fad/orphan.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Cleavers - Ruger American 350 Legend

Post by kjd »

Good question. I’m not sure but it seems to be 5x the amount of new cartridges every year nowadays compared to even 10 years ago.

You hear none of them taking off vs the tried and true ones.

The only one that has really gained steam is the 6.5 Creedmore but it has been around for yonks and saw a recent surge in popularity in the past 5 or so years.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Its another cartridge developed for the AR15 platform that wont take off on a bolt gun. The 300 Blackout is the only AR15 platform new calibre that has taken off in a bolt gun that I can think of. The others will die a slow death. I did find the 22 Nosler interesting enough to get a barrel chambered in it but I don't see there being any support for that calibre in this country as its in between a 223 and 22-250 so you might as well use one of those calibres...… Said almost everyone except me.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I'm not an expert on calibers etc. but the little research I didn't lead me to any real reason for 350 Legend. Sure all the reviewers love it, as they tend to with any new product.

On a slightly different topic, I noted the price of OEM ammunition the other day. How does anyone afford to shoot OEM ammo now?

Yikes, some of the more common pistol and rifle calibers are almost $70 per 20 rounds? They may as well throw in a new rifle if you buy 20 boxes.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:03 pm They may as well throw in a new rifle if you buy 20 boxes.
I remember when Myra Gunshop in Broken Hill would give you a brand new Rem 788 in 222 if you purchased 50 (might have been 100, not sure now) boxes of their branded 222 ammo. their ammo at the time was cheaper than other offerings, at around 2.50 a box of 20. I did ponder doing it at the time, but as I had a Rem 788 in 222, didn't see the need for two. :roll: Shoulda, woulda, coulda. :roll:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

2.50 for 20. ‘‘Twas the style at the time”...

Wish we had that now.

Amazing how rapidly prices have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

While no expert 350 Legend seems to be a CAE of “because we could”.

Happy to convinced otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk