New stocks

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

New stocks

Post by Seddo »

Hi guys,

its been a while since I have posted. Given the love of chassis style stocks on the forum I thought I would let you know that I replaced 2 chassis style stocks with some mcmillans a5. I have done the same with my stiller 22's but one is gettign bedded and the other stock is in customs.

They are a Stiller Spectre in 223 and Wraith in 6mm Creedmoor. Image

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Re: New stocks

Post by Glenn »

I do like McMillan A5's!

I like the colours Scott!

Glenn
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Very nice choice Seddo.
My dislike of chassis style stocks is not that they don't work, it's that they're heavy and cumbersome for general field work. For me anyway.
A5, A3, it don't get much better than that. Again, very nice rifles there.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

Tony, I agree they can be heavier but they do have positives. This is the Elisio chassis in have, with short barrels (15" one pictured) it's not heavy.

The positive to this rifle is I have a buttom units with SA, LA & 338CIP magazine assemblies. You cant do that with a regular stock.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Seddo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am Wraith in 6mm Creedmoor
That rifle just got a whole lot better.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Seddo you could have a gallery section all for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

trevort wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 pm Seddo you could have a gallery section all for yourself

I sold 5 rifles last year, its got to be the worst year I have had in a while, finished lower than I started. Not as many now, but I do have pic of past builds.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:40 pm
Seddo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am Wraith in 6mm Creedmoor
That rifle just got a whole lot better.
Tony,
I have been playing with a 6XC as well, with a smaller charge its getting more velocity than the 6mm Creedmoor with 108gr ELD's. Both shoot well under MOA at 700y in my limited testing but I hope to run them side by side this year and see how they compare.
trevort
Spud Gun

New stocks

Post by trevort »

Seddo I have no doubt that you tried the 6x47lap. What are your thoughts on it v the current 6mms you are trying.

Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

trevort wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:06 pm Seddo I have no doubt that you tried the 6x47lap. What are your thoughts on it v the current 6mms you are trying.
Trev,

No I haven't, after paying extortion money for 6.5x47 cases when I built the 20x47 I vowed never to buy them again.

Water Capacity:
6x47 - 47gr
6XC - 49.7gr
6mm Creedmoor - 51gr

They are so close on case capacity its not funny. The 6x47 is the only one of the 3 that uses small primes as standard but you can get them for the other 2 cases now.

My 6mm Creedmoor load is 41.4gr 2209 with a 108gr ELD doing 2955fps. I still need to fine tune it but that's where I am now. The 6XC used slightly less powder and had more velocity and again, it still needs fine tuning but it was over 3000fps.I cant find where I put that data.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Seddo i tried the 6x47 a few times with the 103 -107 range of pills. Contrary to a lot of hype in the early days, getting to the 3000 to 3050 fps range is a real stretch in a 30 inch barrel. Beyond that and case life is short. As a varmint cartridge, it is very good as a few have commented on here before.
Having said that, i have over the last 12 months used Re16 in a few 6mms. I would recommend it for anyone who has one of the three 6mms being discussed here and include the 6SLR as a possible contender as well. There is a considerable velocity gain, but if it's the 3000 fps range with heavier pills you're chasing, it does it easy and with much lower pressure that stresses nothing. In my experiences at longer range it closes up the vertical considerably over both Re15 and 2209. Of course this is in my barrels and cartridges, but others in the US are seeing similar results.
It is an odd powder in that it works a lot like Re23 in the 284 and 7mmSAUM cases. It is in that H4350 burn range, or just a tad faster, but delivers velocity as if it were H4831 but with a better loading density making it very suitable for the Creedmoor sized cases. There is no reason that Re23 wouldn't work in the 6mmCM either. It would surely increase speed and drop pressure as well with the heavier bullets but it might run out of volume before it reached pressure. Re23 is a fair bit bulkier but with say the 115 grain pills could be the game changer that has been seen with the two 7mms mentioned. A 6mm CM with 115s or similar is an area of little development outside of PRS which greatly puzzles me. The new Tubb 0.600 BC 115s and possibly the SMKs at 2900 to 2950 fps in an 8 twist has to be a serious 1000 yard contender in a number of disciplines.

I agree with the extortion on the 6.5x47 Lap cases. A smart man, which I'm not, would be wise to take the 6x47 reamer, sink it in the extra 2mm and run CM cases and dies. That would have to be a win win even with the very slight and really negligible other dimensional differences. In my case, i had the brass from failed BR attempts with the 6x47. So i stuck with it.

In my view only, i think the 6x47 is very highly overrated and jazzed up to be better than it really is for BR. A well prepped 6 Dasher is always going to be its nemesis.
The 6mm CM is highly underrated and for whatever reason is often bypassed in favor of the 6SLR, which is very good, but can be very hard on barrels at the top end. The 6mm CM in my view has the right balance of performance for barrel life. Again, only my opinion of a cartridge i have yet to play with but i have used a lot of cartridges either side of it to know enough to have an educated guess. With either Re16 or 23 as well as some good batches of H4350 has really got me rethinking the potential for either Fly or 600 IBS where you can test head to head the SRP LRP issue because both cases exist. A major failing of the 6x47 that i felt always suffered with the slower powders. Many may strongly disagree with that, but i ask, what records has a 6x47 set anywhere in the world? The answer is zip. The same could be said of the 6mm CM but i feel that is because neither Re16 or 23 have been considered until recently, and a full examination of the small versus large primer conspiracy theory has been properly undertaken because the original contender, the 6x47 never had the option. The 6mm Creedmoor really could be the dark horse.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

Tony Z wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:22 pm A well prepped 6 Dasher is always going to be its nemesis.
Tony, a well prepped dasher will be the nemesis of everything on the line!

Alliant powders are not that easy to get in Victoria, I have mates that have been looking for some of it with no luck. That’s the main reason I just use adi, it’s generally available at every shop. I’ve heard rumours of Nioa reps delivering powder to Victoria because they can’t get a carrier to deliver it. That’s not something I want to rely on just to get some extra velocity.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Tony I have a 6 slr, recent acquisition. I read the posts about using win brass to avoid the donut. My dies ar still on the way but don’t include a fl die. Options look like whidden a around $200.

I had a 6x47lap benchrest rifle for kerriet which was sold due to lack of use. I kept the dies and brass and have a 22x47lap.

I’ve always wanted a varmint rifle in 6x47lap. I’m seriously thinking of having the 6 slr rechambered to 6x47lap as I already have dies.

I’ve got some re16 and 500 87 gn Bergers.........

I should probably keep the 6 slr but wonder if that tougher lapua brass could see those 87 gn Berger’s fly out a bit quicker. And I have dies

Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

trevort wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm Tony I have a 6 slr, recent acquisition. I read the posts about using win brass to avoid the donut. My dies ar still on the way but don’t include a fl die. Options look like whidden a around $200.

I had a 6x47lap benchrest rifle for kerriet which was sold due to lack of use. I kept the dies and brass and have a 22x47lap.

I’ve always wanted a varmint rifle in 6x47lap. I’m seriously thinking of having the 6 slr rechambered to 6x47lap as I already have dies.

I’ve got some re16 and 500 87 gn Berger's.........

I should probably keep the 6 slr but wonder if that tougher Lapua brass could see those 87 gn Berger’s fly out a bit quicker. And I have dies

I would be very interested to see how they 87gr Berger's go Trevor!

Glenn
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

Glenn wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:12 pm
trevort wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm Tony I have a 6 slr, recent acquisition. I read the posts about using win brass to avoid the donut. My dies ar still on the way but don’t include a fl die. Options look like whidden a around $200.

I’ve got some re16 and 500 87 gn Berger's.........

I should probably keep the 6 slr but wonder if that tougher Lapua brass could see those 87 gn Berger’s fly out a bit quicker. And I have dies

I would be very interested to see how they 87gr Berger's go Trevor!

Glenn
I have been told by a fly shooter that 87gr VMax in a 243AI is an absolute hammer, i cant imagine the SLR would be any different. He did quote some silly velocity figure but he moly coats them so it might have been true.