Tikka T1x

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Re: Tikka T1x

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Hi Tony,
Looks good. I presume the index marks are one revolution. What is the pitch?
Hope you are still clear of the flood, and how is the work shop? Hope all goes well as things still look far from good.
Cheers,
Trevor.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Trev the pitch is 1mm. The index grooves on the adapter are at 2mm, so two revolutions. I will index the weight in 20 increments, so each will be 0.05mm, or roughly 2 thou for the dinosauruses :mrgreen:

Still raining hard Trev but the creeks are flushed clean now so it drains off quickly.
The highway is cut north and south and west. The airport is shut. So if you wanted to, you aint going nowhere. The dam is at 219% and rising faster than the two garden hoses can drain it. If it breaches the banks it will wash away the whole lot and we all drown. If the army blows a hole in the rear bank to allow drainage through the Bohle Plains (seriously that is part of the emergency stratergy), only half the town drowns.
They should have started draining the dam days ago. The met boys said this was going to be a Cat 3 cyclone in the gulf turning into a rain depression moving through the center. Of course i believe them, they told me how much the average temperature will rise by in 2100. By then they should have it right after the fuckup of 2019.
So if you don't hear from me for a while, it's because I'll be on a houseboat cruise to the Philippines :mrgreen:
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Trev, the council facebook page has just posted up that the dam flood gates will be fully opened at 1 am to coincide with low tide. The army has placed the explosives in the dam wall at the rear and will blow it if continues to rise. Not looking good now.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm Trev, the council facebook page has just posted up that the dam flood gates will be fully opened at 1 am to coincide with low tide. The army has placed the explosives in the dam wall at the rear and will blow it if continues to rise. Not looking good now.
Hope you are going to be OK!
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm Trev, the council facebook page has just posted up that the dam flood gates will be fully opened at 1 am to coincide with low tide. The army has placed the explosives in the dam wall at the rear and will blow it if continues to rise. Not looking good now.
Jeez. Good luck mate. Fingers crossed for you and Townsville in general.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

The rain has headed south it seems. Looking to cause havoc there no doubt.

Anyway i went i to the workshop and indexed the tuner. No numbers stamped yet but will get to it.
Attachments
20190203_152139.jpg
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

That looks really good. Keen to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Considering all the water, the range was in really good nick yesterday.
I tried the Calfee tuned 22 Mag barrel set at the 9th harmonic. POI impact shift from bare barrel then with tuner at the previous 100 yard zero was negligible.
The two initial groups i shot on that setting were well under the inch. Moving out 20 thou opened to 1.5". In 20 thou was still OK at just over MOA. Another 20 was same but at 60 thou it went vertical.
At 30 thou in it shot a ten (8) shot group under the inch, barring two outliers, one was me with some really poor gun handling, the other was me also reacting (flinching) to a CF blast from the bench beside me. The 8 good shots were inside an inch.
Actually at the 9th harmonic, or at 30 thou in, showed some very good consistency.
My conclusions are, with some tinkering or a very good batch of 30 grain Vmax, this 22 Magnum barrel in the T1x action could be a very good vermin controller out to about 130 yards. Any lost shots are clearly from velocity jump or drop. The mean shoots tight clusters. No matter how good the tuner, if the ammo fluctuates that much, it cannot be controlled. So i have to accept it with this batch lot.
The pics show two groups at the 9th harmonic with the second one clearly showing what happens when a bullet just has a 100 fps or more velocity. Nothing one can do. The first pic is ten shots, the wild left shot was me, the higher 12 o'clock shot was the flinch, the rest are good shots with random spread. The third pic shows how 20 thou out turns it to shit. The worst group of the day. Disregard the numbers, they are vernier measurement from tuner end to barrel end. 2.260" is the 9th harmonic.

I will set the 22LR barrel back in and try to get some tiny groups going with its tuner.
Attachments
20190210_202208.jpg
20190210_200307.jpg
20190210_200400.jpg
20190210_200317.jpg
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Was a very nice day for testing today. Overcast, mid 30s, 70% + humidity and a slight head wind to deal with.

The magnum barrel had four groups at a 100 yards, three under the inch and of course the last had to be just over. Anyway that was done, mag barrel out and factory rimfire barrel plus tuner fitted.

I decided to run the test at 75 yards because 50 can show too little deflection on tuner changes, but a 100 was a bit too far for the Zeiss 3x9 to get enough resolution to do justice. Ammo was CCI Standard because i had it and it is cheap and it better represents what the average punter might use.

Now there is a little vertical POI shift that i am not sure if it is fouling then settling, a bit of head wind, barrel warming up or just the tropical heat affecting sighting.
The orange dot in the middle is the first shots from a clean barrel. The scope was not altered and the barrel was not cleaned at any time between start to end.

The numbers beside the groups are reference in millimetres from 0.00mm, or the most inward setting.

The very last group at 6.10mm is 10 shots. You can clearly see two halves to the group. The top half is the first 5 shots that went into a hole. A little while later i shot another five with four in a slot and a wider one on just a tickle of left to right breeze. At this point i gave it away as the conditions went for the worse.
It is very clear that the T1x can shoot and that the tuner can produce some very good results from pretty average grade ammo. The setting is going to be somewhere just over or around the 6.0mm to 6.10mm mark.
Attachments
20190217_102319.jpg
20190217_131231.jpg
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Tony, what model is this? The short or long barrel?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Long (20") barrel Brad.
I take it out periodically to test its reliability in changing weather. Nothing changes. The same ammo at the same range just piles them into the same POI. As you know I'm no fan of tuners on a centerfire, but on rimfires it's a different story. I can give you some dimensions if you wish.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

All good I have a tuner with a bloop tube on it here, was more so wondering more about the rifle. I’ve borescoped my little marlin and sad to say that after all the years dragging it around farms in the rains and dust, the cancer has got in pretty bad and the barrel looks like the moon surface mixed with the Grand Canyon under borescope. Having a think about a new 22