Found a Tikka M55 - now 6BR

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Re: Found a Tikka M55.

Post by Branxhunter »

B4408 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm Marcus, they look good. Better send them up and I'll send some $ your way.

Bruce
Mailed off today.

Marcus
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Good on ya.
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Nice little package in the mail today. Brand new rings still in sealed plastic. Job for the weekend :D :D
Thanks Marcus.

Bruce
HUNTERDELUX
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17rem and 204ruger

Post by HUNTERDELUX »

I use those same rings on my M55, great value for money.
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Currently refinishing the stock, will then use the new rings.
So rubbing in an oil following Missed's method. Should be finished this weekend :D

Bruce
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

Hey Bruce, have a look at this for $320:

http://www.owenguns.com/ads/tikka-model ... ot-320-00/
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Marcus
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Yeah seen that, tempted. I don't think it has a bolt but could have switch bolt rifles I suppose. Someone we know has an old bolt in their safe:D :D. Maybe he should buy it.

Bruce
B4408
.270 Winchester

Re: Found a Tikka M55 now 6BR

Post by B4408 »

So I bought a Canadian 6mm 1:8 twist barrel as the price was right, Remington varmint profile. This is now the first heavy barrelled rifle I have owned. Sent it and the barrelled action off to Group Solutions Gunsmithing with a request for a 6BR with no turn neck to make a long range plinker. Quoted max 3 weeks and it was on its way back in less than that, great service.
6BR .272 neck
6BR .272 neck
Came back from holidays in NZ and it was waiting at my local dealer, had packages of projectiles and dies waiting to be opened as well. All the bits were coming together. I was undecided whether to use the factory deluxe stock and open up the barrel channel. Wife said to do another pretty one. I really wanted something with a wider forend so decided to start from scratch as I did with the 20VT.
Went down to the other shed and had to move all the whiteboard out to get to my Rosewood stash, the remaining kitchen doors which I made in the mid 80's, from the old farm.
Rosewood cupboard doors
Rosewood cupboard doors
So pulled them apart, trimmed them up on the saw bench and ran them through the thicknesser to clean and true them up.
dressing them up
dressing them up
Picked out some suitable pieces and made a jigsaw puzzle out of them, put together once and laminated together with epoxy.
jigsaw puzzle
jigsaw puzzle
Glue it all together and use nearly every clamp in the shed. Can't use to many clamps. :lol: Good epoxy can be very forgiving with gaps in the timber.
clamp it
clamp it
See how it looks tomorrow. Now have to decide on the shape of the stock.
If I get organised I may shoot it this weekend, wont be finished but should be able to get the action fitted and bedded. Need to get some powder and I can make up some ammo.

Bruce
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Re: Found a Tikka M55 - now 6BR

Post by Branxhunter »

I’m looking forward to watching the progress on this one. You are a clever bugger Ruce.

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Looks like everything is falling into place Ruce, keep the photos and commentary coming :D
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

So today went for a trip down the road and bought some powder. No RE15, have to order it in. Bought AR2208 instead.
Back home, glue had set so unclamped the jigsaw puzzle. Trimmed it up with the electric plane and through the thicknesser to square it up. I like to get a nice flat top and use it as a reference for marking out.
stock blank
stock blank
I then mark the action bolt locations and drill these on the drill press and mark everything from these.
I then use the router with fences to carefully remove as much wood as possible to get the action and barrel fitted. Takes a bit of thinking and measuring to get it right but can be very accurate. I clamp the stock blank to the side of my bench with the top flush with the bench. This allows me use the bench as a work surface for the router. Routers can have a mind of their own so I always use a fence unless taking out some bulk material after routing the edges.
setup for routing
setup for routing
clamped to bench
clamped to bench
I used the drill press to drill out the mag well which will be trimmed up later with hand chisels. Cut off the bottom of the forend on the table saw (Triton) and there was the holes for the trigger and mag. I use the quickest and easiest method for me to remove bulk wood. Then trim with hand tools to fit the safety, bolt and other fiddly bits.
Action and barrel fitted
Action and barrel fitted
Trigger is sticking out, deepen the notch for the bolt ....... nearly ready to shoot :D :D :D. :rifle: :rifle:
Tomorrow I will probably fit some pillars and bottom metal, maybe do a bit of shaping. Then bed it and let the glue set overnight. Don't have a recoil pad so have to work around that. Also need a bit of dark wood for a forend tip similar to the factory stock.

Back at work Monday so trying to get as much done this week as possible. It will be test fired this weekend. :D

Bruce
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Getting there Bruce, well done. :D
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Very nice Bruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

You certainly have a good set of hands Bruce, is going to look bloody beautiful when your done.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Will be a great plinker. Tip my hat to you for the wood work.
Well beyond my capabilities.
I am sure it will give you a lot fun.
Cheers