Couple of Rifles

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Couple of Rifles

Post by louie the fly »

Hi All,

Just gave some of my rifles a clean and went out to the range for a re-zero session - I thought I might as well take a few photos.

First up is my Sako 85 Varmint in 204 Ruger with Swarovski Z6 3-18 x 50 scope with ballistic turret. Overall I'm really happy with the way this rifle performs with my handloads although factory ammo leaves a lot to be desired. I'm currently running 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings, Nosler Brass and 2206H. This is my go to varmint rifle and with the BT I have the 204 hitting sub MOA groups on the steel target @ 400 yards.

Second rifle is my Tikka T3 Varmint in 25-06 Rem with Swarovski Z5 5-25 x 52 scope with ballistic turret. I've added a B&C M40 style stock, Atlas Worxs bottom metal, aftermarket bolt knob, shroud and rail. I'm currently running 90gr Sierra Blitz Kings, Nosler Brass and 2209. Again this rifle performs great with my handloads but has been an average performer with the factory ammo I've tried. I'm still working up a good load with the 117gr SST - I've managed a few groups around an the inch mark but should be able to do a little better. This rifle is very authoritative on varmints and goats out to and exceeding 300 yards.

Both Groups are at 100 yards after a few shots to foul the barrel. Squares on the target are 1/2'' for reference.

Happy hunting
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Couple of Rifles

Post by MISSED »

Very nice rifles Louie as well as a great choice in optics
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Nice Louie , especially the 204. Mine loves the Sierra BK's too.
Barry
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Very nice.

As Missed said great optic choice!

Glenn
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

just put me down as copying and pasting what everyone else said :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Thanks for the pics, How do you like that B&C M40 stock? Whats it like off hand or as a hunting stock?

Ryan
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Post by louie the fly »

Hey Ryan,

I'm impressed with the stock - it is very sturdy and well made. The fit is excellent and I like the bedding block and improved recoil lug. The sturdiness is really good particularly in the for end area and has no flex with bi-pod attached. The spiderweb pattern is a nice touch and provides a good textured grip. All improvements over the factory stock imo - however as far as factory stocks go the Tikka is one of the better ones that i've seen.

I find it is a little cumbersome shooting off the shoulder due to the overall weight and it probably doesn't come up to the eye as quickly as the factory stock which has a more traditional comb. But for shooting over the bench or off a bi-pod in a rested position it is night and day compared to the factory stock.

If you could pick up one of the T3 sporter model Tikkas (not the T3X) pretty cheap and put a B&C sporter style stock on it, I think that would be ideal.

Just my two cents
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Thanks mate! I want to sort a stock out for for savage long action in 358 swede improved. Want something easy and no fuss also handles aome recool lol. B&C seems to tick the box...maybe I'll try the sporter and not the m40 then.. i know they are constructed similarly and do a sporter for a long action too.

Like the colours of your stock and like you say from the pics the fit looks excellent.

Thanks again.
Ryan

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk