A couple of thoughts on the 204 Ruger after a couple of years.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: A couple of thoughts on the 204 Ruger after a couple of years.

Post by trevort »

grmkc wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:16 pm Funny this thread should pop up.

I just picked up my new Tikka T3 Hunter an hour ago. Traded in my Weatherby S2 223 and my little Diana 21 plus minimal change over. Same rationale as most of you guys. I just wanted a rifle that I could point and shoot.

Last week I swapped my redundant Darco compound bow with all its bits & pieces and a dozen Easton arrows for a Super Simplex press, 1000 primers & a RCBS powder thrower to start my journey down the reloading track. I figured that the press would be used more than the bow. Also picked up a set of dies off Fleabay. Happy days. Will be asking for reloading advise in the coming weeks.

It's not the state of the art reloading equipment but it will give me a start.
What primers did you buy?

204 ruger is a high pressure round. I had piercing at starting loads with WSR primers. Thickest cup is rem 7 1/2br. never had a problem
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

grmkc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm Cheers Camel. Tumbler as in the green plastic screw on bit on the bottom of the dispenser?
Nah mate, its the black steel barrel in the middle of the thrower body, about 2 inches diameter, one has a small hole for smaller loads as in small capacity type cases, the other is bigger to do charges for larger capacity type cases. the handle fixes on the side of it with two screws.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

The more I use the 204 the more I'm amazed at what it can do and the size of the animals it can do it too but the best part is the being able to watch the action through the scope - I do love that part. :D
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

bigfellascott wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:49 pm The more I use the 204 the more I'm amazed at what it can do and the size of the animals it can do it too but the best part is the being able to watch the action through the scope - I do love that part. :D
You nailed it Scott.
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

trevort wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm
grmkc wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:16 pm Funny this thread should pop up.

I just picked up my new Tikka T3 Hunter an hour ago. Traded in my Weatherby S2 223 and my little Diana 21 plus minimal change over. Same rationale as most of you guys. I just wanted a rifle that I could point and shoot.

Last week I swapped my redundant Darco compound bow with all its bits & pieces and a dozen Easton arrows for a Super Simplex press, 1000 primers & a RCBS powder thrower to start my journey down the reloading track. I figured that the press would be used more than the bow. Also picked up a set of dies off Fleabay. Happy days. Will be asking for reloading advise in the coming weeks.

It's not the state of the art reloading equipment but it will give me a start.
What primers did you buy?

204 ruger is a high pressure round. I had piercing at starting loads with WSR primers. Thickest cup is rem 7 1/2br. never had a problem
Came with 500 Winchester small rifle primers. Is that going to be an issue?
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Camel wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:26 pm
grmkc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm Cheers Camel. Tumbler as in the green plastic screw on bit on the bottom of the dispenser?
Nah mate, its the black steel barrel in the middle of the thrower body, about 2 inches diameter, one has a small hole for smaller loads as in small capacity type cases, the other is bigger to do charges for larger capacity type cases. the handle fixes on the side of it with two screws.
I'll have to have a look inside the powder reservoir tomorrow. I suspect it may be the large one as had both a 243 and what looked like a 303 set were on the turret. What's considered a small load? A starting load of 27 grains of say Benchmark 2 or something?

I'll take this topic across to the reloading section.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

A pierced primer can blow back some hot stuff at you. Wear safety glasses.

You will probably have 99 people out of 100 tell you those WSR primers you have are fine and gave them no problem. If you google 204 and pierced primers you may find they are ones that have pierced. I wasn't the only one. My experience was 10 yrs ago so things may be different now. Try them and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Not sure how the Win Primers go, I guess load a few and see how it goes but as Trev said put some glasses on to be on the safe side, but personally if it was me I'd just keep them for another SR cal and buy the Rem 7.5's to save the hassles.
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

You've soldd me on the safety side. Primers are probably the cheapest bit of reloading.

Camel, the orifice within is around 10mm diam.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Just work a load up with them Geoff. Unless you have anothing else that can use them? Start at min loads find a load that works and shoot em all then grab some different primers later. The Russian Muron 223 magnum sr are good too?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

and if you want any face to face assistance, I'm in Officer
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

trevort wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:06 pm and if you want any face to face assistance, I'm in Officer
Thanks Trev. 30 minutes down the Pack bypass is a good thing.

My wife's counsin runs Rawson Motors on the Highway.
HUNTERDELUX
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17rem and 204ruger

Post by HUNTERDELUX »

Ive been running a T3 Varmint in 204 for about 7 years, excellent round for fox's, very comparable to the 17rem, nice flat shooting round with little to no recoil.
As for loads ive settled with the 32zmax, rem case, rem 7.5 primer and 29.2 of 8208. 29.2 grn of 8208 is safe in my rifle but isnt recommended for other rifles, start low and work up slowly.

Justin
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

I have had a Ruger No1 Laminated Stainless Varmint in 204 since 2004. It was one of the first delivered into S.A. with a rather long waiting period as when I ordered it the States hadn't started shipments to Australia. I settled on CCI primer, 29 grains of 2206H with a 39 grain Sierra. Culled a lot of goats and fallow deer with that combination as well as roos when I was pro shooting. Bought a 22-250 about 5 years ago but as it didn't show any better performance over the 204 with the 39 Sierras up to fallow sized game I sold it. The load stated is safe in the Ruger but as it is over max stated charge in the ADI manual please follow all safty precausions.
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Thanks guys.