Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless

Post by barryb »

I thought I might enlist the vast experience of fellow AV's to assist me in making up my mind on the above.
For approx. 20 years I have had a M55 in 22.250 but in a weak moment I have passed it on. I'm now looking for an "updated" version , again in Tikka 22.250 calibre , something a bit newer. It will not necessarily be a walk around rifle , most of my shooting is window , & or over the bonnet or over the top of the twin cab & it will be used mainly for securing drags for night spotlighting for foxes , an occasional pig or dog if it pops its head up. Have been looking on Used Guns & there's a couple floating about on there , made an enquiry about the one " that's moved to Tamworth & only fired 200 rounds or so" but without scope etc & certainly not for $1350. Varmint barrel is also a preference.
Any suggestions on the T3 would be welcomed - my preference of course would be the other ones made in the same factory but regrettably $ considerations have impacted.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless

Post by Camel »

Get the M55 back again. :wink:
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

But it was very old Camel & the Tobler Match wasn't matching up anymore.
Barry
fenring

Post by fenring »

Nothing wrong with a T3.
Cammo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 Hornet

Post by Cammo »

barryb

I have Tikka T3 Lite in .243, Hunter SS Fluted in 7mm/08 and awaiting a T3 Varmint SS in .204.

I love the ones I have and look forward to the .204 Varmint and being a lefty I can order Tikkas to suite. I can't fault them on quality or accuracy. The .243 is in a Boyds laminate, the Hunter in Tikka's timber and the Varmint will remain in the factory synthetic.

I don't know many who can find a fault other than personal preferences. :D

Regards
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

G"Day Barry,

I have a T3 Varmint 204 R, With the synthetic stock. Im not a fan of the plastic stocks but bought it as I was sick and tired of beating up mu walnut stocks while spotlighting. So it fits the bill really well.

The bloody thing just shoots and has from day dot with both factory and hand loads. the thing shoot's tiny little groups with Berger 35 grain pills. The 32 grain Vmax's also shoot really well as with the 39 grain SBK's as with most peoples.

The factory trigger is great and I only adjusted it down slightly.

The one thing that did shit me the most is the Magazine. It was fine for around 5-600 rounds( Its been doing a lot of work, didnt buy it not to use it :twisted: ) and then we started getting instances where it would not pick up a round and or give a stove pipe jam. very bloody frustrating as last season it cost us a good few fox's when it would F up on a fast reload for multiple targets.

On close inspection of the plastic Mag it was observed that the plastic feed lips had worn down for the first 12-15 mm at the front and were allowing the shells to pop up at a sharp angle which either pushed them back down or let them go vertical. I contacted Beretta Australia who gave me a part number for a replacement magazine that has a stainless steel feed lip insert in it for Volume shooters :shock: . Set me back $160.00 but works a treat. Looking at the bloody thing it looks like I could make one to go in the old mag not much to it just a bit of mucking around.

We to seriously tossed up between the T3 and Sako 85 and went for the T3 with descent scope for price of the Sako alone. Mind you my brother thinks now we should have gone the Sako for the top loadable mag as he hates the Tikka mag with a passion now after the missed opportunities.

If I had my time again I would still go the Tikka great value for money in my book

All the best with the acquisition.

Flip
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Tikka varmint guns always place high in factory bench rest and fly matches. That ain't no accident. If u can live with the synthetic stock then go for it. They shoot way above their price tag. Can always update stocks to a body's or GRS later. I have two Tikkas and they both shoot like stink.
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

What can I say , that's just the stuff I was after & I'll now go & have a look at the one on Used Guns in Varmint Stainless. So thanks Fenring,Cammo,Flip (posted item yesterday)& Chappo , your info was very much appreciated. & not to say your suggestion wasn't helpful either Camel :) but you should know the old saying " a change is as good as a holiday".
Thanks again all
Barry
sooty_10
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by sooty_10 »

Also have a look at the sako A7. It has the top reload opening and comes with the metal lips in the magazine for better feeding/durability. Its basically a hybrid between the t3 and 75. You can also get them in the roughtech range which come with a bell and carson style stock too.

barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Thanks Sooty 10 - I will have a look but think constraints $ wise will impact with sako's.
Barry
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

If you don't go crazy with a heavy scope, a T3 Varmint is portable enough.
Cheers...
Con
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Noted - thanks Con. It will have a Bushnell El 5-35X50 when the time comes but I'm afraid my walking days are just about over . :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

I have a T3 in .223 and its my farm rifle(when I was farming). So it gets not special treatment and is used basically how you have described how you will be shooting. I love it and just wish I could shoot it more! Only thing that shot poorly out of it was highland ammo but I was so disappointed with the performance of the bullets when they did hit, I would never buy them again(plus I reload). It just works and there is no fuss about it.

Just a couple of things though. Be careful about buying after market magazines for them, especially larger capacity ones as I found they are really hard to use our of the door from some positions. From the way I shoot best anyway. The one I got also fed like crap and was nearly impossible to use with more than 7 shots or more.

I would also be getting a rail to out on it. I wish they would come with a picatinny as standard. There are some "go fast/tacticool" parts for them these days too. They are getting so popular, after market people are getting in on the act. For me that says that the rifles are worth as good as they say. IMO they are probably one of the best value for money rifle on the market today. Great price, great accuracy and very consistent from what I have heard.

The mags are expensive to buy from the factory but I am sure as time goes on, more people will make parts and the price will drop. I have put easy 1000+ shot out of mine and the mag is great. Never had feeding issues with the factory one. After market mags are another story but that's the mags fault.

Highly recommend T3
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Thanks Plowboy - just walking the floor waiting for the PTA to arrive. I previously had a M55 but after the numerous responses here I'm confident I've made the right choice.
Barry
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

My brother has two Tikka T3 SS varmints - a .204 and a .30-06. Both bought second-hand, both shoot like stink, and both took very little effort to find respective reloads that shoot well.

He started off with Leupold rings and bases but has moved to a rail and QD rings on both.

In some ways they are the perfect rifle for someone starting out with shooting and reloading - I havent yet heard of anyone who was disappointed with accuracy, and they seem very easy to find an accurate load for.

Marcus