Howa Mini

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Howa Mini

Post by Tony Z »

Agreed johnno. I have a T3 in 39 that shoots tiny groups and kills oinkers stone dead with a number of pill choices. The mini as is now will not lend itself to PPC or 39 because the magazine will not come close to cycling or even loading either case properly. Until the mini 39s come in we will have to wait. I just hope they come in 308 not the 311.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Tony Z wrote:Thanks guys. There is a SS 204 mini HB on the way for me now. Some are still available from what i was told.
Strange as I've had one on order that was due last Oct-Dec and still nothing. Mind you, I kind ofgave up asking after Christmas ... might drop into the gunshop again tommorow.

Still dislike the magazines though.
Cheers...
Con
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Just checked with my LGS ... Howa Mini HB 204s are apparently available.
Cheers...
Con
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

The April-June Guns and Game has a review by Andy Montgomery on the Howa Mini in 223.

Andy's conclusion...
In conclusion the Howa Mini performed well throughout the test, and we did little or no missing in the field. I would like to see Howa look seriously at changing the magazine latch to a push forward latch to eliminate accidentally losing the magazine. The basic simple design employed will give great service for a long time to come, and I would love to see a hinged floorplate model!

He rates it as "...close to the original perfect 222 rifle. The L461 Sako which was the perfect scaled action and rifle for the 222 Remington."

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Con wrote:Just checked with my LGS ... Howa Mini HB 204s are apparently available.
Cheers...
Con

So have I been wasting my time and fingers in my attempt to get you going on the other build ? :? :lol:
adamjp wrote:The April-June Guns and Game has a review by Andy Montgomery on the Howa Mini in 223.

Andy's conclusion...
In conclusion the Howa Mini performed well throughout the test, and we did little or no missing in the field. I would like to see Howa look seriously at changing the magazine latch to a push forward latch to eliminate accidentally losing the magazine. The basic simple design employed will give great service for a long time to come, and I would love to see a hinged floorplate model!

He rates it as "...close to the original perfect 222 rifle. The L461 Sako which was the perfect scaled action and rifle for the 222 Remington."

I guess Andy has his ideas on perfect rifles for that sized case, others wont agree with him. I don't think its a scratch on a Sako L461, even though I reckon the Sakos are over rated, they are a hell of a lot better built rifle than anything that will come out of the Howa factory. Howa shortened the action by a half inch or so then jammed a heap of plastic rubbish on the bottom, there is no other difference that I can see between it and the 1500 standard model. No big deal. Dunno what the big fuss is all about really. :D
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

I spent a bit of time handling a HB Mini in 222Rem blued today. Really torn by these. The handling is really compact and stubby, the magazine system leaves me very cold. Just playing, twice it dropped out not having latched correctly. Bottom of the magazine is loose too. If a flush box or drop floorplate was available I'd be REALLY excited!

As is, I grabbed a T3 Lite as comparison. Sleeker looking thanks to the flush box, snappier trigger. The T3 Lite would need a chop to come to 20". T3 SuperLite could be shunted, T3x Compact is only in 223Rem at this stage, but is 20" with a stock that can be shortened (no mounts though) to drop length further. The T3 adds a good $200 on the Howa, but that poxy box on the Howa really does shit me no end! :cry:
Cheers...
Con
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

20 cal Con, 20 cal. A little bird told me Sprinter will do a good SS 20 cal barrel for a very keen price these days. :wink: :twisted: :lol:
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

camel,
Yep, the 20cal is a given ... right now I'm talking to the voices in my head about these options:
1. Grab a cheap Sprinter 20cal barrel and put it on a Stevens 200 as a 20/222 at 20" length.
2. Buy a stainless Howa Mini 204Ruger and just be done with it. Then hope flush boxes or hinged plate become available.
3. Buy a T3 Lite in 204Ruger and try it, then chop the barrel to 19- 20".
4. Or find a donor Rem700 and fit the Sprinter as a 20/222.

Local gunsmith I need to speak with is also shunting 204Ruger barrels I presume to allow 223Rem brass to be used, and then shortening the 204 dies a fraction to suit.

But ... I could just back the 204Ruger off for longer barrel life, and still make 20/222 speeds? :lol:
Cheers...
Con
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Con, you really need to stop listening to the other voices in your head, the first one you mention sounds like a good option. Who in their right mind want to use boring old factory cartridges. Howa mini, just another wannabe big whoopee about not much really, 204 Ruger is too long, it just doesn't look right. T3s and Remingtons, :roll: , yeah, nah, too common mate, everyone and their dog have them.

Did that help ??
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Con wrote:camel,
... right now I'm talking to the voices in my head about these options:

Cheers...
Con
Con, Con, Con, Con you know when you listen to those voices you end up doing nothing :stir: :stir:

Gotta let the heart rule the head occasionally, without out that the human race would have gotten no where :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

OH NO, I haven't by default encouraged someone to get a damn little 20 cal have I :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Don't worry Waldo. Almost decided to be decisive and just but a Howa Mini 204Rugged. Money saved buys a second barrel for a Savage in 20/222. It's only the magazine assembly I dislike after all.

Then again. The T3 is nice too... and lighter for carry duties, plus already have spare Varmint stick and mounts and... :lol:

Might just build a 30/223! :roll:
Cheers...
Con
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Yes Con in my experience there is nothing worse than a poxy box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

trevort wrote:Yes Con in my experience there is nothing worse than a poxy box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, now I'm back to the T3 Lite. :roll:

Can't someone just decide for me? :lol:

Need short, lightweight, portable, accurate, chuck-about-able...
Cheers...
Con
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

Rep coming in to the shop today.
Following up on floor plate top feed availability .

Just don't like the mag system.

Big G.
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Re: RE: Re: Howa Mini

Post by zook60 »

big G wrote:Rep coming in to the shop today.
Following up on floor plate top feed availability .

Just don't like the mag system.

Big G.
Dont hold your breath, I emailed both Howa japan and legacy and they say its not even on the radar.