Howa Mini Sporter/Varminter

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Re: Howa Mini Sporter/Varminter

Post by johno1 »

Trev, they don't look off mate, I was very surprised actually thought it was 5 shot. They arnt single stack, its a staggered magazine. Really I was impressed and i'm a fussy old bugger. the action was every bit as smooth as my old sako.

Certainly worth going in and having a look at one even if your not buying, reckon these howas are a great value rifle

Johno
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

johno1 wrote:Trev, they don't look off mate, I was very surprised actually thought it was 5 shot. They arnt single stack, its a staggered magazine. Really I was impressed and i'm a fussy old bugger. the action was every bit as smooth as my old sako.

Certainly worth going in and having a look at one even if your not buying, reckon these howas are a great value rifle

Johno
you wicked evil man

like I could just look!!!!!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Was in Sydney today and stopped in to see Pete at Safari Firearms. He graciously allowed me to handle the new Howa Micro. It is smaller in all dimensions than the standard Howa. Go and see Pete at Safari if you are looking to buy one, he will cut you a solid deal on one.

Howa Short Action v Howa Mini Action
Howa SA v Howa MA 2.jpg
Howa SA v Howa MA.jpg
The Mini Action itself
Howa MA.jpg
The all-plastic DBM.
Howa MA DBM.jpg

The bolt handle is proportional to the action, the trigger appears the same as factory and the action is profiled to take Rem700 bases. Very similar to the Zastava m85, but better final finish.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Looks good Adam, what sort of $$ are they going for at Safari?
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

The blued sporter weight I photographed seemed to be about $750, but I am sure Pete can work a great deal if you buy a scope, etc. at the same time.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

adamjp wrote:The blued sporter weight I photographed seemed to be about $750, but I am sure Pete can work a great deal if you buy a scope, etc. at the same time.
Thanks for that Adam - Once I find out how the shoot etc I might just do that! :D
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Good bits of kit it seems!
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

That grumpy fart Johno raised my interest. Shot off to the LGS and handled the Mini -standard (22" C/M lite barrel), and the HB 20" stainless.

$785 and $895 respectfully.

The 20" HB is my pick, if a blued 204Ruger comes to market I'm in, may even stretch for a stainless HB but must be a 204Ruger for flinging 34gr pills. The HB I'd be tempted to set back to 20Practical given the amount of 223Rem brass I have.

Oddly, the Ruger Ranch 300BO is not a bad handler either and at just under $700, could make a fun cast bullet rifle. :oops:
Cheers...
Con
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Grumpy old fart, oh well you can't argue with facts :shock: :lol:

Really mate I see a 5 shot magazine as an after market offer or maybe factory down the line a bit. Reckon the best 20 cal option would be a simple 20/222 like Mark did. Nice and simple for a school teacher eh?

Johno
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Mate,
Might just keep it as a 204Ruger, the HB is about $875. Grab a x1000 pack of 34gr SHOT projectiles, load them as hot as can go and just blast through the barrel rather than paying to shunt it and rechamber.

That the rifle is under 100cm is a bonus too, will fit nicely in the bread box in the back of the ute as a travel rifle.
Cheers...
Con
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Yeah Nah
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Con and Johno, you two blokes should really get onto the Zastava M85 action band wagon, nice and cheap, perfect fit for 222, 223 and 204 cartridges, blah blah blah blah, etc, etc, etc, you know the rest. :lol: The biggest plus is no friggen hang down detachable magazine. :D
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Camel wrote:Con and Johno, you two blokes should really get onto the Zastava M85 action band wagon, nice and cheap, perfect fit for 222, 223 and 204 cartridges, blah blah blah blah, etc, etc, etc, you know the rest. :lol: The biggest plus is no friggen hang down detachable magazine. :D
I've been the owner and shooter of a Mark X Mini Mauser since 1995 (many would know it as a Zastava m85) and owned a few more along the way. I'm pretty confident I know their strengths and weaknesses through many years of tinkering.

The Howa Mini action is a better thing all the way around - except for the DBM. Don't really like the DBM although it would be great for teaching new shooters in the bush as you will know exactly what state the rifle is in - UNLOADED. I don't think it will take too long for a proper bottom metal to come to market.

They are sized similar to a L461 Sako (ie. a bit bigger than the m85), but you can buy spare parts for them, extractors, triggers, replacement stocks, aftermarket triggers,... well you get the idea. Even with the current DBM style metal, a proper bottom metal is still more available for a Mini Howa than new bottom metal for a L461 because someone MIGHT actually make one. They are not a 30yo+ action being flogged as the holy grail of smallbores for stupid money.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

adamjp wrote:
Camel wrote:Con and Johno, you two blokes should really get onto the Zastava M85 action band wagon, nice and cheap, perfect fit for 222, 223 and 204 cartridges, blah blah blah blah, etc, etc, etc, you know the rest. :lol: The biggest plus is no friggen hang down detachable magazine. :D
I've been the owner and shooter of a Mark X Mini Mauser since 1995 (many would know it as a Zastava m85) and owned a few more along the way. I'm pretty confident I know their strengths and weaknesses through many years of tinkering.

The Howa Mini action is a better thing all the way around - except for the DBM. Don't really like the DBM although it would be great for teaching new shooters in the bush as you will know exactly what state the rifle is in - UNLOADED. I don't think it will take too long for a proper bottom metal to come to market.

They are sized similar to a L461 Sako (ie. a bit bigger than the m85), but you can buy spare parts for them, extractors, triggers, replacement stocks, aftermarket triggers,... well you get the idea. Even with the current DBM style metal, a proper bottom metal is still more available for a Mini Howa than new bottom metal for a L461 because someone MIGHT actually make one. They are not a 30yo+ action being flogged as the holy grail of smallbores for stupid money.
Well Said. :D