17wsm

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: 17wsm

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Any reports on the accuracy of the new savage target 17wsm
Looks the goods but can it deliver?
Original savage model released very poorly rated ...
Attachments
image.jpg
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by sometime shooter »

No I haven't but I have a mate up in Brissie who has the standard model and bin'd the stock for a Boyds laminate and made a massive difference, that stock looks very boyd'y to me.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

sometime shooter wrote:No I haven't but I have a mate up in Brissie who has the standard model and bin'd the stock for a Boyds laminate and made a massive difference, that stock looks very boyd'y to me.
It's a Boyds alright! new model has a 1-8 twist .....might be a winner?
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Yep sure does look good, I would imagine that it should shoot pretty well to. If I could get a bigger safe and hide it from wife without noticing, which is am impossible task as she notices everything.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

sometime shooter wrote:Yep sure does look good, I would imagine that it should shoot pretty well to. If I could get a bigger safe and hide it from wife without noticing, which is am impossible task as she notices everything.
Feel your pain ...as the good wife gets the mail any new permits are seen!!!
Very hard to hide
:(
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Sako 22-250 wrote:
sometime shooter wrote:Yep sure does look good, I would imagine that it should shoot pretty well to. If I could get a bigger safe and hide it from wife without noticing, which is am impossible task as she notices everything.
Very hard to hide

Havent you got a mate that can keep his mouth shut. :wink:

If I have to, I tell the missus that the envelope from the Firearms registry is just a new certificate because I found an error in one of my old ones, works for a few times, but I think she has me sussed now. :o
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:
Sako 22-250 wrote:
Very hard to hide

Havent you got a mate that can keep his mouth shut. :wink:

If I have to, I tell the missus that the envelope from the Firearms registry is just a new certificate because I found an error in one of my old ones, works for a few times, but I think she has me sussed now. :o
...after a dozen or so replacement certificates no doubt :lol:
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Just to get us back on topic, just a little :D

You all know I reckon winchester got it wrong in going for 20 or 22 cal :shock:

A bloke in the US, very respected & knowledgable member on saubier & rimfir central did some work on the case re necking up to 20cal

Case capacity 9.93 usable
30grn hornady seated to end of neck
COL 1.770"
9.2grn of best available powder = 32681 PSI
Est velocity 3,021 fps

I rest my case :wink:

He is trying to neck up to 22 cal and do the calculations, might be difficult. I suggest using the 27 cal nail gun parent case. He says the case a good bit shorter so winchester have drawn it out a good bit

Johno
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

I can't complain about 17 cal I used to have a 17hmr and it killed bunnies and fox's fine within it's range limit. Truth be told in a little while I am gonna have to do a bit of a spend as I have started shooting F class, got a old omark off one of the guys, it's on it's 4 replacement barrel and that's done 3500 odd rounds, still put's them in the 6 ring at 900 so can't complain. Will bring it along to the Missathon, problem is the action is starting to show it's age so gonna have to find a replacement at some stage.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Woke up this morning, and for some reason 17WSM was floating around in amongst the other crap in my brain, dunno why, has anyone had any further experience with one of the rifles chambered in this cartridge ? Heard of any available rifles other than Ruger and B-mag ? :D
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Whatever you stick the chambered barrel on?
Why go back to factory produced now?
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

DSD wrote:Whatever you stick the chambered barrel on?
Yes, good call. A mate from work has a 17 HMR and wants to upgrade, just because. It might make sense for him to put a new custom barrel on his existing gun, or can you just rechamber and existing 17HMR to 17WSM?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

RDavies wrote:
DSD wrote:Whatever you stick the chambered barrel on?
Yes, good call. A mate from work has a 17 HMR and wants to upgrade, just because. It might make sense for him to put a new custom barrel on his existing gun, or can you just rechamber and existing 17HMR to 17WSM?

There is one slight fly in the ointment there, different head size to HMR and 22 mugnum :wink: . Then the feeding from the magazine for the fatter case, not so simple. Was mainly wondering if anyone had got their hands on a new rifle and had a play, what the ammo is like these days, etc. Winchester 1885 Low Wall single shot would be interesting, Martini, maybe a Ruger no 1 converted ?
Not that I will be getting any more built till the work situation improves a lot, but its good to have these things in the back of the mind. :D
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Got a mate up in Brissie who has the B Mag, has ditched the factory stock for a Boyds and it improved the accuracy a heap. Don't know if the ammo has improved re split necks. Other than that seems to be a good thing if you don't want to reload a 17 cal
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

And case length as well, there no other repeater actions out there that are suitable, maybe a 22 hornet action if the bolt could be converted to rimfire, yeah I know why would you

Johno