Flirting with the dark side

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Flirting with the dark side

Post by adamjp »

Yes, they have cookies.

A friend of mine bought a used Remington Model 7 in 223 recently and factory ammunition left indifferent accuracy so he brought it to me for a gander down the bore. It needs a new throat.

He was wondering what I could do with the rifle instead of having the barrel set back. I suggested my personal favourite of 6/223, but he was keen on factory ammunition as the rifle was destined for his brother in the NT. It was to become a dash gun for donkeys so 223 was preferred. He called around a few blokes who owed him favours and one gent came up with a used 204 Ruger off a sporter grade Remington 700. Price? Free. Deal done I got hold of the barrel, popped a stainless recoil lug onto it and had the shoulder setback a bit to make the headspace correct.

So, what bullet for cerebral bypass for a donkey? The 32gn ACP of course.

Loaded a representative set up today. Looking for accuracy more than outright speed. Whilst I am load testing in high 20's, the rifle will be used in low 30s temperatures so I am not exploring the upper limits. For these same reasons I am using BM8208 instead of AR2206H - the 8208 is a little more temperature insensitive.

Loaded a few up this morning for load testing tomorrow.
204.jpg