Lightweight rifles?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by mick_762 »

trevort wrote:not only is the reel screaming, there is smoke pouring out of the drag and the hook is damn near bent

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now now, Stevil hasnt met Smee before . . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Where is kickinback I'm sure he would have sensible to add here.
Cheers
Ol 55
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

:shock: Wow, plenty of long bows being drawn tonight.

Onya Smee, go for the juggler, talk about chucking petrol onto the fire. :lol:

Stevil, are you saying that you didn't have to do plenty of fine tuning with your Howa ? Must be a one off as every other one I have heard about needs a lot of work, same as most factory rifles. Cant really see the trigger being better than the ones on Zastavas, are they fully adjustable by the owner ? Most I have seen have been sent off to the trigger bloke on Ebay.
Ol 55 wrote:Where is kickinback I'm sure he would have sensible to add here.
Cheers
Ol 55
He sure would Gary, pity he isn't around any more. :roll:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Camel wrote:............snip...........Stevil, are you saying that you didn't have to do plenty of fine tuning with your Howa ? Must be a one off as every other one I have heard about needs a lot of work, same as most factory rifles. Cant really see the trigger being better than the ones on Zastavas, are they fully adjustable by the owner ? Most I have seen have been sent off to the trigger bloke on Ebay.........snip.........
Hi Camel. My Howa isn't a mini, but it ran fine straight from the box. Trigger adjusted down to about 3lb and works fine, but didn't want to go lower. I use a Timney at 8oz for competition though.

Can't comment on the Zasty, as I've never shot one.........

..... bugga, I forgot, I'm s'posed to be munching on popcorn! :lol:
mick_762
50 BMG

Post by mick_762 »

Camel wrote:
Ol 55 wrote:Where is kickinback I'm sure he would have sensible to add here.
Cheers
Ol 55
He sure would Gary, pity he isn't around any more. :roll:

Camel ,
There is a big difference between "not around" and banned. I also enjoyed his input both technically and shooting/hunting related.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

[quote="mick_762

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
hmmmmm, no one has met Smee before, just sayin........ :roll:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

[quote="mick_762

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
hmmmmm, no one has met Smee before, just sayin........ :roll:
mick_762
50 BMG

Post by mick_762 »

trevort wrote: hmmmmm, no one has met Smee before, just sayin........ :roll:
Met / abused / accosted / insulted
They are all kinda similar hahaha
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Thanks for the good info guys.. I'm not sure what happened for a few pages there but I think I get the general gist of it! :D

I think Missed's point of growing at a fast rate etc has sunk in and I'll see how things go over the next few months. I'm in no huge hurry. She'll be using a cooper in a couple of months so I'm not betting she'll go back to the Ruger Amercian very politely after that! :mrgreen:

Actually, just to stir the pot a bit I was thinking of the Winchester Featherweight in 7-08 but then she'll have a better gun than me and I'm not sure I'm ready emotionally for that just yet!
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

We all buy the kids better guns than ours, we just 'borrow' them till the kids are ready. :mrgreen: Damn it, the 4 yo seems to be a lefty!!! Ruger No1 time. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Lowndsie,
You haven't got a 461 Sako have you I would lend you a 30/221 barrel short stock and brass and dies and a heap of FMJ's for her to get used to it.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Gary
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Hey mick having read the way smee rants about, I suspect he is 1 of the regulars taking the ' Mickey ' allgood :twisted: :lol:
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Stevil wrote:Holy crap smee where did that post come from...

The Zastava are an average product that respond to alot of fine tuning, the stuff brought in 15yrs ago was finished to a much better level. Ive only owned 4 Zastava's so I really have no idea what Im taking about lol

The 7.62 doesnt really work very well in such a skinny action, the H mini doesnt have the feed issue due to the mag set up.

And smee the howa Mini I have in the gunsafe slotted nicely into the Zastava Mini Boyd thumbhole stock, just opened up the mag section a smidge, no offence but what are you smoking.

Trigger on the howa leaves the zastava for dead and Howa mini s shoot damn good so get over yaself cant be arsed responding to the rest of your waffle.

you clearly have an agenda, not sure what you ain of your post was ??
It looks to me as Smee's only agenda is to point out some discrepancies in your reviews of the howa mini and information he has read elsewhere.

It appears as though the howa mini either needs a lot of work and it is not ready straight out of the box or that everyone that buys them knows better than the factory.
I also believe Smee is not the only 1 who would like to see some of your results with your Mini.

You may have owned 4 Zastava's but it was extremely funny that Camel needed to inform you the correct magazine capacity and that of course heavy projectiles do not feed properly as the rifle was probably never designed for over 150gr projectiles as it is not the intention of the cartridge hence why adi do not even have a load listed for over 150.

I believe the second part of Smee's post alludes to the fact that Adam comes across as someone who reads a lot but does not really consider the practical application due to lack of experience and why make things harder then they need to be. WTF is a 6.5 grendel/grundell whatever it is and what do we know about it? Compare this to 7.62x39 Russian with all the information components and rifles available.

What does game over mean? is your head really that far up your pooper valve that you think a discussion on a forum is a competition?
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

trevort wrote:[quote="mick_762

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hmmmmm, no one has met Smee before, just sayin........ :roll:[/quote]
I have he is actually not a bad bloke that has a fair idea what he is talking about. The most frustrating part about this forum business for him is his lack of knowledge on computers and the amount of time it takes him to type. This is why it shits him when people waffle on and talk utter garbage, it probably took him an hour to type that and knowing roughly what Stevils reply would be he probably pre typed his response
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

LOL juzz I fired factory ammo in the 7.6x39 and then started working up loads for 150s and 180s as I had planned on using it as quiet cullin rifle for Reds on a small semi rural block, I stated the correct mag capacity ....

I did work up a subsonic load with the HRBC 180gr using trailboss and the bastards shot a coverleaf group, but functionality was shot, the slim action just doesnt feed longer projectile or anything with a metplate.

the Howa shoot real damn good, fact is Ive been busy as with fishing and car racing stuff, my apologoies for not supplying more accuracy stuff but its only had a few session with me behind the trigger, a mate did a some range work and it show Howa makes a great barrel. Anyway Im not a 223 fan and I only bought it to check out the action before the Grendel lands here. I got a great price on it (sub 700) and will recover my money on it as ive pretty much sold it to a mate that has a fox problem out Oberon way.

I wont be handloading for it anymore but I did buy some of the OSA factory SP ammo for it on friday to test and set it up for the mate buying it.

It my first Howa and apart from no 5 shots mags being available I think the actions is great value for money, Ive had an Anschutz 54 222, Zastava mini's an 2 Sako L579s in the gunsafe in the last decade and rate this as good if not better than them all !!!!. The anschutz has a design flaw in that pierced primers redirect gases back down the firing pin off the cheek and back into ur eyeball, zastava's have crappy little bolt handles and QC is hit n miss, damn fine barrels infact I just used a unfired Zastava barrel on custom Husky HVA build, L579s lovely action but father time has left them vunerable to weak mag springs and extractors that may not be upto the job in the heat of the battle ( I had 1 fail on an NT trip) needless to say they werent available I had to have a custom extractor made $$$$$. Anyway there's some more ammo for smee to load up .... waiting for round 2