OK So Who's Getting a 300 Win Mag Soon?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: OK So Who's Getting a 300 Win Mag Soon?

Post by MISSED »

mn1863 wrote:Not sure why, but I was convinced recently I needed a 300 win mag at the right price. It arrived with my dealer Wednesday and my permit arrives next Wednesday. Not a heavy barrelled model like a few here but should be an interesting foray into the medium bore magnums, never the less.

Dont think it will be as flash as Camels pink thing though. :D

Pics or it didn`t happen.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

mn1863 wrote:Not sure why, but I was convinced recently I needed a 300 win mag at the right price. It arrived with my dealer Wednesday and my permit arrives next Wednesday. Not a heavy barrelled model like a few here but should be an interesting foray into the medium bore magnums, never the less.

Dont think it will be as flash as Camels pink thing though. :D
Good stuff mate, always good to hear someone buying more guns. :D
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Camel wrote: Good stuff mate, always good to hear someone buying more guns. :D
I've done my share for the industry this year. :D
MISSED wrote: Pics or it didn`t happen.
When I grab it, I will try to remember to put some up.
Greysa
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by Greysa »

Just stumbled across your articles on the hunt and shoot network, Kieth. I like the way it is laid out. Very informative and logical. I have been messing with the idea of a LR gun for a while, but a few other gun purchases are coming in that have left very few pennies in the piggy bank. I am by no means an expert, but I was curious, I would think that a 7mm rem mag with comparable bullet weights to the 300, would be a better choice as the smaller diameter bullet has the superior ballistic coefficient due to its better sectional density?
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Greysa wrote:Just stumbled across your articles on the hunt and shoot network, Kieth. I like the way it is laid out. Very informative and logical. I have been messing with the idea of a LR gun for a while, but a few other gun purchases are coming in that have left very few pennies in the piggy bank. I am by no means an expert, but I was curious, I would think that a 7mm rem mag with comparable bullet weights to the 300, would be a better choice as the smaller diameter bullet has the superior ballistic coefficient due to its better sectional density?
Totally agree that 7mm is a better option.... on many fronts.... :stir:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Stop making so much sense you two. Let the sheep be sheep.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

If 7mm is so much better than 7.62mm that would make the 6.5mm the ducks nuts.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

:shock: Wft is going on here, its sposed to be calibre creep, not shrinkage, or is that what you blokes are used to. :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

MISSED wrote:If 7mm is so much better than 7.62mm that would make the 6.5mm the ducks nuts.
Well that would that make the 6mm even better than the 6.5 :lol:
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

we'll get to the 20 sooner or latter :lol:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Greysa wrote:Just stumbled across your articles on the hunt and shoot network, Kieth. I like the way it is laid out. Very informative and logical. I have been messing with the idea of a LR gun for a while, but a few other gun purchases are coming in that have left very few pennies in the piggy bank. I am by no means an expert, but I was curious, I would think that a 7mm rem mag with comparable bullet weights to the 300, would be a better choice as the smaller diameter bullet has the superior ballistic coefficient due to its better sectional density?
True but look at the energy figures the 300 has heaps more for lr hunting.

That being said as I stated in my calibre choice article both the 7mm and the 308cals had their benefits and I wanted a 300win for no other reason other than I wanted one.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

kjd wrote:

That being said as I stated in my calibre choice article both the 7mm and the 308cals had their benefits and I wanted a 300win for no other reason other than I wanted one.
So a 7mm Practical didn't sound cool enough? Or you wanted factory?
Greysa
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by Greysa »

kjd wrote:

That is a fair call.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Greysa wrote:
kjd wrote:

That is a fair call.
hard one to argue with anyway LOL
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

kjd wrote:

Energy figures is why I am doing the 358 swede improved. 225 accubonds sure carry it out there.