Resurecting an old workhorse

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Re: Resurecting an old workhorse

Post by Dr G »

Thanks again for the comments and yes I am having a lot of fun sitting back while you blokes decide on the right calibre for the rifle. This rifle will primarily be my go too rifle for goats. Now the propertys I have access to for goats dont have anything bigger on them except for one which rarely has fallow deer comming through it. This property is currently up for sale and if it is still available after the property settlement with the exwife then I am going to put an offer in on it.

The other use it may have is as a second rifle if I take out friends shooting who didnt bring their own.

As for shooting ranges the main goat property I have access to is on the southern edge of the Gawler Ranges and is mostly flat mallee country with a few granite outcrops. Here you would get a maximum visibility of 200m and most goat hunting is done with the owners dogs (camp dogs from the APY lands, a dangerous mongrel mix of dingo, sheppard, kelpie and bull terrier). The owner hunts goats here a lot like people use dogs on pigs. Personally I am looking forwards to getting down there without them and having a quiet stalk. The goat deer property i mentioned is very thick scrub in hilly country where the longest shot would be 70m tops. I have occasional access to a goat property up this way and here you can often see goats from km's away but I personally like to try and get to within 100m (no mean feat given the lack of cover and noisy loose rocks). But given its location I am more likely to have the 30-06 with me than this 6mm.

Ned your right I dont like taking shots out over 300m. This is a personal thing but I feel that using the 223 I am more likely to miss and educate a cat rather than hit it. If I had others with me shooting they would have had to demonstrate some considerable accuracy on paper before I would be comfortable with them taking shots out over 300m. This may change when I get the 204 and have worked out its idiosyncracies. I expect it will be orders of magnatude more accurate than anything I have owned before. Trevs 6-250 was amazing and if shane builds me something of that standard then I am going to be real happy.

But back to the ressurection, Malcom has allready given me a near new barrel and I want to have a look at it and talk it over with shane. I must admit to beginning to get a bit of a bug up my arse for Mr Ackley's favorite mod but from what bushcook was telling me to get the best out of a AI I would need to look at a new longer barrel. If it ends up a bog standard 243 then by the time it has had a few thousand rounds through it then I will be financial enough to rebarrel it to something fancy, 6-250AI, 6x47Lapua, 240 Wby Magnum.

ps Ogre, Me a good off hand shot, you must have me confused with someone else or know a lot of shitty shooters :lol: :lol: :lol: . That said the Tikka T3 Hunter is absolutely wonderful rifle to throw up to the shoulder and shoot after spending most of my life with a full wood stocked SMLE

Thanks again

Dr G
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Dr G wrote: ps Ogre, Me a good off hand shot, you must have me confused with someone else or know a lot of shitty shooters :lol: :lol: :lol: . That said the Tikka T3 Hunter is absolutely wonderful rifle to throw up to the shoulder and shoot after spending most of my life with a full wood stocked SMLE

Thanks again

Dr G
If you want to sell yourself short :?: :?: :hunting:
- but I know what I saw

later
P
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

MISSED wrote:Hiwall thats nice is that an original recoil pad.Dr G it is a pain the safety is seized going to make getting the fireing pin out a pain.Have one here if you want to swing by and pick it up On your way to C berra.Mate the baby brumbies back line looks impressive to me alot of future there.But the tight five are far and away the form Aussie pack and should really put it to a lot of other sides.It worries me though there just seems to be something missing in their play.Phikl Kearns said the Brumbies have a winning culture but it seems to me they are playing more of a safety first game :shock: waiting for heir opponents to make a mistake than taking the initiative.Makes for boring football that does not draw crowds (end of rant).Hope you enjoy the game would love to be there :roll:
Agree they were way to cautious this time against the tahs. But for what ever reasons they just were not switched on this week. Phibbs made some absolute shockers early on and it seemed to dent his confidence. Up until this game I would saw him clearly as the form scrum half alongside that young bloke from the force (excuse the pun but i mean the new younger fella not Chris O'Young). In the forwards if the Brumbies could sort out their lineout then they would be a shoe in to make the wallabies especially in the front row. Why the tahs persist with Baxter I will never know, he has improved heaps but is now indellibly marked as unstable in the scrum, so opposition sides deliberatly collapse the side he is on and the refs ping him. Despite loosing the game the Brumbies and the Force are the only Aussie sides that still play a running style of play rather than forever handing possesion back by kicking and waiting for the opposition to make a mistake (ie the Tahs and the reds). Occasionally when the weather is poor this boring style will win matches but, hopefully, when Robbie Deans picks his side he will look for an aggressive attacking team with solid defence (sounds like the brumbies of old :D ).

We might have to make a Super 14 thread in the off topic section otherwise this thread is going to get confusing. Yass isnt to far from Canberra is it, you should try and make this fridays match.

Cheers mate

Dr G
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

ogre6br wrote:If you want to sell yourself short :?: :?: :hunting:
- but I know what I saw

later
P

Cheers mate
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Dr G,
glad you find us entertaining!

I've seen many a clever idea become undone because it was either too clever and couldn't handle the task it was required to do or some dumb sh*t couldn't work it out! :roll:

So cynically, I've become a very firm believer in the KISS principle, and it seems to work! :lol:

good luck and we'll all look forward to the progress reports as you rebuild her!

Cheerio Ned
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Ok, my turn for an opinion. How about a .260 Rem?
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Oh sorry. Yes you already have a 6mm barrel. The 240 Weatherby might be fun.
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

Had the shits with work today so I took an hour off to start sanding back the old girl. I have just given it a rough over with some coarse paper and will use some paint stripper to get the varnish out of the checkering and from the hard to reach places. After I had finished i poured some metho onto the varnish free wood to see what it will look like oiled. To say I was impressed is to say too little. It came up a nice dark red colour with some nice grain running through it. Why they used glossy varnish on this bit of timber is beyond me. I am seriously enthused in cleaning up this stock now, I think it will be a keeper.

pics to follow in a few days

Dr G
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Drg just wondering how the 6mm goat gutta is coming along.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Hi Dr, love the read but need some PICTURES :wink:
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

G'Day fellas, have been down in the big smoke (Pt Augusta) for the week with work and am still pretty much chasing my tail. I am hoping to do a bit more on the stock on sunday so if I get the chance I will put up some picks then.

cheers

Dr G
Cougardell

Post by Cougardell »

Dr G,
Just curious - how did this project turn out? The initial pictures really made it look as though it had lots of potential.

C.
tankey

Post by tankey »

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing some pics too...
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Dr G,

That looks like the rifle that Mickey Taylor from Wolf Creek used as part of his clean up Australia campaign :mrgreen: What a score.

Regards

Sean
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

The project has kinda stalled at the moment. It will still happen but i have a few other priorities to deal with before I can get to it.

I promise I will update with pic's etc just as soon as I start working on it.

:D Sean it does have a bit of style as is dosent it :wink:

Dr G