Steyr pro hunter

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Steyr pro hunter

Post by matang »

I had a look at one yesterday at Lgs. After I got over the look of it and picked it up. Felt really comfortable had good check weld. Barrel nearly 24 long 1/9 twist but the best thing was the set trigger which is as good as any custom trigger I have used. I am now seriously thinking of one in 223 as a no nonsense walk about spotlight rifle for fox. They are on special for $1090 for the blue version.
I was going to wait for the Lithgow but they will be around $1200 and I still would have to get trigger done.
I could put a new stock and barrel on my cz 223 to get it to where I want it but that will cost me $1000.
I keep coming back to the cost and that trigger on the Steyr. Anyone else had a look at these ?
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: Steyr pro hunter

Post by kickinback »

I've only looked, and at the time they were the same price as a Sauer 202 classic that were being run out at the time. The Sauer got all of my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Her matang, review article oncoming via Crackers.....

Marcus
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Matang, the LGS let me fondle one a while back as an alternative to my first preference. While it wasn't quite my style I was impressed with it enormously. The quality and finish looked top notch.

That set trigger is awesome!

In the end I went with my first choice but if my budget had been a little lower there is no doubt I would have got the Steyr. Oh, I was after a varmint barrel and I believe that should be available for just a little more.

matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

Branxhunter wrote:Her matang, review article oncoming via Crackers.....

Marcus
Thanks mate. Got that article at home.
The Raven wrote:Matang, the LGS let me fondle one a while back as an alternative to my first preference. While it wasn't quite my style I was impressed with it enormously. The quality and finish looked top notch.

That set trigger is awesome!

In the end I went with my first choice but if my budget had been a little lower there is no doubt I would have got the Steyr. Oh, I was after a varmint barrel and I believe that should be available for just a little more.

Not after a varmint barrel this time more a walk about rifle
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I couldn't own a gun that ugly. Just personal opinion but it would begin and end there for me
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

What do you reckon you need the CZ changed for ? Would have thought that even a sporter weight barrel would be good for walking around, not as if you are going to be shooting lots of shots in a short time. Not that I'm implying that you shouldn't get a new rifle, just curious is all.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

ignore that. was thinking of the scout
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

trevort wrote:ignore that. was thinking of the scout
I couldn't own a scout rifle they are ugly even though I guess they serve a purpose
Camel wrote:What do you reckon you need the CZ changed for ? Would have thought that even a sporter weight barrel would be good for walking around, not as if you are going to be shooting lots of shots in a short time. Not that I'm implying that you shouldn't get a new rifle, just curious is all.
Nothing wrong with a cz. Just dont work for me. I like to walk and use a bipod to shoot. The little cz always feels uncomfortable. Tried that many different scopes. I have the Zeiss HD5 5-25 ×50 and I really like the scope but is way too big for rifle. I had on order a thumbhole stock and than was going to put a new barrel on it but that will cost $1000 same price as the Steyr. I have an A mcmillan with heavy barrel that I have been walking out shooting with from ute. I shot a fox about 500m from ute after chasing him up and down some small hills than seen another about 300 away. Got him. I had to drag both plus the rifle back to ute. Had arm pump and was rooted. Only just back and seen another where I just was. Went and got him walking back I said I need another rifle. I think the Lithgow or Steyr stocks would suit me as I am so comfortable with the A3.
I am doing a lot of shooting by myself on dairy farms. Iwant the heavy rifle to shoot from ute and a litter one to walk out if I cant get ute close enough.
That trigger on the Steyr is what got me all keen.
But Crackers will tell you I change my mind more ofton than not. Just cant be bothered with things that dont suit like rifles dogs or surfboards. Move them on at considerable costs
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

iv got a nice 204 that would make a good walk about rifle.... oh hang on it use to yours :) :) :)

to the two beside each other and pick the one you like the most
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

crackers17 wrote:iv got a nice 204 that would make a good walk about rifle.... oh hang on it use to yours :) :) :)

to the two beside each other and pick the one you like the most
Yes that is a nice rifle I sold you and only a brother would get it at that Price.
You will have to come for a drive and help me choose between the Steyr and Lithgow
You really need to proof read your post as your grammar and spelling is shit :roll:
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

well it was at 2 AM....
InspiredTim

Post by InspiredTim »

Do you have a link for the write up on the Steyr
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

The father of my son in law bought one in 308, stainless recently. As someone who only shoots match triggers, I would have to say I am impressed with the set trigger, it was crisp, very light for a factory gun, and didn't move the gun on firing due to trigger pull. The gun shoots well, 110 Vmax in front of 46gr of 8208 is very accurate, with no pressure. It also likes 150gr TSX, in front of 46 gr 2208.

If I was buying a new walk around, this brand and model would be high on my list.

Jeff