If you had (shotgun)

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mn1863
.222 Remington

If you had (shotgun)

Post by mn1863 »

Stealing the idea from Missed and having taken his sufficiently off topic. I thought it timely to start one on shotguns. What would you get if you had the choice and money no object?

First preference for me would be a sxs round action, maker to be determined. But second would be a custom Perazzi UO sporter.
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Re: If you had (shotgun)

Post by crackers17 »

Auto A390
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

If you had (shotgun)

Post by trevort »

I'd have a semi auto. I'll never get the beauty thing you guys do. I have a lanber and happy I do. Some jobs you just have to have a scatter gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brahman
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by brahman »

another rem semi auto 1187

other wis would like a berretta 686 gold pidgen do me
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

I'd buy an ak 47 about as accurate as a shot gun or maybe a moss berg sniper rifle accurate as a shotgun as well
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Well I grew up with one of the Belgium Browning A5's, I was never spoilt as a kid but my father knew that every kid deserved a good shotgun. I loved that gun and shot a lot of foxes and ducks with it till it was taken from me :evil: I carried that tradition thru and made sure my oldest boy has a nice shotgun.

Ultimately as I have mentioned on the "other thread" a custom made to measure Perazzi in an U/O competition gun would be it and a bit. A SxS is the preferred choice of weapon for field work, perhaps I am showing my age or I have chosen that particular area to show some maturity (it certainly does not show up anywhere else) :lol: :lol:

I am pretty content with what I have currently though so no regrets in that regard. My SxS I purchased with the some of the proceeds from when I was clearing out my dad's shed, so yeah it has bit of sentimental value attached to it 8)

Not great pics but a couple of phone snaps of the SxS:

Cheers,
Waldo
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I would fly to Italy and visit the Gun Sisters

View their wares and order a matching pair of 12 and 20 gauge SxS
Hand rubbed oil finish not done by me

Oh and a gunbearer
IMG_4116.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG (39.01 KiB) Viewed 788 times
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Can they just supply a gun bearer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

If money was no object, and I could buy whatever shotgun I wanted, or a few of them, I would buy more rifles and reloading gear. Shotguns suck. :D
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

MISSED wrote:I would fly to Italy and visit the Gun Sisters

View their wares and order a matching pair of 12 and 20 gauge SxS
Hand rubbed oil finish not done by me

Oh and a gunbearer
IMG_4116.JPG
Nice
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Well i have a Baikal U/O that I used to try and bag out on Magpie Geese. . . Always used the theory of lead (steel) in the air gives hope.

So i could be just as shit a shot with matching 20, 16, 12 and 10 gauge shotties from the house of Holland and Holland.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Haven't had the exposure to these nice guns to know what would be my ultimate.

But for sentimental reasons I would get a Browning 2000(Belgium semi auto). It was the first new firearm I bought when I was 17. Friends were buying cars and stuff, I bought a gun :D . Had been working and saving for ages.
Started with 1 1/4oz Win Super X loads for rabbits,ducks and clays. :D
If I master the current Miroku 10 I will look at upgrading :wink:

Hope you guys buy some of these guns so I can try them out. :D :mrgreen:

Bruce
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

I blame my like of shotguns on my old man, and in particular his uncle who had a beautiful British sxs game gun. The old man used to talk about it all the time in revered tones and after handling it I could see why, unfortunately it left a definite impression. :P

But after getting licenced I bought a pump gun, which I took up to the Territory and used on magpie geese and pigs until JWH took it and others I had. :twisted: The mossberg, Remington 870 and browning A5 funnily enough worked for me as I shot left handed.

I worked a little at the gunsmiths shop in Darwin, and the old pommy gunsmith who owned it seemed to attract good British doubles out of nowhere. He would rebuild them and they just seemed so lively. I'd never even heard of Anson and Deeley or round actions until then. I bought one he recommended for my old man for his 60th so he could finally get his own British sxs like his uncles, it's nothing flash maker wise.

I still reckon there is nothing better than going for a walk with shotgun and trying to belt bunnies as they bolt out of the tussocks and for which the sxs or UO is perfectly suited, that and ducks. My next favourite use of a shotgun is chasing mobs of pigs across the wheat stubble on the back of the ute and for that fortunately I still get to use a pump or semi auto. Somehow I am a purist with heathen tastes as I would happily have another 870 again too. :lol:

About the only thing I actually understand now, is it's the greatest compliment when a rifle is described as handling like a good shotgun.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Waldo wrote:Well I grew up with one of the Belgium Browning A5's, I was never spoilt as a kid but my father knew that every kid deserved a good shotgun. I loved that gun and shot a lot of foxes and ducks with it till it was taken from me :evil: I carried that tradition thru and made sure my oldest boy has a nice shotgun.

Ultimately as I have mentioned on the "other thread" a custom made to measure Perazzi in an U/O competition gun would be it and a bit. A SxS is the preferred choice of weapon for field work, perhaps I am showing my age or I have chosen that particular area to show some maturity (it certainly does not show up anywhere else) :lol: :lol:

I am pretty content with what I have currently though so no regrets in that regard. My SxS I purchased with the some of the proceeds from when I was clearing out my dad's shed, so yeah it has bit of sentimental value attached to it 8)

Not great pics but a couple of phone snaps of the SxS:

Cheers,
Waldo
that flying duck is on my miroku and is what was the deciding factor for my missus in what shotgun to buy
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Waldo, I haven't seen one of those old floor board jacks in a long, long time, remember using one that my old man owned when I was a kid helping clamp up the Cyprus pine tongue and groove floor boards when we built the extension on our house at Merriwa. One particular thing I remember about them is they bite when you put your fingers in the wrong place. :D