Culling and Combining of Forums

Read here often for site updates and other Site related news.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Culling and Combining of Forums

Post by kjd »

Hi All,

One of the things that may increase activity is doing a cull of rarely used/liked forums or rolling them together.

I am wanting your suggestions as to any forums that we should cull to simplify the outlay of the front page.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: Culling and Combining of Forums

Post by kickinback »

Hi Keith. I no longer visit the forum via a computer. It’s via mobile or tablet using Tapatalk.

I go straight to unread and proceed from there.

Different sections of the forum don’t really affect me as new topics and reply’s come up automatically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

I use a combination of tapatalk and "normal" access.

I think we have a good balance of topic headers - however what are you thinking?

Or are you just interested in what "we" think and hadnt thought too far into it?

Edit to add:
Just had a quick count of AHN there is over 40 topic headings without going into sponsors and distributors, balanced with Oz FClass at 18 topics.

We have 18 as well.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Like Mick762 I use a mix of Tapatalk or conventional PC for reading/replying to posts.

However when starting a new thread/post I generally use the PC as I can at least put it in the right group.

The list of groups/forums we have now is pretty good, even if some of them are rarely used. It gives users the opportunity to ignore the groups they aren't bothered with.

Keith, I suggest we leave it as is for the moment.

minutes later: Just did a quick review. If there was anything that could be consolidated I'd suggest all the sub-forums. Not kill off posts per se, just move the existing posts up to their parent forum.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

The Raven wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm Like Mick762 I use a mix of Tapatalk or conventional PC for reading/replying to posts.

However when starting a new thread/post I generally use the PC as I can at least put it in the right group.

The list of groups/forums we have now is pretty good, even if some of them are rarely used. It gives users the opportunity to ignore the groups they aren't bothered with.

Keith, I suggest we leave it as is for the moment.

minutes later: Just did a quick review. If there was anything that could be consolidated I'd suggest all the sub-forums. Not kill off posts per se, just move the existing posts up to their parent forum.
Raven you can do that in Tapatalk. Select forums and pick the one you want.

I'm probably 80% tapatalk too so I also just scan for new posts
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Hi Trevor,

Yep, I don't want to imply you can't do that with Tapatalk. Noting I generally use it when I'm not near a PC.

I prefer using real keyboards for posts beyond a few lines.