Another road trip.... light freight transport opportunity ....

Read here often for site updates and other Site related news.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Another road trip.... light freight transport opportunity ....

Post by curan »

I have had some good news. I will have new employment as of late September.
It’s a 2-year contract on another 2 on/2 off fifo gig. I am absolutely over the moon. :mrgreen:

I does kill off any chance of me getting to the Missathon though. :(

However, before I start becoming a bit short on time for adventures, I’m jamming one in.
So I am planning another driving trip. The timing is fairly fixed, unfortunately, as it fits around catching up with an old mate in Queensland who has mesothelioma, and I’m fitting it in between chemo (at his request).
Mind you, if there is anyone along my route that wants to say g’day, I’d be glad to meet you for an hour and either a coffee or a beer or two….

My intention is to drive from home (south of Pt Broughton in SA) to Broken Hill, then swag it at Little Topar.
Then take the shortcut (Louth) to Bourke and continue to Walgett to swag it again.
Through Moree and Stanthorpe to Springbrook. Swag it.
Next day I’ll catch ol’ mate on the Gold Coast, then head for a little shoot at Ripley rifle range for the weekend. It’s a camping weekend with a bunch of very social lever action blokes, so that’ll be fine.
After that, I’ll take a few days to drive west to Innaminka, then 2 days to get home down the Strez.
This is all fairly flexible, but pretty close. The route is based on going to places I haven’t been before but wanted to see, or places I remember fondly. No further science to it than that.

Mind you, this also gives me the opportunity to cart a bit of “light freight” (powder/primers/etc) so if anyone needs anything carted from A to B along the route, let me know. Broken Hill to Bourke, Toowoomba to Cunnamulla, you get the idea.

I intend to leave on 05/09/2017 and see ol’ mate on the 8th, so that gives an idea of the timing.

Cheers, curan
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: Another road trip.... light freight transport opportunity ....

Post by kickinback »

curan wrote: The route is based on going to places I haven’t been before but wanted to see, or places I remember fondly. No further science to it than that.

Just pasted this part into my notes as a reminder for my future travels. I tend to be a little too intent on the destination rather than what's on the way.

Best of luck on the new job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Happy for you Wayne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

Great news on the job.
Sounds like it will be a great road trip also.

Tim

LesterG
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by LesterG »

Timmo8r4 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 pm Great news on the job.
Sounds like it will be a great road trip also.

Tim
I hope you had a good time on your road trip!
Last edited by LesterG on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

pity you didnt have more time mate,im not much further north from cunnamulla [more easterly though]
its about 4 hrs west of rocky to this place.3/4 hr west of emerald.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

LesterG wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 pm I hope you had a good time on your road trip!
I certainly did! On the way up, I thoroughly enjoyed the road through Tilpa to Bourke. 300 odd Ks of dirt, and no rush to do it in. Tilpa is a cracker of an outback pub, too.
LoneRider wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm pity you didnt have more time mate,im not much further north from cunnamulla [more easterly though]
its about 4 hrs west of rocky to this place.3/4 hr west of emerald.
As it was, there was rain predicted in the Innaminka area, so I never got near Cunnamulla. I changed tack and spent a couple of days wandering around the New England area. First time in that area, and enjoyed it. Loved Killarney and Coonabarrabran. I went through the Kaputa forest area. Mixed up swagging it off the side of the road with a night in the pub here and there. Mind you, if I got up with you and your white lightning, it could have been a much longer trip home! :wink:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

trevort wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm Happy for you Wayne!

I'm loving the new job Trev. Up on the WA coast up past Exmouth. Long hours, hot Pilbara weather, but good work, good workmates and good pay.

I'll happily stick this out for a while. 8)