Wollongong gun shop owner Shane Simpson admits selling weapons to underworld figures

A Place To Discuss & Debate The Latest Firearm Issues. Please Try To Keep It Clean & On Topic.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Wollongong gun shop owner Shane Simpson admits selling weapons to underworld figures

Post by The Raven »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-15/ ... l/11870872

A NSW South Coast gun shop owner who masterminded an illegal interstate firearms racket has pleaded guilty to supplying hundreds of guns over a six-year period.

Wollongong gun shop owner Shane Simpson illegally supplied 279 firearms, including Glocks and Desert Eagles, to multiple people including underworld figures between 2013 and 2019.

====
While I wouldn't call it a loop hole, six years is a long time to get away with doing dodgy interstate transfers.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Wollongong gun shop owner Shane Simpson admits selling weapons to underworld figures

Post by kjd »

Bloody hell.
I know Shane, we spoke semi-regularly and he had helped me out a lot over the years. I had no clue he was into this sort of shit and it is hugely disappointing to find it out. I hope his family is OK.

I have no doubt he was pushed into it like he claimed. To me he was just a shooter that started his shop and loved his hunting and shooting, I guess he just got caught up with the wrong people and I can imagine once you say yes to that they don’t exactly let you say no.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Re: Wollongong gun shop owner Shane Simpson admits selling weapons to underworld figures

Post by Rabbitz »

He was sentenced yesterday.

13 years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-13/ ... s/12450818
Cammo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 Hornet

Post by Cammo »

Yeah Keith
The first time I met you was at Shane's shop and he was always helpful and as you said just loved the sport. It is a shame he took the path he did and will now pay the price and his family will be without a husband, dad and son.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

That explains why i got asked some questions about transfers by NSW cops a while ago.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

At the end of the day, he is a criminal.
Nice bloke or not.
Cammo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 Hornet

Post by Cammo »

Yep, done it how many times ??? but only need to get caught once.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Cammo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 am Yeah Keith
The first time I met you was at Shane's shop and he was always helpful and as you said just loved the sport. It is a shame he took the path he did and will now pay the price and his family will be without a husband, dad and son.
Yep that’s right mate, I am at a loss for words. I do worry for his family.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

mick_762 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 pm At the end of the day, he is a criminal.
Nice bloke or not.
He is a criminal. According to the reports he did it because his family was threatened if he didn’t do it and he was relieved when he was caught.

If that is actually the case then that’s pretty sad and hard to knock the bloke. Which one of us wouldn’t do anything to keep our family safe?

I dunno. Either way I’m gutted. I had all the time in the world for Shane, he only ever did right by me and bent over backwards to help me over the years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-18/ ... y/12367940
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

6 years without going for help? Judge didn’t buy it. I’m not buying it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

trevort wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 am 6 years without going for help? Judge didn’t buy it. I’m not buying it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who knows mate. We’ll likely never know the full story.