Concerning Media Release from NSW FAR

A Place To Discuss & Debate The Latest Firearm Issues. Please Try To Keep It Clean & On Topic.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Concerning Media Release from NSW FAR

Post by Camel »

Have a read and tell us what you think about this

https://storage.pardot.com/533512/13770 ... _hands.PDF
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: Concerning Media Release from NSW FAR

Post by macca »

Interesting. On the surface a laudible effort to catch the people who shouldn't hold licenses.
Underneath another crackdown on storage and compliance.
Time to buy another rifle. Every time they do something like this my protest is to acquire another firearm.
Cheers
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Yep nothing like going after the soft and easy targets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
chappo555
.220 Swift

Post by chappo555 »

The last point has me worried. I was told during my last inspection that i am a "high risk" licence holder despite 30 plus years of legal and safe firearms ownership.

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Come on Greg, you know as well as I do that we are all mass murderers in waiting.
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

I must have missed anything about drive by shootings , criminals with guns & all that sort of thing. Nope just the normal law abiding citizens & maybe having a snake gun not in the safe storage compartment . Oh well I won't print it off. Not worthy of toilet paper.
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

Revised standard operating procedures and training for risk-based firearms safe storage inspections.

What does that even mean?

Bill
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Heard from a little birdie today, if you live in NSW and need to take off your shoes and socks to count your firearms and run out of digits, you will be having a safe inspection soon.(ie expect a phone call)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

DSD wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:33 pm Heard from a little birdie today, if you live in NSW and need to take off your shoes and socks to count your firearms and run out of digits, you will be having a safe inspection soon.(ie expect a phone call)

What's the rule 20 plus and you have to have alarms or something. My minds gone blank, I will have to Google it. Guess I better tidy up the gun room .
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

macca wrote:
DSD wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:33 pm Heard from a little birdie today, if you live in NSW and need to take off your shoes and socks to count your firearms and run out of digits, you will be having a safe inspection soon.(ie expect a phone call)

What's the rule 20 plus and you have to have alarms or something. My minds gone blank, I will have to Google it. Guess I better tidy up the gun room .
From what i was told today,No, currently no rule for long arms but it has been tabled for discussion.
1 of the points tabled is that a club armourer/dealer has much stricter rules for maybe 5 firearms compared to a personal license were you may have over 200 and still only level 1(cat A,B) storage requirements. It may come in that 20+ firearms storage requirements come more into line with those of an armourer.
This is not yet fact only discussion.

chappo555
.220 Swift

Post by chappo555 »

DSD wrote:Heard from a little birdie today, if you live in NSW and need to take off your shoes and socks to count your firearms and run out of digits, you will be having a safe inspection soon.(ie expect a phone call)

Expect a phone call unless you live in the Wagga area as phone calls are not used here they just rock up unannounced and expect to be let in. Funny how they dont like being told to "fuck off and give me a ring!"

10 or more longarms, 3 or more pistols and big calibre stuff is there alleged "high risk" bullshit at the moment.

.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

chappo555 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 pm
10 or more longarms, 3 or more pistols and big calibre stuff is there alleged "high risk" bullshit at the moment.

Pistols have been for a while, last few renewals have been put on hold until after we have supplied a P??? what ever the form issued by police for a safe storage inspection is to FAR.
Might have something to do with the number and number of longarms as well but got told we need the paperwork for a inspection issued within the last 24 months.
Great as wife and my renewals are about 2.5 years apart, need a inspection every time.
Actual police have been pretty good, give the local station a call and have managed to organise someone within a few hours each time so far.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Another rumour about firearms within the shooting community... what a shock..
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

kjd wrote:Another rumour about firearms within the shooting community... what a shock..
Y because you do not know about it?
Funny how 2 of us that fall within the specified category have already had police turn up for inspections and get told similar stories independent of each other.
I guess those left that meet the requirements will know if it is a rumour or not soon enough.