Rifle Position on the Front Rest

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Rifle Position on the Front Rest

Post by Rabbitz »

Greetings Gurus,

Due to circumstances beyond my control, for the foreseeable future I will not be able to shoot rimfire "off the elbows". After several months of zero trigger time I have put the Annie back into it's wooden stock, stuck a scope on it's rails and dug out the rest and bags.

When doing this on previous occasions I used to set up the stock stop on the rest, butt the stock up to it and away I'd go.

This time, as I need to be a little more serious, I have fitted a Sinclair for-end rail adapter. This has got me thinking that there will probably be some folklore, theories and maybe even some practical advice regarding where one plonks the rifle onto the the front rest.

Is it just 'suck it and see' or is there some science (or pseudo-science) to this location?
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Re: Rifle Position on the Front Rest

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Most B/R shooters and "F" Class shooters have about 75mm. of fore end past the front edge of the bag.
Cheers,
Trevor.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Thanks Trev.

That's about where I put the adapter.

It turns out I have a few other kinks to work out first :)
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day All,
i once owned a Hall BR rifle that when set up for sporterclass 8lb 13oz instead of the usual 10.5lb it wouldn't shoot in the usual position. I found I had to set it with about 6" overhang and it shot brilliantly. I used a piece of masking tape to indicate where the rear edge of the sand bag should be for every shot. Yellow/Red electrical tape would also work a bit better visually.
Hope this helps.
Cheerio Ned
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Thanks [mention]Ned Kelly[/mention] .

Looks like some experimentation is required. :) I'd better buy some more ammo. :lol: :lol:

Given the 1813 butt stock is asymmetrical, I am wondering if it is worth looking at a BR style stock.

Do you do one for the 54 action?
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day Rabbitz,
sorry no I haven't had any small bore rifles across my work bench. Haven't had much call for RF competition stocks.
However if there are any Victorians out there with the same model I could borrow it to measure and draw a CAD inlet please pm me to discuss options. I'm sure we could work out something.
Hope this helps.
Regards Ned
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Thanks Ned,

I wish we still had the 3D scanner at work, that would've been a constructive use. :lol: