Rimfire scopes

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Con
.308 Winchester

Rimfire scopes

Post by Con »

Interested in what scopes are being used for rimfire competition. Predominantly benchrest and the Fly events. I ass-u-me things like the straight 36x -45x scopes dominate these events???
Cheers...
Con
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Re: Rimfire scopes

Post by chappo555 »

Hi Con. Depends on which discipline. In short range BR, IRB, br30 etc weight can be an issue and as the range is either 50 or 100 then its the domain of the light straight power T36, leupold 45x etc. in fly where weight limit is 17lbs and range is 200 then its the nightforce BR or competition series mainly, but a few March, sightron etc as well. Just my observations but i have been out of short range RF for a long time.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Ta for the reply.

The TX1 will be used on my place for 'long range' rimfire play. Re-setting up my 'range' to allow shots to 200yards. :D

I was interested in what scopes the serious players are using at extended ranges. I'm tempted to try a big fixed power, but over summer mirage would make it impossible.

Got a feeling I may end up with something in the 6.5-24x range.
Cheers...
Con
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Make sure it has the MOA adjustments needed to get to 200. With my falcon rimfire i could only get a 14MOA rail. I still couldnt get a 200 zero with a Nightforce BR but could with a competition series.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Just got a 25moa rail for my T1x. Came from delta tactical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Moving the mount forwards or backwards but keeping the scope in the same position can make a difference to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

kickinback wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:03 am Just got a 25moa rail for my T1x. Came from delta tactical.
Your impressions of the rail? I believe they slip onto the dovetails and then screw to clamp in place?
Cheers...
Con
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Gooday Con. We don't see you here that often these days.

Anyway rails aside, the Burris Signature line of rings are available for 11mm or 3/8" rimfire dovetail. Protects the scope tube and has the posi-align inserts from 0, 5, 10 and 20 thou offset, which at a 100 yards represent MOA. A bit of cross matching and you can do from plus or minus 30 MOA in 5 MOA increments of elevation, windage or somewhere inbetween. The scope can be opti centered and set in bore line with little difficulty to minimize any optical aberation when or if wound across too far, a symptom my March 10x60 had very badly at anything beyond 500 meters which is less than half the elevation needed to get a rimfire to 200 meters. As did the Sighton. A lot of shooters in long range have used these for years and for good reason. That being you can get the right insert to make certain you could get to 1K and back to a 100 yards if need be. Some scope and rail combinations often did not allow this. For example, my HG of old in the mid 90s was great at 1K, but was 5 inches high at 200 yards bottomed out with the 20 MOA rail and NF 12-42. Really not a good outcome for one main reason, scopes, somewhat older and well used, a lot of them when wound out on spring tension, sometimes shift or do not hold zero. More common than you think. Leupold 36s in my experience without the Siebert spring conversion were a problem if you wound right out to get minimum elevation.

The reason i used Signature rings right from the onset is they self center, illiminating the need to lap rings, which really only served you well if the scope tube was perfect, which few are, especially if they are not one piece.
A few places around like Horseley Park do or did stock these rings but i always got mine from theriflescopestore.com
He had the best prices by far as well as reasonable shipping. Midway is on ebay.au now and they also stock them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15484 ... and-airgun

If you do go this way i have a number of offset inserts i have collected or made over the last 20 years or so (delrin and very easy to make) in various offsets from 5 to 40 MOA for the one inch tube that you can have. I have some 30mm offset inserts (no longer made past 10 MOA) floating around as well. My experience with these rings is they do come with a couple of sets.
If you are familiar with Optiloc rings, and I'm sure you are, these are the original concept. Except Burris makes them far cheaper.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Con wrote:
kickinback wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:03 am Just got a 25moa rail for my T1x. Came from delta tactical.
Your impressions of the rail? I believe they slip onto the dovetails and then screw to clamp in place?
Cheers...
Con

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro