PRS trends have drastically altered.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

PRS trends have drastically altered.

Post by Tony Z »

This is of interest to those who watch the PRS and NRL. It is no surprise the 6BR family is going to dominate these leagues with the likelyhood that both the Creedmoor and Lapua 6.5x47 derivatives will die out just as they did in 1K and 600 yard competition. With time i can see the new Norma Dasher case making some real inroads here or maybe Lapua should make a version with the same longer neck.

The other data is just as glaring with Manners stocks heading for the exit door and chassis systems overtaking the stock choices.
PRS and NRL are fast becoming the graveyard of name brands and marketing hype. Good to see.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/ ... e-caliber/

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: PRS trends have drastically altered.

Post by macca »

Always interesting to see the trends as people look for the winning edge. Night Force passed Vortex for top scope spot.
Nice to see realistic velocity next to the dasher creedmor ext.
Cheers
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by lee_enfield223 »

you make some good points as per caliber and stocks, as to the chassis systems ?, well it's easy to see why, simply add on's , just look at the barricade stops/rests ,hand stops, etc, and the leading chassis, well it's not hard to find the winner( masterpiece arms ) I was thinking about buying one, except one thing turned me off, our stupid gun laws and looking like a semiauto, so I went with a stock. plus every man and his cat wants a chassis !!!
I am seeing lots of 6.5 Creedmoors and I have two of them, but the hotshot 6mm's do have a slight edge. but less barrel life to go with it, it seems everything has a trade off. :mrgreen:
Almost forgot ! I have used a chassis and I found that during a rapid fire I was slightly slower, simply because I was always trying to wrap my hand around the pistol grip, where as when using my manners EH1 stock ( as seen in this picture) I don't fully grip the pistol grip area.
Attachments
manners tikka.jpg
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Lee it was always going to happen. Manners early in the piece made stocks that had no alloy chassis cast in. Then it was off to the smith so the million dollar stock could get a further half a millions worth of pillar bedding done. Not too long back Manners came out with a "mini chassis" composite stock, like HS and others have done like forever. Too late and way too expensive and way way too long a lead time.
Chassis stocks are spat out on a chisel n chainsaw quicker than the chimpanzee can load the machine and press the start button. Chassis stocks are bolt in action and forget, are seriously dyke ugly, like Ros Ward type butt ugly comes to mind, but are virtually maintenance free and maintain zero. Composite stocks are comparatively slow to make and the chimp making it needs more than two brain cells, but still do not warrant the sell your kidney on ebay price tag.

If you follow the blogs it's getting to the stage that the scope and action are the only keepers where everything else, including cartridge choice, is disposable.

As for barrel life, the likes of the BR, BRA, BRDX etc have probably triple the barrel life of a 6x47, 6xCreed or 6.5x47 etc. A Dasher is not so good but with the full length neck case on offer from Norma, that will open the door to more usage and a longer throat life. A stock BR can be Fclass competitive to 5K rounds. On steel plate it would go more. I corresponded with Larry Bartholame, US Fclass team organiser and member some years ago and he claimed his Krieger 6 BR barrel was 8 K rounds and still doing well. That was on the ealier ICFRA targets that were larger than current targets. But either way that is exceptional barrel life.
Barrel life, less recoil and less barrel heat (heat mirage affecting scope image) are major factors in this swing. This was inevitable in my view. It may change, but i somewhat doubt that. This is about hitting plate, not knocking it over.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

well you have me thinking whats a 6mm bra ??? I looked it up and agree barrel life would be better based on case capacity alone, but look at the sharp shoulder on some of those cases, I have seen special magazine followers and spacer blocks for sale on line ,just to make them feed. what are your thoughts on this ??
Just look at the pictures in the link.

https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/6-bra
download.jpg
download.jpg (9.72 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

The thing they usually leave out of the lists like that is how many of them pay for their scopes? A list of what the top shooters use isn't useful if 50% of them are sponsored and they don't have to pay for them. All it means is the companies that had out more product get to sit on the top of those lists. I know the shooters wouldn't use them if they weren't good and that most of the top guys would still be there with any scope but its still doesn't tell us anything useful.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

yes some are sponsored, what I have noticed is that because of our small market there's not much sponsorship here in Australia. and clubs have troubles finding shops willing to supply prizes ect , but I have seen some good efforts from time to time, and I know it's appreciated. and about the only two teams shooting in prs or similar matches that get some sponsorship seem to be , delta tactical, and APRS in south australia that I know of, but I am sure that there may be more.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 pm Lee it was always going to happen. Manners early in the piece made stocks that had no alloy chassis cast in. Then it was off to the smith so the million dollar stock could get a further half a millions worth of pillar bedding done. Not too long back Manners came out with a "mini chassis" composite stock, like HS and others have done like forever. Too late and way too expensive and way way too long a lead time.
Chassis stocks are spat out on a chisel n chainsaw quicker than the chimpanzee can load the machine and press the start button. Chassis stocks are bolt in action and forget, are seriously dyke ugly, like Ros Ward type butt ugly comes to mind, but are virtually maintenance free and maintain zero. Composite stocks are comparatively slow to make and the chimp making it needs more than two brain cells, but still do not warrant the sell your kidney on ebay price tag.
So, what stock do you recommend we should buy Tony?

Glenn
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

No idea Glenn. Looking at trends it's anyone's guess what will be fashionable next week. Personally i like the look of Lee"s stock. The chassis just don't do it for me in looks or handling. I reckon a lot of this is sheep syndrome and it would be best to go with what suites. The blogs may say what the winner used, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have won with something else. That could also be said of cartridge choice.
My set up currently is Deviant action in a HS stock. Scope is 5x25 HD5. 6x47 Lap with 105 Bergers. Harris bipod. Nothing except the action is "trending", but it shoots and handles very well.

On that note, the club has banned PRS matches after one match i was told this morning. It seems there are regulation issues with firearms branch.
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

I am not a fan of a chassis either!

I'm still a fan of wood.
I do have a few of those expensive McMillan a Manner stocks but what else do we do?

I cannot use a HS stock!
My set up currently is Deviant action in a HS stock. Scope is 5x25 HD5. 6x47 Lap with 105 Bergers. Harris bipod.
YOUR using a 6x47 Lapua????????
From ALL your previous posts I was under the impression that case woefully inaccurate?

Glenn
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Glenn wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:33 pm
YOUR using a 6x47 Lapua????????
From ALL your previous posts I was under the impression that case woefully inaccurate?

I think you will find he was referring to use for long range BR not plinking 😂
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Hi Tony , just some information reg PRS matches, here in Sydney the only place you can shoot them as far as I know is at the ssaa silverdale range ,and then only in 22lr and the steel targets must be enclosed in wood boxes. to prevent the projectiles flying off elsewhere.
22 prs is pretty big in SA but the only place I know of in NSW for centrefire is near mudgee at the windamere range. (did I spell that right ??) :(
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Glenn you are dead right. I loathe the 6x47 Lap with a passion. But i have all the bullets cases and barrels from the days i tried to make it happen.
As a varmint cartridge it is bloody awesome. Not 6BR type accurate, but dead crow at 400 accurate. For PRS plenty good enough and better than i can hold.

With regard to wood/laminate stocks. The cycle of wood laminate, composite and alloy was done over some years in IBS long range. There is a thought that wood/ laminate has a deadening effect beneficial to accuracy. Short range BR stocks like Scoville and clones etc are Cedar/Balsa skeletons covered with carbon fibre and are the go to stocks these days. The wood resonates or deadens, who knows for sure, and the fibre has great rigidity. So if the worm continues to turn we may well see wood in PRS stocks at some really ridiculous prices in the future.

The point Seddo made is more valid than we think. Sponsored shooters can and will shoot with what is financially advantageous to them and the sponsor. What this does is sells gear, demand creates price gouging. Some of the stocks in particular are way over priced and i don't care what its made from, there is no Bushnell scope made that dollar for dollar is optically or mechanically as good as a S&B, Khales or Nightforce.

To my comment before. I have been informed that "PRS" will never be shot at SSAA Herveys Range. Queensland police for whatever reason, never want to see PRS shot in this state. That was passed on to me by one of the organizers after discussion with the club president. Make of that what we can. Either way there are morons walking amongst us. It will have to be called something other than PRS. That makes sense.

This reminds me of a Cheech and Chong skit done many years ago.
"Looks like dog shit. Feels like dog shit. Smells like dog shit. Tastes like dog shit. Lucky we didn't step in it".
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

Glenn you are dead right. I loathe the 6x47 Lap with a passion. But i have all the bullets cases and barrels from the days i tried to make it happen.
As a varmint cartridge it is bloody awesome. Not 6BR type accurate, but dead crow at 400 accurate. For PRS plenty good enough and better than i can hold.
As a varmint cartridge it is bloody awesome.
Thank you!

I have only ever run 67gr Copperheads out of mine with exceptional results!
Flat and fast is what makes a varmint gun and the 6x47Lap has dose exactly that for me.

As for stocks, I think I will just use pillar bedded walnut stocks!

Yeah Sponsored shooters certainly have made equipment lists of who gives the most stuff.

Ah yes, the powers that be have all of a sudden decided that "PRS" will NEVER be shot in Queensland again???
Big statement, but why?
What is the issue?
We all know it has nothing to do with "safety"

Glenn
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

Probably the same reason they don't want air soft in Australia either. Don't want the population training themselves.