Global Benchrest Association

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Global Benchrest Association

Post by dg »

Global Benchrest Association (GBA)
As some might be aware, in recent weeks there has been a great deal of activity in the USA, in regards to the establishment of a new democratic Short Range and Long range Benchrest Association. (The GBA)

https://globalbenchrest.com/

The GBA is the 1st American BR Organisation to invite and include International clubs/members with a full affiliation and membership.

(Given the past and present and possibly future state of our gun law legislation, this genuine relationship and recognition by the GBA of Australian LRBR for NRAA clubs and members, is without doubt an invaluable and positive improvement on our existing and extremely doubtful International affiliation situation)

In the past, although the IBS have been very supportive of Australian 600/1000yd BR clubs and members, it has primarily been through the efforts of the Virginia 1000yd BR Club, that we were allowed to establish and have our postal matches recognised and published on the Virginia website.

http://www.virginia1000.com/aussie.page.htm

While this was a unique arrangement for us (we were the only non American clubs/competitors to receive this approval and recognition) it needs to be understood that this arrangement was not a full and complete affiliation with equal status to the American IBS clubs.

The GBA offers International clubs full membership and parity to all of the participating American clubs/members.

Jeff Green (president of the Virginia 1000yd BR club and chairman of the GBA) has advised the following key points of interest for Australian competitors.

Special Rules for International Clubs
• For the purpose of determining GBA records and recognizing the difficulty of shipping targets internationally for measurement verification, the scoring and measurement of all International Club Targets will be determined and verified by the local clubs or other designated official.

• Membership fee amounts to be paid by individuals and clubs, and the amount of match fees will be determined by the International Clubs. Because of the cost to transfer funds internationally, these funds will be retained in-country. The International Clubs will then be responsible for the cost of creating GBA Awards that are earned by its shooters.

• Appeals arising in International tournaments will be resolved per host-country procedures.
Targets.
• Special Target Rules for International Clubs
o Because of the high cost of obtaining 1000-yard targets, International Clubs (non-U.S.) may reuse targets by pasting previous bullet holes.

o International Clubs (non-U.S.) may use electronic targets for 1000-yard competitions, except that records will only be recognized when paper targets are used because the level of accuracy of electronic targets is not sufficient to assure measurement precision.

o International Clubs (non-U.S.) may use electronic targets for 600-yard competitions, except that records will only be recognized when paper targets are used because the level of accuracy of electronic targets is not sufficient to assure measurement precision.

• Participating Australian clubs will continue to promote and run their LRBR matches in manner to suit their own match conditions and procedures.

• Similar to the IBS, NBRSA and Williamsport Organisations, only the results achieved by competitors using ‘blind shooting’ procedures for the record target maybe submitted to the GBA.

• There will be no change to the existing LG / HG rifle weights/specifications or the LRBR 600 / 1000yd BR sighting target/record target rules we all presently follow.

• Our results will be compared, included and compiled equally with those achieved by the Americans.(this includes for monthly and annual aggregates etc)

• Our match results will be posted and displayed on the GBA website.

• Provided we shoot blind on paper targets, for the 1st time, our results will recognised officially, if any records are achieved, for both 600 and 1000yd BR

• The goal of the GBA is to advance International participation in LRBR.

• International clubs/members receive free membership to the GBA.

• Our existing relationship with the NRAA is not affected in any way.

• The only slight change for us is that instead of our results being sent to the Virginia 1000yd BR club for inclusion in the International Postal Matches.

Our 600/1000 yd BR results will now be sent to the GBA for inclusion and comparison on their website.

• Australian range and competitor fees continue to go to our individual clubs and can be allocated and used without any change to the present arrangements.

• The only minor once only cost to Australian competitors will be the purchase of a GBA membership card. Depending on the quantity ordered from vista print the membership cards should cost approximately $2 - $5 each.

Later this week, all participating American Clubs will be involved in the first GBA board meeting. Following this meeting the GBA Rules will be ratified and posted on their website.

Note again - the domestic American match organisation rules and procedures are not applicable to Australian clubs and members.

Cheers
Dave Goodridge
Last edited by dg on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Global Benchrest Association

Post by trevort »

So bringing together sr and lr br?

In Oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

hey trev

I have no idea what might or might not eventuate out here for SR BR.

from a LRBR perspective, others might disagree, but in my opinion what the americans have done for us in regard to establishing and regulating the GBA is the greatest and most positive initiative that has happened in the history of Australian 1000yd BR.

people who know the background of Australian 1000yd BR and understand our previous relationship with the americans, will surely appreciate the significance of us now being to use ET'S, 2nd hand targets (in good condition),full and equal international recognition and affiliation, we do not have to change our present procedures and most importantly that they are granting us either as clubs or individuals, free entry and membership.

I would be most interested if anybody can point out any negative in the GBA for us!!!!!

in America, yes there is dissatisfaction in the existing 1000/600 and SRBR clubs and the GBA has already been approached by these clubs to join.

cheers
dave
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

trevort wrote:So bringing together sr and lr br?

In Oz?

Not seeing it Trev ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

I don't see any hidden agendas in their wording.
I think it would be positive step in long range bench rest. To be actually recognised internationally is a big thing.
I am in favour of it.
Everyone can read, think and make their own call.
Cheers
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Macca I can’t see any negatives for the serious lrbr shooters never mind the once a year clowns like me.

I just saw srbr in the subject line and had an internal chuckle thinking of the SSAA merging with the NRAA to be global benchrest

macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

trevort wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am Macca I can’t see any negatives for the serious lrbr shooters never mind the once a year clowns like me.

I just saw srbr in the subject line and had an internal chuckle thinking of the SSAA merging with the NRAA to be global benchrest

Definitely belly laugh material. Both organization guard their interests like a dog with a bone.
Cheers
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

There is no merger, control or change about this. It is about recognition of clubs that shoot BR in one form or another.
For example if you shoot 1K at say Narromine, you shoot a sub inch blind LG group. It may be smaller than any group shot anywhere in the world, but it is not recognized by anyone. But under the affiliation of the GBA as long as it is shot under the rules, on paper as a physical target, the group is recognized. ETs i doubt will ever get recognized as more than a mention, as they should.
Now this may not sound like a big deal for some, but for others it is. In my case of 2012, if i recall right, my 6 match agg for both score and group in LG would have been right up there for SOTY in IBS. The 10 match was up there as well.

As far as SR BR goes, this won't even register a blip which is good. The NRAA has 1K and 600, so bringing SR BR coupled with the SSAA into the fray is part of the problem, like in the US, and not part of the solution.

It will be interesting where this will end up, but if there is enough dissent, and there is a lot of it, the GBA could become the dominant sanction. For LR BR anyway. Pennsylvania will always be the home of 1K and it will never submit. Lose members yes, but never submit. If the big names like Hawkes Ridge, Virginia and Missoula etc opt in, the end is near.
The rules are so evolved now that all bases are covered with current tecnology. So providing sensible rules are enshrined, i can see lots of clubs opting in.
This is a no brainer really. Just adopt the Nationals rules, where all three sanctions agreed on some years back, and you have a winner. Nothing or no one (rifle) is excluded.