These couple of beginners..............

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

..............are making this 1000 yard stuff look easy :wink: :

"BS Benchrest Championship. And this was 12 year old Hunter’s first-ever benchrest match (and the first time he had even shot at 1000 yards)! The young man took the LG group title in spectacular fashion, with some great shooting. In fact, Hunter won his first-ever 1000-yard relay with a 4.312-inch group and a perfect 50 score!"

"Shooting a .308 Win factory Savage rifle, a novice benchrest shooter set two new 1000-Yard UK Factory Sporter Class records with a group barely over three inches (3.09") plus a 6.756″ four-group Aggregate. The Savage had been upgraded with an inexpensive aftermarket stock and Timney trigger, but was otherwise “as manufactured” — with factory barrel."

As well he describes his ammo as “nothing special".

I know, I know, only five shots, lucky with the breeze etc etc...................but still :D
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Re: These couple of beginners..............

Post by Rabbitz »

In their book, The Psychology of Marksmanship, a Guide to Becoming a Master, Edward Leong and George Korbula postulate that shooting is a very simple task - line the foresight up with the rear sight, line both of those up with the target and gently squeeze the trigger. (They were Service Rifle Competitors).

Further, they wonder why beginners often excel in early shoots. They theorise that it is because they don't know any better.

Conversely, experienced shooters often go into form slumps because we take a simple act and then think too much about it.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Rabbitz wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 pm In their book, The Psychology of Marksmanship, a Guide to Becoming a Master, Edward Leong and George Korbula postulate that shooting is a very simple task - line the foresight up with the rear sight, line both of those up with the target and gently squeeze the trigger. (They were Service Rifle Competitors).

Further, they wonder why beginners often excel in early shoots. They theorise that it is because they don't know any better.

Conversely, experienced shooters often go into form slumps because we take a simple act and then think too much about it.
Thinking too much about is why so many beginners excel. They don't know any better.

You see that with various racers (pick any type). Some newbies just ace it every time, later they tend to screw up because they are thinking too much.

An example from my (misspent) youth. I managed to pull off an amazing driving feat once only because I knew no better. With experience I realised it was more "ass than class" that I survived it. Was never able to repeat that, despite trying, in the exact same circumstances. (Details omitted to protect to guilty).
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Don't forget the blind squirrel syndrome either. This may be the only small group he ever shoots. I remember putting 5 into about 5/8 inch once testing my .270 with JR at 500m one day. Never came near it again in a comp, no matter how hard I tried.

Ask Jack Saligari about letting Woolie shoot his HG one comp, and a new Aus day agg record with it, first time out.

Jeff
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

The Scottish chap doesn't have to do it again, it's a national record :wink:

Am I seeing things or are the benches staggered, putting each shooter in front of the other ?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ry-savage/
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

frakka wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:00 pm The Scottish chap doesn't have to do it again, it's a national record :wink:

Am I seeing things or are the benches staggered, putting each shooter in front of the other ?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ry-savage/
Angles benches or perhaps the walls/roof aren't squared to suit the lay of the land/foundations. Would still keep everyone at the same range assuming targets are laid out accordingly.

Wonder how those drums work, it may keep the blast down for the bench next to you but it probably reverberates a bit.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Love to seen them at little river today. Iots of head scratching wondering where bullets went, but since it was a registered match I scored my first fly patch in this incarnation of comp shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

trevort wrote:Love to seen them at little river today. Iots of head scratching wondering where bullets went, but since it was a registered match I scored my first fly patch in this incarnation of comp shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of head scratching all round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro