Front Bags

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Front Bags

Post by trevort »

Raven the discussion is about front bags on a benchrest. Benchresters are well known for their penchant for rubbing their forend ( not Doreen) on abrasive materials and then trying to get some in their tight tolerance actions but perhaps we can convince them to save the weevil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

OK got it now! Doreen...
Target
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by Target »

As Tony said, firm packed is good - a good stock design wont bounce on a hard bag. Remember that after you fill it the first time, you will need to go back and re-fill after half a dozen range sessions as the sand will settle and the bag stretch a bit.
As for type of sand, beach sand is too coarse, sand blasting sand is the best, but if you must, dune sand or brickies sand (being much finer) is a good compromise - thats whats in my front and rear bags and they work well ( I live near the beach and dug my sand out of the back yard 8) ).
If you have the protector bags, the leather nags respond well to being slicked up with talc, and the cordura bags work OK clean, but using a bit of silicon spray really makes them slide about perfectly. I re spray every two or three weeks and it keeps it nice and slick, but I also shoot a fair few rounds ever week at the moment.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

The Raven wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 pm I can’t make out Trev’s reply other than the implication that getting sand etc out of the bag and into the rifle is fairly slim.

Noting most bags are pretty well sealed these days I could see a small possibility/eventuality of some grit (Whatever) leaking. If you use a range bag etc then some could be transferred closer to the action than I’d like.

Perhaps me being somewhat risk averse thinking the idea of using an abrasive near machined parts... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More chance of dust blowing in me thinks. Granite dust is abrasive enough. :D
Never had a bag break but I do replace them occasionally.
Treat mine the same as Target said in his post but mine filled with blasting sand/media.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Garnett is pretty much everywhere. Get the pre-used grit from either a sandblaster or water jet operation. Smashed garnett is dust that can leak out of the stitching.
Zircon can be sourced from anyone doing ceramic pottery or from a supplier of such. Beach sand, unless sifted into something beyond 20 mesh also makes it out through the stitching. Rice is for dinner Raven but i like your train of thought if one was a prepper :mrgreen:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Whatever you use, don’t try dries dog kibble, they absorb moisture and go rotten and become quite smelly
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Camel wrote:Whatever you use, don’t try dries dog kibble, they absorb moisture and go rotten and become quite smelly Image
But the cheaper stuff would also swell and really fill out the bag and make it harder wouldn't they?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Something wrong with the title of this thread.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

MISSED wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:15 pm Something wrong with the title of this thread.
Agreed! No one has suggested silicone yet.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

MISSED wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:15 pm Something wrong with the title of this thread.
Should I edit it to say "Fun" instead?