Front Bags

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Front Bags

Post by Rabbitz »

I've just taken delivery of a brand spanking new Protektor front bag to go on my Caldwell rest. I have been using the narrow bag that came with the rest for more than a decade.

Since I have been playing around with a plate under the fore-end it doesn't fit anymore, thus the new bag.

Every time I pump up the new bag it simply won't hold any air. Is there a trick to making it airtight?

Just kidding, :lol: What I really want to know is how hard I should pack it with sand? Rock hard? Still pliable, or is this another BR secret that only comes with years of intricate experiments?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Front Bags

Post by Tony Z »

Just get some Zircon sand, dry it out and fill the bag tight. You can try other sand, but ultimately this is where you will end up. After a while you may need to top it up if the bag sags or the sand settles.
You are going to probably or possibly see a change in POI or grouping from rifles tested in the original bag. The Caldwell bags stick to fore-ends causing them to jump or release inconsistently. They're OK for a quick sight in, but beyond that need junking. Same same for the rear bags.
Deer hide bags slicked up with talc or bags made from Cordura are about as good as it gets to get the best rifle potential.
Depending on who you talk to there is a case for bounce affecting groups if the bag is too hard. Some will try multiple bags packed with more foregiving material, whatever that is. The reason i say this is that bounce is a function of poor stock design or poor material. A good stock will work if the front rest was a house brick. Some bags i have seen over the years are about as hard as a house brick, which actually contravenes BR rules. It was said to me that in past years that a little cement was added to the sand where over time the bag would set like concrete. In BR terms that was and still is illegal, but it seems that there is a train of thought a bag can never be too hard. I don't know as i never did it.

While this is really more about rear bags, it is still worth a read and the sand used is applicable to front bags as well.
http://www.6mmbr.com/sandcomparison.html
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info.

For the want of materials I'll start with Sydney washed sand (aka beach sand). I'll have to pack a bit more in it seems.

Again thanks.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Rabbitz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info.

For the want of materials I'll start with Sydney washed sand (aka beach sand). I'll have to pack a bit more in it seems.

Again thanks.
Maybe check out a sand blaster and get some Garnet blasting media?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Sydney washed sand is a bit of a misnomer as it comes from Williamtown lol

Rabbitz see if you can find some dried Sydney sand Quality Sands down Lavis lane (The road you access Stockton Beach)do the job
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

mick_762 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:31 pm Maybe check out a sand blaster and get some Garnet blasting media?
I thought about that but they weren't on site at the dry dock when I went looking.
MISSED wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 am Sydney washed sand is a bit of a misnomer as it comes from Williamtown lol

Rabbitz see if you can find some dried Sydney sand Quality Sands down Lavis lane (The road you access Stockton Beach)do the job
The stuff they mine in the Hunter does come from Sydney - every time we have a big storm and the beaches disappear.

I actually had a bag of Quality Sands Sydney sand in the shed. I use it for mixing into potting mix for pineapples, who don't like wet feet.

Now that the bag is filled I just need to get the other ingredients needed to go shooting:
Time;
Money.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Super cheap auto sells buckets of sand blasting grit. That’s what’s in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Is using some of these coarse compounds a really wise move? I would hate to think what would happy if a little blasting grit (or other suggestions) leaked out and got into the chamber of a rifle.

As I don't do comps, I figured rice would do in mine. At least if I end up starving during a zombie apocalypse I know where I can get a meal or two from. :roll:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

The Raven wrote:Is using some of these coarse compounds a really wise move? I would hate to think what would happy if a little blasting grit (or other suggestions) leaked out and got into the chamber of a rifle.

As I don't do comps, I figured rice would do in mine. At least if I end up starving during a zombie apocalypse I know where I can get a meal or two from. :roll:
You can also transport weevils across state lines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

The Raven wrote:Is using some of these coarse compounds a really wise move? I would hate to think what would happy if a little blasting grit (or other suggestions) leaked out and got into the chamber of a rifle.

You might have to demonstrate how to get sand out of a bag under your Doreen’s for not your chamber. Sounds like a neat trick

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

trevort wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:40 am

You might have to demonstrate how to get sand out of a bag under your Doreen’s for not your chamber. Sounds like a neat trick

spell check you retard. :roll:
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I grabbed some grit out of my sand blaster to fill mine. it gave me an excuse to buy some more too!
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Camel wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 am
spell check you retard. :roll:
Or is that Guinness check??
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Rob Dashooter has some pretty impressive "front bags" in his avatar. :wink:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I can’t make out Trev’s reply other than the implication that getting sand etc out of the bag and into the rifle is fairly slim.

Noting most bags are pretty well sealed these days I could see a small possibility/eventuality of some grit (Whatever) leaking. If you use a range bag etc then some could be transferred closer to the action than I’d like.

Perhaps me being somewhat risk averse thinking the idea of using an abrasive near machined parts... :)