went to my first PRS 22lr match today in Sydney

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

went to my first PRS 22lr match today in Sydney

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Hi All, well it seems other states are leading the way in running these PRS type matches, mainly south Australia. anyway I wanted to see if any were being shoot close to Sydney and found the 22 prs facebook page for the south Australian matches, they said that the SSAA Silverdale range in western Sydney was running them, so I found out the dates and they are run on the first saturday of the month starting at 9am sharp !!! be there before 9am to book in. anyway there was only five shooters besides myself as this is only the 3rd time it been run and it was run well!! . it closely copies the format of the matches run in the USA, and I have provided a few links below,
The rifles used at the match were mostly savages and three shooters were left handed,and savage sells a left handed model, the other three rifles were CZ's and most of the guys were using 3x9x40 scopes, I was told of one guy trying to use the hubble telescope on his rifle!!!!!! it was a 10x50x50, well that's plain silly for a match like this, the biggest scope would be a 6x24x50 as anything bigger just slows you down.
I just bought an Athalon Ares 2.5x15x50 in first focal plane as it focuses down to 10m, and allows you to see the bullet holes at 50m with ease plus has a great field of view, and i have a label on my stock stock in the post below with my height settings all the way out to 100m, the only issue is it's a second focal plane scope and I had to adjust the height dial between ranges as the MOA scale in the reticle is only accurate at 11X zoom according to the manual, but with the first focal plane scope I can use the hash marks at any power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAgA97UK8c

NRL22 Tactical 22LR Competition Utah #1 of 2017
www.youtube.com
If you enjoyed the video PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to our channel and share this video with your friends on social media.
THIS SECOND VIDEO IS BETTER and was a bit closer to our shoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHMV8G9EQk&t=422s

Precision 22 LR Tactical Match - Know Your ... - YouTube
www.youtube.com
Clips from the infamous "Know Your Limits" stage of the July 2014 22 LR Marksman Challenge. This time the KYL was set at 30 yards with 8 swinging steel targets...
Last edited by lee_enfield223 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: went to my first PRS 22lr match today in Sydney

Post by The Raven »

That looks like a lot of fun.

Challenging as you need to know what your combo does at various ranges (plus scope twiddling).

What combo did you use, particularly on the scope (noting the Utah guys tended to be using some rather large stuff for .22s)?
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by lee_enfield223 »

I used a CZ/BRNO 453 in 22lr with a 2x16x44 sightron S-TAC scope with a McMillian 40A1 stock and Lilja match barrel and SK standard plus subsonic ammo. here's a picture of the rifle, the ssaa does not !! allow pictures to be taken so cannot post any of the match ,the pic of my rifle shows it with a nightforce scope which has been replaced with the sightron which has better optics than the shv, which really surprised me !! SEE MY UPDATED POST ABOVE for added information
Attachments
cz 453 mcmillian varmint gif.gif
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Nice rifle not surprised by your view on the S_Tac V SHV