New record

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

New record

Post by Brad Y »

Looks like there is a new benchmark to have a go at... this game isn’t getting any easier!

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread ... n.3957033/
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: New record

Post by Seddo »

That’s amazing
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

well hes using a 6bra, same stock as me same action same scope. I better lift my game
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Brilliant.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Brad the 6 mils are killing it with records over the last 5 years or so. What is very interesting is not only are the group records slowly being taken by them in all three sanctions in the US, so are the score records in relation to 6 and 10 match as well as individual card records as the one you linked just did.
Of interest is the Williamsport group record set with a Dasher in light gun. That LG group record, i recall at around 2.5", is smaller by a fair margin than either the IBS or NBRSA HG record. Both rifle classes at Williamsport shoot 10 shot matches as opposed to 10 for HG and 5 for LG in the other two sanctions for those not aware.

The pattern forming is 32 to 36 grain, powder not water, base of neck maximum capacity case. So its 6 BR based or very close to it. H4895, Re15 and Varget are the three main powders used. Varget is hit and miss in the US with complaints of temp sensitivity, from maximum loads i would say, but complaints more about batch lot variation. My bet is those using Varget is from far older batches stockpiled which at $20 a pound is very likely. Primers see CCI 450s dominating but all others are still there somewhere. Bullets are from 103 to 108 grains mainly but the 107 SMK has all but disappeared yet many of the custom bullets offered now use Sierra jackets.
What is coming out also is throat lengths and their angles. There are throats that favor secant ogive or tangent ogive and seem to not cross over. This throat angle matching is far from new here but not so in the US. Though Shehane has altered angles for years where those buying his reamers from Kiff are probably and blissfully unaware. Charles Ellertson recently said, there is no such thing as a hummer barrel, only hummer bullets and hummer reamers and then set about to buy that match winning reamer. I agree.

Barrel brands are all there somewhere but Brux is racking up an impressive list of records. Krieger as well. So cut barrels may have an edge here and this record may make it near impossible to get one. Luckily i got my Brux just before some of these group records were shot.

Either way that is an astonishing group at a very tough range where there are no rising targets, only clays on the mound for sighting which makes the placement of the group even more astonishing. So like the 1.9xx, the 1.5xx", the 1.406", and the 1.3xx" before it, they were all deemed to be never bettered. I disagree completely. At Williamsport (rising targets) the markers plot and number each record shot on a card for shooter information and feedback. There has been countless first 5 shot patterns shot in both of their classes well under the inch.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Let’s just hope the 6 BR ackley reamer sitting on my reloading bench will be a hummer too!
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Gives us something to aim for at Narromine-Dubbo doesn't it?
They must really be doing every single little trick as far as brass prep, loading, gun/bag set up and tuning.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I think I read he was using 2206h so I’ve worked out I just need to change powder and I’ll be setting records

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

It would be interesting to know what the weather conditions were like. Would like to some of these top yank shooters try Townsville at times.
Cheers,
Trevor.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Old Trev-39 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm It would be interesting to know what the weather conditions were like. Would like to some of these top yank shooters try Townsville at times.
Cheers,
Trevor.
Or Narromine-Dubbo

We need to start up 1000yd BR at Wingham range if we want decent conditions
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Trev the bits i read about the match report says it was typical Hawkes Ridge weather. Whatever that may mean but that range is not like Missoula or Williamsport that can have fog shut the range for hours. It is known as a tough range where many are surprised that such a small group was achieved there. Having said that, i have seen 4 shots of five in a LG go around the inch mark on four occasions that i can recall. I did it twice, Al Hickmott did it once when i loaned him my gun. Someone else has done it along the line somewhere. So it is possible, unlikely, but possible to see it on our range.
Or as JR would put it, the wind blew them in. I would agree where previous form with a rifle tells the story, especially if it fails to deliver a match win. The reason why we pay zero attention to one off groups, but aggregates over the match or year. That is what will win Narromine. Six targets over three days. Or in my case, 54 holes at the local golf club :mrgreen: