Bergara barrels.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Bergara barrels.

Post by Tony Z »

Having recently set up two barrels for the 636, i had the opportunity to get a first look at one of Bergara's 6mm barrels so thought i would pass on what i think of this barrel. This barrel is 28 inches long, 1 in 8 twist 1.250" parallel.

Firstly for those that don't know, Ed Shilen was instrumental in helping Bergara set up their most recent barrel manufacturing process. And then some. Shilen stated in one of his last interviews before he passed away that Bergara had access to the best barrel steel he had seen that was made in a local Spanish mill.
I never polish any chambers because a slippery side wall only adds to bolt thrust and case lengthening that gives false pressure readings. The chamber on this Bergara barrel looked as if someone had spent a lot of time polishing it because of the way it cut so clean. About similar to the very early Broughton barrels made of 410 stainless as opposed to the almost universal 416. Sorry to say but i purposely roughed up the chamber walls to grip the brass better. Threads cut super clean with no dags or burrs. Muzzle was same. Dialing the barrel in showed that the bore and OD were extremely concentric. Less than a thou TIR.
Before the barrel was chambered it was slugged and inspected with a borescope. Then lastly it was gauged with Deltronic pins at 0.2370" at the chamber and 0.2369" at the muzzle. The 0.2370" pin slid to about 3 inches from the muzzle before coming to a halt.
If you research the factory and the process they use to make these barrels, the end product it is exactly as they state. The internals of this barrel is flawless. Too shiny for some like myself who believe highly polished barrels can foul badly leaving copper streaks or skid marks that are extremely difficult to remove. I was nervous but the barrel never fouled and showed no copper at all during any stage.

As to how it shot, i will keep that to myself at this time but will say i may have chosen the wrong barrel to go into the heavy gun. The Brux in the HG is very good at such an early stage at 80 or so rounds through it so it is a big call.

As for cost, under $400 delivered to my door from the importer. Yes you read that right. $400. A mass produced barrel that has 50 years of Shilens' knowledge all over it and in my view one of the best barrel steels i have ever machined and probably the best buttoned barrel i have seen. I've seen most all of them. Time will tell how it aggregates at 600 as a LG barrel and it may well see the 1000 at Narromine. Takes a lot to impress me, being an obnoxious fuck that dissects sales pitches and marketing hype, but i am impressed.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: Bergara barrels.

Post by LoneRider »

do they have,have you looked at a .308 barrel ? i just might be interested enough to invest..
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Appreciate the fine analysis...a honest, humble, expert opinion if I ever heard (read) one.

Alas, for us humble folk we are ignorant of such niceties.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

LoneRider wrote:do they have,have you looked at a .308 barrel ? i just might be interested enough to invest..
You didn’t read Ned Kelly’s recent post about specials at the vra shop. 308 bergara blank 180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

a gunsmith i know had one and he like the finish but said it didn't shoot as well as his other barrel. I think its a fire form barrel now. Just because it might not match up as a target barrel doesn't mean it wont make a great hunting barrel.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

trevort wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:11 am
LoneRider wrote:do they have,have you looked at a .308 barrel ? i just might be interested enough to invest..
You didn’t read Ned Kelly’s recent post about specials at the vra shop. 308 bergara blank 180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nope,i dont read every post on here trev... :wink:
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I thought i would update how the fire forming barrel is going. Got to the range this morning after the disaster of last weekend that never saw a shot fired.

200 meters with just a little left to right breeze that drifted shots way more than i expected as seen by the first group on the left.

Testing of seating depth with the very old and longer than current 107 SMKs (1.280") at the standard base setting of 10 thou out, then 30 thou out then finally 10 thou jam. Bergers at 10 thou out one last time to once again declare them ordinary in both 636 barrels and once again can be clearly seen as more slippery in the breeze with less drift and a higher impact evident even at this short range.
All powder charges were 33.2 grains of Re15 and the usual 450 primer.
Inconclusive results as there was enough change in mirage and breeze to pop a shot. Last week would have been ideal to do this test at far longer range but didn't happen. At least now i have fire formed all cases with the barrel at 51 rounds old.
The barrel cleans very easily and shows the same Maddco mud that those barrels are well known for. Still looking good as far as potential goes, but like all LGs needs to be steered rather than sitting behind a dead log of a heavy gun. Having to re-learn how to drive these things.
Attachments
20180721_125739.jpg
20180721_093920.jpg
Wilson85
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Wilson85 »

Who is the importer for Bergara Barrels mate? I haven’t seen anyone advertising them
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Don't know the importer but Magnum Sports in Syndny are retailing them at $465.
So someone in Queensland will have them at that or better.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

Wilson85
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Wilson85 »

Thanks mate
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I bought one from the VRA shop. $275

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Seddo »

kickinback wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:21 am I bought one from the VRA shop. $275

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's a fair bit under wholesale price