Brainstorming a new action.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Brainstorming a new action.

Post by Tony Z »

Over a number of years i have been asked to replicate the HG action i did in 2003 for aJR. Requests from locals to the US.
I have a window now where i will look to build a number of these. Unfortunately all are spoken for already.

So the question is if you were in the market what would be on the wish list for an action. Remember this is single shot right hand heavy gun LR BR only.

So far the definites are as they mostly are on JRs Remroid action, Jewell trigger, longer bolt handle of 100 mm plus, drop port, roller extractor, roller cocking piece, one piece bolt, integral scope rail, flat bedding surface, Tubb or Sako style extractor, cone feed, 1.25 inch diameter tenon, 60 thou firing pin, bolt release on left side, twin lug bolt, contraction cam in receiver, material either moly or 17/4 stainless, salt bath nitride finish as per JRs for those that have seen it.
Now for those that have or know of HG rifles what have i missed? Thanks in advance.
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Re: Brainstorming a new action.

Post by dg »

hi tony

congratulations and goodluck with your intitiative and venture in providing australian and overseas shooters with the opportunity to purchase your custom HG action.

i assume you intend to use one for your own HG !!!!! :D :D

(maybe serial no. TZ 2016 SCC)

cheers
dave
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Tony

Adjustable trigger hanger similar to BAT so you can get rid of any cock on close and make closing the bolt easy so it wont upset a gun in the bags or slow the shooter down if trying to run and gun before a change in condition. Just have to make sure having the adjustable hanger you can maintain enough firing pin fall for good consistent ignition.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Thanks for bringing that up Brad. There is something i had done in my own HG now long gone but have omitted from the list. Sear engagement and pin protrusion was adjustable in it as was the ability to dismantle the bolt in seconds in case of a blanked primer. JRs is very quick to dismantle but was fixed timed to the trigger in the first click like the Tukka 55s but there is no adjustment of any sort. His has teflon buttons on the shroud to control its rotation during both cocking and firing to eliminate the disruption of a 10mm pin fall and a firing pin weighing twice that of a standard Rem 700. But yes that is certainly a consideration but there will be no hanger as it is the easy option, but a very limiting one. Actually the one in my Diamondcrap really sucked.

DG, no chance of me getting one to Narromine in 2016. Or 2017.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Tony
Im only just getting to grips with action/trigger timing and with a new action arriving soon Im keen to have a good look to see how it all measures up. The trigger is fixed in by the standard pins. On my previous action by that maker, the trigger (a kelbly) actually wasnt picking up the cocking piece as it was all too long. My gunsmith at the time ground material off the cocking piece then we lost firing pin protrusion so he ground some off the cocking piece ramp and then got really hard bolt lift. Im actually looking at getting someone to make me some custom sized sears for the trigger before any metal gets removed. Jim Borden times each action he sells with a jewel trigger which is a strong selling point for his actions. BAT have the adjustable hangers which are a strong selling point for their actions. I think something that you can adjust these sorts of thing with or have them pre timed with a trigger would be a big attraction for serious LRBR shooters.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Brad have a look at how the Savage model 12s are set up with their firing pins. Total waste of time for such a poor trigger, but the adjustment you can do with the pin is what many custom actions should have.
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Hi Tony,

The only other thing I would look at if the tenon size. Is it possible to go a little larger, say 1.3, or 1.35. Even if I had to set up some sort of thrust washer between the barrel and action, which perhaps also centred the stretcher tube? Reason being that it is still possible with the Redneck to push the back of the chamber out, both JR and I have both done it. If that means we only run 1.5 or 2 in barrels, so be it.

Jeff
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Its sort of like teasing us. Tell me what you would want but you cant have one :?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Limited market anyway Seddo. Basically building a small number for those who have been asking for a number of years. It was always going to be a closed shop on these but there are some smart people out there that have some great ideas. For example the extraction cam and roller idea was stolen directly off an action PVM had shown me in the early 2000s. Really my input has been just the angle drop port, everything else already existed. The only thing i look to do is steal the good ideas, dump the bad.

JR spoke to me about it today, he says he wants a shorter bolt lift and travel The action will have a shorter stroke and the bolt lift will be like the T3s at 75 degrees. May not sound like much but both coupled together takes about a couple of tenths off the cycle time. Two seconds may not sound like much in a ten shot string, but it is. Unfortunately 1K BR has come down to this, speed is a definite advantage where 20 seconds for ten shots is 5 seconds too long.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I'm looking for a specific here.

The drop port can be a blessing and a curse. With those in 6PPC or similar the area forward of the port easily controls the cartridge at rest waiting to be fed, being such a short overall cartridge length. With the magnum cases not so.
The reference by JR to shorten the travel required by the bolt creates a Catch 22. Too short, port allows the unfired cartridge to tilt backwards and cause a hangup if a mistake is made. Too long and the bolt closing time is affected. I have had a number of ideas come to mind to close the port by a slide or hinged plate timed in reverse to firing pin position. There is no reason that i can see that if successful the total bolt travel could be shorter than a short action Rem 700 to drop an empty 375 HH case and that is exactly what the aim is. Remember only empty cases are considered.

For those familiar with drop port actions, how would you go about closing the port? The timing and connector side i have worked out but the best way to close the port i have not.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Maybe borrowing ideas from the Borden Bump and have generous bolt clearances until the bolt closes.
Can the loading port be higher up, facing down so that cases can be easily dropped in?
Can I be added to the standbye list as my heavy gun is looking for its own action instead of being swapped in and out of my F class rifle? :D
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Tony- good luck in your fabrication efforts. Sounds like it will be a great action. I have a RBLP pierce multiflat coming. The lock time on the pierces is supposedly very good and Im happy with their quality of work from the last action. Best of all their lead time isnt bad. Ordered in december and if they arent in transit now I know they are sitting ready to be sent.
jacko-2
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm

Post by jacko-2 »

hi tony , good to see u put your talent to use,,ill hav 3 ,,lol just my one cent worth,,dont know about the drop port because with the trigger and port , it lets most stocks flex in this area,,ive just about finished my new stock , which i beefed up in the trigger area, dont know if it will shoot ,,may be its to stiff ?,,anyway it will be ready soon,my bat never shot untill i took to it with a angle grinder and sledge hammer lol,, the tolerance woz to tight,,now it works and r more than happy with RBLPRE,,
cheers jacko