.22 silhouette

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
aam
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22 Hornet

.22 silhouette

Post by aam »

I'm thinking of taking up .22 silhouette. Just wondering what type of ammo you blokes might be using for this sport?
Bought some RWS R-100 not long ago, will this be ok?
Should I be looking at velocity and, or, BC of the projectile?
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Re: .22 silhouette

Post by daisy »

Shoot what ever your gun likes. R-100 should be fine. These days I shoot Auto Match as both my CZs, heavy and hunter like it, and so does my Marlin 39a that I shoot cowboy lever action silhouette with.
Main thing is to have fun.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Rarely shoot scoped silhouette and when I do its only with cheap ammo. If the ammo will shoot 1" at 50 then you wont be missing targets due to the ammo.
Shoot a bit of lever action silhouette using the cheap federal bulk box ammo, did shoot a couple of groups off the bench with it and about 1.5" was as good as I could do with open sights at 50. Still Ive managed AAA scores with it and really the only thing preventing a 40/40 is the shooter.

While top of the line ammo might give you more confidence, shooting 4 or 5 times for the same cost will do more for your scores and in the end give even more confidence. My take on silhouette is while a tack driving rifle/ammo combination might be nice a better shooter even with a 2moa combination will win every time.

Besides if your using R-100 you've eliminated one more thing you can blame the misses on and if you get into silhouette you will be looking for all the excuses you can :lol:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

220 wrote:Rarely shoot scoped silhouette and when I do its only with cheap ammo. If the ammo will shoot 1" at 50 then you wont be missing targets due to the ammo.
Shoot a bit of lever action silhouette using the cheap federal bulk box ammo, did shoot a couple of groups off the bench with it and about 1.5" was as good as I could do with open sights at 50. Still Ive managed AAA scores with it and really the only thing preventing a 40/40 is the shooter.

While top of the line ammo might give you more confidence, shooting 4 or 5 times for the same cost will do more for your scores and in the end give even more confidence. My take on silhouette is while a tack driving rifle/ammo combination might be nice a better shooter even with a 2moa combination will win every time.

Besides if your using R-100 you've eliminated one more thing you can blame the misses on and if you get into silhouette you will be looking for all the excuses you can :lol:
What Sean said! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aam
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22 Hornet

Post by aam »

Thank you for the feed back everyone. :)
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Should have said don't worry about velocity or BC at all, all ranges are known and don't change so how flat a round shoots isn't really relevant.
Shoot groups at the exact ranges the silhouette targets are set at and work out your drop for each bank of targets, put a target knob on your elevation adjustment and dial up for each.
Unless you use something like Z's or CCI quite you wont have a problem with targets not falling with a solid hit so no need to worry about that side of thing either.
morerams
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by morerams »

You need to check your ammo at 100m, it is not all uncommon for ammo to shoot well out to the turkeys @77m and be pretty ordinary in the accuracy department at 100m, like 20% would miss a ram usually vertically.
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by sometime shooter »

Generally standard velocity ammo is best as you are already sub sonic so no trans sonic blues to worry about. I use Winnie sub sonic max in my cz but am not shooting silhouette as live two hrs from Canberra or mudgee. I used to use federal match ammo up in Brissie use what shoots best in your rifle but keep in mind that you can't use stingers or other hyper velocity ammo as it will damage the target's which annoys the club
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

morerams wrote:You need to check your ammo at 100m, it is not all uncommon for ammo to shoot well out to the turkeys @77m and be pretty ordinary in the accuracy department at 100m, like 20% would miss a ram usually vertically.
Very true. And the vertical is more important on a "wide" target like rams. So checking at 50m and 100 is important. I use SK rifle, simply because I shoot paper as well, so I buy it by the brick, but should probably try CCI standard, as it's half the price and the 15-20mm groups I get with it on paper at 50 should be adequate for silho at my standard. But before I do I'll be checking it on paper at 100.

regards, curan