ANy fly shooters out there?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Waldo
.270 Winchester

ANy fly shooters out there?

Post by Waldo »

Hi All,

Been up since 4.00AM starting to feel a bit tired, snuck out to do a spot of deer spotting this morning.

Anyway, back on track been thinking about trying my hand at flyshooting, nah not the pesky blowies the paper type. Was thinking the 5.6x57 would probably be suitable (?) and the practice on a regular basis surely wouldn't hurt :lol:

So, any fly shooters out there?

What do I need to know if anything, my life is pretty complicated so wanna keep this simple if I can, just have some fun and maybe improve some skills (should be some scope for that :roll: )

Cheers,
Waldo
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Re: ANy fly shooters out there?

Post by justjeff »

Hi Waldo, I've only shot a few, but the biggest thing I think is to think score, not group. Group will get you some points, but the meat is in the score shoot, so a scope that allows you to see bullet holes at 500m on a good day would help. Can be a lot of fun, that blow fly can be pretty elusive.

My two bob's worth,

Jeff
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Been to the odd Fly shoot so can probably give some advice.
Where are you located?

First things first ... Fly shooting (all long range shooting in fact) is terribly addictive and can become a life long challenge and cost. YOU HAVE NOW BEEN WARNED.

You can shoot the fly with a 223 for all intents and purposes. I shot a few club matches with 223's and a 220 once using hunting loads ie 55grn Speer SP's and Nosler 50grn Shots. I did not win these matches but that was not my intention, a bit of fun and practice was and they achieved both these goals.

As for scopes you need to have an aiming mark which is clearly visable so a quality scope helps as does higher magnification but the biggest issue is the 20MOA you need to pick up in elevation.

Feel free to pm me or ask more questions but yes the rifle will go the distance, can you raise the scope? Where are you so I can recommend a nearby range?
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have shot a few nothing with customs etc. My advice is a decent rest and rear bag. Spotting scope and a big smile :-)
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I have shot a few with a factory Tikka. Being able to read the wind will do you no harm at all.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Thanks guy's, just looking to improve my skills a bit and have a bit of fun. Tagging roos late last year really did show up a few inconsistencies in my technique at longer range I believe so it will if nothing else force me to tidy up my game a bit.

Rinso, Wodonga SSAA is pretty handy and they do a 300m flyshoot I believe (probably should join SSAA eh, I've been there a bit lately and have some more development to do so should join anyway).

Cheers,
Waldo
Last edited by Waldo on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Mate,
The 300 Fly is a good start point for factory gear so yes that will do.
I also suggest you pm Ackley Improved on this forum he is from Albury, in fact there are a few handy Fly shooters in your area but AI would have all the local knowledge around there.
You will need at least a bi pod and rear bag. Ackley Improved (Trevor) has shot some good scores using just these in major Fly shoots so can tell you about best technique.
If you cant get him let me know.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Wagga fly in March 300 and 500. Happy to help you get started. I'll be there as I'm scoring it and shooting it. If you need help with your score I drink fine scotch.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Thanks Chappo, I'll give that some thought. I'll more than likely be in Wagga for a skeet shoot in March so maybe another trip may be on the cards, whats the date?

Hopefully I'll have the 5.6 fully sorted by then :roll:

Rinso, thanks mate I'll touch base with AI sometime soon. I do need to get a decent rear bag as my impromptu home made bag does leave a bit to be desired it does however work better than the dunny roll I used one day when I left it behind :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

Post by sometime shooter »

Have you given any thought to f class. They shoot that almost every weekend depending where you are. Here in Bathurst we get interrupted by those pesky car races. Pretty similar really f class shooters are trying to hit the super center on the target which from memory is pretty close to the fly. I started shooting it whith a factory spec t3 in 6.5x55 with only a 3-9 scope and managed some super centers all the way out to 700 yards. It comes down to reading the wind more than anything cause sometimes you have to shoot in the wind. Anyway just my two cents with. Oh and I concur with the guy who said its addictive just got an Omark with a maddco stainless barrel and waiting on Bushnell elite scope for it
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Nah SS, I haven't considered F class but to be honest I know bugger all about rifle shooting classes. I've been a shotgun comp shooter off and on for quite a number of years but have never gotten into the rifle side of things.

I have joined the SSAA just because I have some development to do so thought I may as well join, I'll get a few things sorted out then maybe look into a couple of options?

That said autumn and winter is on its way, so I'll soon be a bit busy :hunting:

Thanks,
Waldo
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

No worries got my scope in the mail yesterday so probably gonna be some more pics in the rifle section soon when I get it all set up and sighted in :D . Which if the rain holds off should be this afternoon.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

sometime shooter wrote:Have you given any thought to f class. They shoot that almost every weekend depending where you are. Here in Bathurst we get interrupted by those pesky car races. Pretty similar really f class shooters are trying to hit the super center on the target which from memory is pretty close to the fly. I started shooting it whith a factory spec t3 in 6.5x55 with only a 3-9 scope and managed some super centers all the way out to 700 yards. It comes down to reading the wind more than anything cause sometimes you have to shoot in the wind. Anyway just my two cents with. Oh and I concur with the guy who said its addictive just got an Omark with a maddco stainless barrel and waiting on Bushnell elite scope for it
Mate get to a Fly shoot ... Canberra is an easy drive, Wagga and Batemans Bay are not bad for distance either so plenty to choose from. You will learn more at a Fly match if you watch and listen than you will in 6 months of shooting at Bathurst.
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington

So rinso have you shot the Bathurst range out to 900 yards the wind is never coming from a constant direction, oh and I wasn't saying to come up and shoot at Bathurst simply that to get practice at shooting at range f class is shot more often.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

sometime shooter wrote:So rinso have you shot the Bathurst range out to 900 yards the wind is never coming from a constant direction, oh and I wasn't saying to come up and shoot at Bathurst simply that to get practice at shooting at range f class is shot more often.
Yes mate I have shot at Bathurst many times and Lyndhurst as well. I assume the same old crowd is still there, Bathurst does not change much.
Yes you can shoot F Class every week but what are you learning?????
Go to one of the Fly matches its a bit like a Queens only with a bunch of blokes who will help you and share information, technique and even equipment. Trust me you will learn a bucket load.