Townsville results from the 2 events held this weekend

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Townsville results from the 2 events held this weekend

Post by justjeff »

Guys,

Results from the 500m and 1000 yd events up here. Weather was hot, humid, with twitchy winds and lots of mirage. I turned a perfectly good 6" group into a 13 in the last 2 shots, only took me 7 minutes to shoot it, was just that sort of day.

Jeff
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: Townsville results from the 2 events held this weekend

Post by macca »

Another lovely day in paradise. Wind has been a pain this year. It's been about ten years since it has been this persistent for this long down here.
Cheers
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Wish I could have been up there. I have heard people from all over Australia saying it has been a windy year this year compared to "normal".
justjeff
22-250 Remington

Post by justjeff »

Yep,

Our winds have been more downrange than cross range these last couple of years. Makes it tough when you have 4 flags telling you 4 different things. Narromine seems to at least have clean wind, even if there is heaps of it. The Nevermind bullets I'm shooting this year don't seem to mind a tail or head wind much, the 6.1 at Narromine was into a freezing headwind, but like all bullets, when it twitches side to side, you will sooner or later, like the 9th and tenth shot, get caught out. Turns a 6" into a 13, as happened to me Sunday.

Jeff
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

Jeff

with your high humidity, does the mirage remain visible during the high winds?

is it constant in appearance or does it vary with the wind velocity?

at our last match on the october long weekend, despite the strong winds ( with lower humidity), at no stage during the day did i notice or see mirage which we would normally see at that time of the year.

but, then maybe it was there and i was unable to detect it :?: :?:

good to see Al back and shooting.

cheers
dave
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Gday Dave

There was plenty of mirage and yep it will give you a read on speed and direction if you can actually read it which after dropping one off the paper on the first card it was obvious I had no idea :lol:

It was good to get to a match again. Hopefully again next month.
justjeff
22-250 Remington

Post by justjeff »

Dave,

The mirage stays there with the wind and humidity, the big difference though is cloud cover. When the clouds come over, the mirage departs. Funnily enough, the best time to shoot up here is the wet season, it's hot, humid, but often overcast and or raining. Rain in the wet is good because it is generally accompanied be consistant, gentle winds, with of course no mirage. The only limiting factor is whether or not you can still see the target. Our mirage tends to give a read on direction, but with so many obstacles in the form of trres, gaps in the trees, and the gully formation, where your reading is anyone's guess.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Jeff