Club Transparency and the Value of Sponsorship

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Club Transparency and the Value of Sponsorship

Post by dg »

General Club/Organisation Transparency /Accountability and the Value of Match Sponsors.

Over a considerable period of time i have been aware of and at times involved in discussions with competitors who have and continue to question the justification and procedures implemented by clubs and organisations to set and charge fees relating to - match entries/club membership/ annual fees etc.

The general concern seems to relate to the fact that information detailing the reasons for setting these charges, is rarely, if at all made readily available.

Without doubt, if members/competitors make the effort to write/phone the various clubs/organisations and then display the required patience to request contact with the appropriate people, ask the correct questions and then be prepared to “jump through all the hoops”, this type of information can usually be obtained, but the point of view from most, is that this type of information should be much more easily available and accessible.

In relation to these matters of interest and concern, perhaps someone can provide an explanation why clubs and organisations rarely display or provide the appropriate levels of transparency to members/competitors???????

If this was the case, members/competitors would have the facts and details made available to answer and satisfy all of these and other concerns and totally eliminate questions or statements similar to the following:-

“where does all the money go?”,

“we’re getting ripped off !!”

“how can the club/organisation justify the match/membership fees?”,

“to what extent do sponsorships offset the match fees charged?”,

“don’t they (the clubs and organisations) appreciate, ever consider or even take into account the Total Costs for competitors to attend and participate at their scheduled events?”

As an example, at N-D we have no problems detailing the costs and expenditure associated with organising and running the recent 2015 SCC.

To elaborate:-

Associated costs/expenditure

Supply and replacement of 50 IBS 1000yd BR targets = $100
(BTW-just ordered 100 replacement targets for 2016/17 from the National Target Company US$187 surface delivered)

Replace/Repair and refurbishment of 8 target frames = $100

Weekend Hire of Porta-Loo= $150

BBQ expenses (gas/100 sausages/oil/sauces/spread/onion) =$ 90

10 loaves bread =$20

Blue/white target/scorer patches =$24

Tea/coffee/foam cups/sugar/milk/spoons/gas/bikkies etc =$50

Prizes/Commerative Caps

45 caps for competitors/sponsors-in Australia and IBS =$ 511.36

6 Embroidered Jackets(HG Score, HG Group, LG Score , LG Group, LG Group, LG Score +postage delivery)=$480

Jnr Encouragement Award /308-223 Group Agg/Score Agg Laser Engraved Travel Mugs (7 off) =$ 186.73

Total Expenses = $1712.09

Income

Match Fees

Competitors shooting 2 classes =9x80=$720

Single Class Competitors = 20x50= $1000

Donations= $200

Total Income =$1920

2015 SCC Profit to N-D Club = $207.91

Sponsorships

As most are now aware, all competitors have the opportunity to win some substantial prizes in the “draw from a hat” proceedings at the completion of the SCC match.

This year, we were indeed fortunate to receive wonderful support from ExtraVision (Brisbane) and Optimus Projectiles (Darwin).

ExtraVision provided and donated optical items to the value of $1365

(2 Crossfire 10x50 Binoculars, 1 12x50 Crossfire Binocular, 1 Spektar 9-27x50 Zoom Spotting Scope, plus banners/accessories etc)

Optimus Projectiles provided and donated 1000 155grain 30cal HBC projectiles = $410/500=$820

Narromine and Dubbo Businesses provided draw prizes to the value of $250.

Total Sponsorship Value =$2435

As can be seen from the above figures and information, our match fees basically, only cover the costs of the set prizes and running the event.

Without sponsorship and without increasing match fees to compensate, the “draw from a hat” prize option would not exist.

Some may have already deduced, that in the absence of sponsorship, using 2015 participation numbers/figures--- ($2435 /38 positions= $64), to provide equivalent overall prizes (match and “draw from the hat” inclusive), the existing ND SCC match fees would have to be increased from $50 to $114 per class.

- NOT GOING TO HAPPEN JAN !!!!!!!

To elaborate even further, it needs to remembered, reinforced and appreciated, that ExtraVision and Optimus Projectiles have over many years provided prizes to our International 1000yd BR Postal Matches to the value of many thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I suppose the point of all of the above, is to draw attention and maybe generate some thought consideration or interest to the proposition that improved internal communication and mutual respect between clubs and members and externally with the shooting related industries can only be of benefit to us all, both now and in the future.

cheers
dave g
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: Club Transparency and the Value of Sponsorship

Post by Waldo »

WOW that was a big read and I'd probably need to go back thru it to thoroughly get all the points.

I have spent some time on committees of a gun club in varied positions (secretary and treasurer as well as general committee member) and the only advice I have to offer to anyone who is dissatisfied with how things are run or want to know more is to turn up at an AGM and jump on the committee. It really does open ones eyes to what is involved and a gun club is no different to any other "business" in that it needs to make money to continue to provide the service and to improve facilities for its members.

The value of sponsorship can not be under valued so please support those who support your club where possible (yes, you can take that as a cheap shot to those that grab whatever they can from OS for the sake of a few $).

As a random shotgun sports competitor I for one never complain about targets set too far, too fast, too hard because I appreciate the effort of those who spent their free time to set them. Oh yeah and bad scores help the handicap :lol:

I feel anyone who enjoys the shooting sports should spend some time on a committee, anyway just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Waldo
dhv
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22LR

Post by dhv »

Agreed.
The only ones morally empowered to question and complain are the volunteers putting in the effort.
All the others are just paying for a service.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

That's a bloody good post there Dave, never been involved in much club stuff, and haven't thought too much on financial side of things, thanks for the insight.

DHV I like your last line. :D
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Hi Dave,

Years ago when we ran Ironman comps, we used to pay for target pullers in the butts, even though they were only teenagers supervised by an RO, it still adds considerable cost to the show. The IBS rules state that you must all take a turn pulling targets, or provide a substitute on request, so anyone who thinks pulling targets is an imposition should examine the rules more closely to see what their real obligations are.

In terms of the cost of an event, and you have given Narromine as an example, I stick by what I said prior to the event, it's too cheap. If we had to pay for the insurance as a separate item, you would be in the red, and effectively paying $50.00 a day from the whole group to the club to hire the facilities, with insurance, is way too cheap. I would be thinking more along the lines of $70 and $100 for the next event.

Jeff
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

It's a good break down of how much matches really cost, been a long time since I was involved in regular competitive shooting, but having been a committee member of a pistol club I appreciate the efforts and costs involved. And as other have said if you want to complain join the committee.

Nowadays I'm an irregular simulated field shooter due to work and family commitments, but I appreciate the time and effort put in by the members dedicated to running the competitions. Hopefully one day I can contribute a bit more again, myself.
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Hi Dave,
That was a good post. I gather from reading between the lines that you have had a few negative complaints. N.D club has done a great job, you have provided a great competition with great prizes and shown a small profit for the club.
I have spent a lot of my shooting years in various positions at state and club levels, and know what it is like to organise and run successful events. One thing one has try to manage is the cost of nominations to attract competitors and still turn out a profit for the club. If fees are set to high people will not come when total costs are calculated. It is a fine line and at times one is caught between a rock and a hard place. That is why it is important to have good sponsors and the competitors recognise this by support to their business and publicly acknowledging this support.
Well that is my 2 bobs worth and I again congratulate you and N.D Rifle Club for a great competition.
Cheers,
Trevor.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

This was a great read and applies equally to just about any other sporting club, whether it be shooting or anything else.

I've had my fair share of time on committee's, at various levels, in different types of clubs. Organising events is one of the hardest things you can do. There are always costs, and non-contributors always underestimate them AND the efforts of the volunteers.

I recall one club where the committee was chastised for not producing a high quality monthly newsletter. The member(s) questioned whether they were getting any value out of their $20 annual membership fee!! Of course, these complainants weren't volunteering or contributing in any meaningful way but happily spent $100 a week on related products etc.
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

waldo,dhv,mark,jeff, trev and raven

gents, thanks for your reponses and i appreciate your supportive comments.

i however feel that i need to re- clarify the reason for the post.

i agree with and support the right of all club members, members of the ssaa, the nraa or any shooting organisation etc to question the financial costs associated with general membership fees or costs applied when entering and attending the various competitions administered under the umbrella of these associations through their respective clubs.

i support the contention that, if overall, there was greater transparency from these organisations/clubs in relation to making well known the reasons or justification used to establish the respective membership or match fees, then the existing questions, doubts, suspicions that tend to exist, would be minimised or possibly completely eliminated.

regardless whether the event is field rifle, 1000yd BR, fly shoots, short range BR, target rifle, f class or whatever, i agree with those who in the past and now feel that this information should be more freely available.

don't competitors at queens competitions, fly shoots, 1000yd BR etc have the right to know the reasons or the factors that were allowed for or considered by the organisers in setting/establishing the respective match fees??????

basically associations, clubs, committees and members could not exist without each other and are all mutually dependant, therefore, as i said previously it would be of the benefit of all, if thought and effort was made to improve the existing methods of communication, internally within clubs and externally with the public and the shooting industry (and sponsors).

i included the income/expenditure cost structure of the 2015 SCC, purely to highlight the fact that it is quite simple for any club to provide a summary and justification/reasons for the establishment of their match fees.

i sincerely apologise if it was interpreted in the original post that we were responding to criticism directed at the SCC or the local committee- NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

as, i think is well known, generating extensive profits for the ND club has never been and will never be the reason for running and hosting the SCC. from the original days of planning and discussion, all ND members agreed that the associated profit was to be minimal and that there were much more important reasons and factors that needed to be met (or we would try to meet) each year.

others can judge or comment on the following, but our basic aim is to provide a genuine, friendly and welcoming atmosphere with an attached 2 day 1000yd BR event (and now a 3 day 1000yd BR event). hopefully following, each year’s experience, continual improvements can be made and mistakes identified and also reduced or eliminated. feedback from visitors and locals is not only welcome but of great importance.

we appreciate and do not take for granted that, so many competitors, their families and friends are prepared to take the time, effort and expense to travel extensive distances to visit the "cow paddock in the middle of nowhere".

in my simple opinion, any expressed satisfaction with or for the SCC is entirely due to the friendly attitude, co-operation and atmosphere generated by and among the attending competitors.

cheers
dave g
justjeff
22-250 Remington

Post by justjeff »

Dave,

I think you can assume you met the brief you and the club set yourselves. This is a great event, and hopefully will continue to be a great event. Does it have the best range facilities? No. Does it have the best weather? No. Is it located somewhere convenient? No, not for me. BUT, Does it have the best atmosphere? YES in spades. The informal, but very efficient organization, the support from locals, the very great support from the motel at the air strip, after all, not too many motels would be keen to have guys wandering around with guns on their premises. This all goes to make it a great event. Good work, keep it up.

Jeff
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

but our basic aim is to provide a genuine, friendly and welcoming atmosphere with an attached 2 day 1000yd BR event (and now a 3 day 1000yd BR event).
""

Well Dave, if my experience is anything to go by, you fellas sure rang the bell on this, I really don't think that you could give more welcome and support to anyone who attends the event. At times I did feel a little embarrassment with all the attention that I got from you lot, Im not used to that. Even at the motel the night I stayed there, everyone was very accommodating, it was like one big family gathering, pretty much like it has been at our Yass gatherings.

Although I did think it a bit rude when Jeff grabbed that stock from under my nose :shock: Quick or the dead, well he sure proved he wasn't the latter. :lol: :lol:

Although there is one little thing, I did notice a distinct lack of Bundy Rum cans to warm the blood a little.
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Hi Dave,
I agree with Jeff's last post.
Camel give up the Bundy and coke, it will addle your brain. Change to a good RED, and join Jeff and myself. in slowly pickling ours.
Cheers,
Trevor.
justjeff
22-250 Remington

Post by justjeff »

Camel,

If it's any consolation, you will get to see the stock next year, but with all the extra bits attached. Just glued in the pillars for the bedding this morning. Should have it all done in a few weeks, then will be shooting it as a LG.

Jeff